Dang rat!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Dang rat!!

Post by jnyork »

Last fall we had a rat in our 34' fifth wheel, little bugger chewed some wires, which I was able to get to and splice togather, mostly the dc wiring for the Sirius radio. Didn't think much of it, put the trailer away for the winter. Getting it ready to go this spring , plugged in the shore power and dang near burned it down, bunch of wiring in the wall for the furnace control, TV antenna and a bundle of AC wiring, all kinda melted togather, managed to get the power unplugged before the whole thing erupted in flames, although there was plenty of smoke.

I cut a large piece out of the paneling and found the mess, outside of the panel was charred and black. I'm gonna have to call in an electrician, more of a problem than I want to fool with, especially the AC wiring.

Feeling very lucky we still have the trailer instead of a smoking ruin. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dang rat!!

Post by jeepnik »

Fumigate the RV with exhaust
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have two of these in vehicles....and they really work...!

https://www.mouseblocker.com/

I still keep mousetraps in the car and pickup but have only gotten three mice in the past nine months.....I used to get a couple a week in the truck and car each.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Although it didn't burn that's bad enough, good thing you weren't in a camp ground somewhere!

Years ago my JRT chewed through wire harness of my truck in his ever vigilant quest to kill chipmunks! Thankfully I only lost the dash,radio. Dealer fixed it free.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

When we lived on the farm just south of town here, we had pack rats. There were about 12 nests in the tree row around the place. They found a way into almost everything. Wires chewed off in vehicles, dog food stolen and put in interesting spots, all kinds of stuff. I trapped them with a live chipmunk size trap and it did well. A few months before we moved, I would go out at night and use a good flashlight and snipe them with a suppressed .22lr as they were sitting on limbs. That was a lot of fun.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Man, that stinks........

I just found several holes in the canvas and windows (clear vinyl) of a little-used boat cover, but boy was I irritated when I found it...

Has anyone had any luck with the "Balsam Fir" scented containers that are advertised as "safe" and "non-electric"?

The local car dealership says it works well, as they sell it for trucks -- and they say it is safe for humans and pets, and smells "like Christmas", so it's not offensive (at least there'd be no music playing Carols during the summer...).

I need something that works in my boat's cabin from April to November, but then I'd probably leave it there all winter too -- just in case -- and something like that would work well -- "IF it works".

Sorry about your problem... Can you file an insurance claim to help with the repairs, if it's insured???

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Look for a product called FRESHCAB, the same Christmas tree smell in a handy tea bag type thing. It does work.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 4:49 pm Look for a product called FRESHCAB, the same Christmas tree smell in a handy tea bag type thing. It does work.
For my vehicles the Freshcab didn't keep them out very well, but the MouseBlockers worked super well. I don't know the milliamps draw, but mine still works after 3-4 months of non-use of the vehicle, and I think their literature said it could go over a year on a charged auto battery.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "