My new baby is a pump

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

My new baby is a pump

Post by earlmck »

Friend Bill in Oregon complained that I was a little slow in showing pics of my new acquisition, so I took her outside and got her portrait. This is a 98-year old Remington 14 1/2 in 38/40 that I ransomed out of Pennsylvania through a trade for a Browning m53.
Rem14nhalf.jpg
Rem38-40.jpg
Rem3840sight.jpg
Rem3840Ammo.jpg
Thanks to the Lyman peep and the green fiber optic I can see to shoot. Just starting to play with loads, but the Lee bullet with blue lube and 7 grains of Trail Boss was real hard on tin cans when I took her out a couple days ago. Also shot the same bullet fairly well loaded considerably hotter with IMR 4227. So I have plenty room to roam with various loads even before I get another bullet (which I will as this bullet doesn't feed wonderfully in the Winny m92 I also have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: My new baby is a pump

Post by Catshooter »

Nice rifle. That faux case head is a nice touch.

Cat
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That is Beautiful.

And a Classic.

And in a Great Cartridge.

Glad it is in appreciative hands (it could have wound up rusting away in an attic, shellac-coated and fastened on some wall-plaque as a decoration, or sawed-off for under-coat use by some teenage gang wannabe).

I'm sure you will enjoy that gun...!!!

I only have one pump - a 32-20 (bought from a forumite), and I really need to shoot it more. Gotta thin the herd; even if I got to shoot once a month (I mean a real range session, not just blasting soft-drink cans), I'm not sure I'd live long enough to shoot all my guns enough to really work up good loads and so on. Maybe I'll pare down to just a dozen or so......

......or.......not. But I do need to make a list, and put on it the really cool ones, and be sure I 'exercise' them a bit.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Catshooter wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 2:14 pm Nice rifle. That faux case head is a nice touch.

Cat

AFAIK, Remington installed a real case head into the LH side of all the receivers - both the Model 14 & 141 in .35 Rem I own have the adornment.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Agree with Pete. All I have seen, owned or handled had that case head in brass on the forward upper left receiver.
Earl, you have found yet another pearl my friend -- and with aperture rear!
8)
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Earl, that IS a grand pump gun!! never had a pump in a center fire but have tried to obtain several like yours through failed
attempts ( to much of a tight wad) you just never know when one may show up in my back yard
I use that Lee mold in my 38-40 revolver & like it well

ollogger
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mmmmm...I sold one just like it a couple of years ago. What I do know is that Remington's are bored tight and mine shot super.

At the time when I sold mine Remington pumps were HOT (sold it for 12) but have since dropped 25% or so.

Earl...the time tested load is a 180 cast, sized .401 with 9 grains of Herco.....safe for all 38-40's....chrono's about 14....target load uses the same bullet but with 6 grains of Bullseye or 7 grains of 231.
Model A Uzi’s
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

mY 14 1/2 is a 44/40,and nowhere near the condition of the one we are talking about,but I finally decided If I was ever to get one of my own,I would stop chasing the 90% + ones..It does have the proper peep sight and it's a fine shooter,,After doing without one since 1952 (and that was a borrowed gun) I was dxxx glad to find it...BUT,since pump guns is our topic,I do have to tout my newest BPR, in 7mm R.M.. the BPRs have me laying off most of my 760's and successor labels,but.unfortunately it usually takes at least two Sold to finance one BPR.. Nate
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice indeed, grats and thanks for showing it. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Nice rifle Earl! I grew up with a 1892 38WCF being the big gun on the farm. I believed the gun writers that it was a weak sister in the woods until I shot a few deer with it. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A friend of my Dad had a Colt Lightning,38-40, he offered it to me but I was young & dumb at the time, I didn't buy it! Am I kicking myself?- yup almost as hard as I do when I see a 57 Vette go by... I shoulda bought that car!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

You have any huntin loads in mind and if so your gonna try and take a deer with it?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Those are cool little rifles.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

RustyJr wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:27 pm You have any huntin loads in mind and if so your gonna try and take a deer with it?

RustyJr
Rusty, I probably won't ever shoot a deer with this rifle because even if I get a deer tag I suspect I'll have a grandkid who will do the shooting part (Oregon has a program where us old pharts can "mentor" a youngster and let them shoot the critter). And my grandkid-favored deer rifles seem to be a youth 243 or a m99 Savage 250 at this time.
But I'm quite sure that 180 grain bullet pushed along about 1600 fps by 4227 would get the job done. One of these years we might get enough of a jack rabbit population for some shooting. Now that would be some serious fun with the pump!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry