New Marlins 2017

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

New Marlins 2017

Post by kmittleman »

Hey Guys,

I see that Marlin has some nice Rebates right now. Do any of you know how the Remington owned 1894/1895 Marlins are as of 2017?I'd heard that they weren't so hot a few years ago. And the .44 mag versions seemed to have a reputation of jamming. Is it still that way? I love my JM stamped Marlins, but I was waiting to see how the whole Remlin thing sorted out.

Thanks!

K
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Marlins 2017

Post by wvfarrier »

I purchased a 44 just a few weeks ago. Runs like a too with 44 mag and specials.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I ordered a new 336 a few years ago that was a pile of stuff. It had to be returned to Remington for a terrible blue job and headspace issues. I I'm also hearing the new guns are better, but don't want to risk my money to find out.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Me, family, and friends have bought several Marlins between us in the past few years:

1894 in 44 mag post-Remlin
1894 in 357 mag not sure of post-Remlin but new 2016
1894's in 44 mag and 218 Bee 15 yr old or so
336/XLR's in 30-30, 35 Rem, 444 Marlin pre-Remlin
336's in 30-30, 35 Rem 25 yr old or so
336/1895 or whatever 'Cowboy' Octagon 45-70 9-shot new 2016, and another used mfg in 1990's (workmanship identical and both actions smooth).

The ONLY one that was crummy was one of the ones I purchased (less luck than my buddies); the XLR 444 Marlin had some 'issues', but nothing that affected practical use, or that a few minutes with file and rasp couldn't fix. That one was pre-Remlin.

I posted about it at the time.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=13405

Note the update towards the end of the post; the groups went from 'ok' to great with just a bit of effort on my part.

The 'dreaded Marlin Jam' is written up elsewhere on the forum, but is generally a non-issue in my opinion, fixable if needed fairly easily by replacing a part or adding a shim. As far as I know no particular change there versus manufacturing date of the 1894.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
provvv
Levergunner

Post by provvv »

Like others have said, I've heard that the quality has made a comeback recently but I'd be interested to get more definitive answers. I'd really like to be able buy the new Marlins worry-free.
Brina20
Levergunner

Post by Brina20 »

I heard the quality was better and decided to purchase an 1894 Marlin lever gun in 44 mag. Bought it new on June 21, 2017 from my local gun shop. Took it to the range on June 25th. First round of factory ammo jamed and would not load in chamber. Lever was stuck and would not move forward or backward. Fortunately another shooter had a set of screw drivers. Loosened a couple of screws and had to pry the cartridge out of the receiver. Shot the next nine shells. Loaded magazine with eight new rounds. Shot all eight without a problem. Loaded magazine again and gun jammed on the fifth cartridge. Could not clear jam at the range. Had to return home to clear jam. Tried two brands of ammo. Jammed on both. Apparently Marlin problems are not solved. Will be contacting Marlin tomorrow in hopes that they will repair gun and cover cost of shipping it to the repair facility. If they do the right thing I likely will buy another Marlin but if they do not repair gun at no cost to me will not buy another Marlin. I own eight Henry Big Boys and had problem with one gun. When Henry did not fix gun under warranty to my satisfaction I contacted the company president by email. He responded the next day by email and had an employee call me on the phone. He also saw that the gun was repaired correctly and sent me and my wife several pieces of Henry merchandise free. That is good service. Hope Marlin has as good service as Henry has. We shall see.
Brina20
Levergunner

Post by Brina20 »

Bought 1894 last week due to the rebate. Took it to range four days later. Jammed on first shell. Got it unstuck, shot 14 more shells, jammed again. Tried two brands of ammo in 44 mag. Jammed on both. Beware as my new Marlin, purchased in June 2017 jammed.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Brina20 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:08 pm Bought 1894 last week due to the rebate. Took it to range four days later. Jammed on first shell. Got it unstuck, shot 14 more shells, jammed again. Tried two brands of ammo in 44 mag. Jammed on both. Beware as my new Marlin, purchased in June 2017 jammed.

Was the test ammo JSP's (next to yellow, below), or plain lead flat points with a sharp shoulder (2 LH cartridges, below) along the nose ?

Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

I just got a 1895. It looks and functions good. I have to get to the range and test it out one day soon. Like you said great deal. In the end it ran around $385.00.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The jams you guys are talking about seem to be more ammo related than the gun. If it was the gun then it wouldn't feed/chamber/ shoot /extract,eject any ammo. Bad rim, no crimp, oal too long...
If if feeds 5 or 14 and has a hiccup at random you have to look at Ammo.

Now I'm not saying there isn't anything causing gun to not have a part in feeding issues but if you cycle the action slowly and you have issues then work it with a bit more energy. Could be the internals need some stone work to remove burrs...

If I had a new one and I had these issues I'd be making dummy rounds to diagnose it. Last resort I'd send it back.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!