Remington gurus..........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Remington gurus..........

Post by jnyork »

I recently inherited a Remington 788, .22-250. I know the history of the rifle, it has not been fired that much, spent the last 25-30 years in a closet, probably less than 100 rounds fired. It suffers from weak ejection (sorta like me :grin:) most of the time the empty winds up just lying in the action, other times it does not come out from under the extractor , requiring me to pull the bolt out to get it loose. There is no obvious damage to the extractor and the ejector spring seems very strong. Any ideas? TIA.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remington gurus..........

Post by GunnyMack »

When this is happening just how are you cycling the bolt? Most bolt guns like to be operated with some authority or they just don't eject. Try operating it like your life depends on it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remington gurus..........

Post by Pete44ru »

It could be any, all, or only a few things:

* Is the extractor still riveted in place ?

(Since the rifle still extracts, the extractor is still in the bolt but it may be loose in the bolt face extractor groove, inhibiting ejection.)

* Did you check for brass shavings in the bolt face ?

(A buildup of brass from the cartridge rim might be keeping the extractor from holding onto the empty case long enough to clear the ejection port.)

* Did you check the ejection pathway for obstructions ?

788s are known to have ejection problems because of the high ejection angle - scope base(s), ring height and the scope windage turret are the usual suspects.

(for a clear EJ pathway, it's best to rotate the scope in the rings for the old elevation turret is opposite the EJ post, the windage turret the new elevation adjustment - BUT the new turret position leaves the EJ port clear - but an alternative solution is to install higher scope rings)