Red Dot and Digital Powder Dispensers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Red Dot and Digital Powder Dispensers?

Post by JohndeFresno »

Red Dot is a useful powder, and I have a lot of it. But I hate to use it because, with my RCBS Uniflow measures and even my Lee AutoDisk dispensers, it still gives me trouble. Too time-consuming to use a scoop.

For those with digital powder dispensers, and particularly anybody with the RCBS Chargemaster or Chargemaster Lite - how does this powder fare?

Chargemaster Lite is on sale for 200 frogskins right now at Midway.

Thanks for any info!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Red Dot and Digital Powder Dispensers?

Post by earlmck »

I can't tell you about the RCBS though I'd guess they are similar to my Hornady. A couple of days ago I loaded 200 of my 44 mag casties on the proggessive press using Green Dot and in the process had one of those discoveries that make a fellow feel dumb. Like -- read the instructions, old boy. The "dots" throw +/- 0.4 to 0.5 with my progressive set-up which is probably good enough for pistols the way this kid shoots, but for rifle I like to get a lot closer so I lean heavily on the Hornady Auto Charge with them when using "dots" or big sticks. Auto Charge says it will be +/- 0.1 but I find it more like +/- 0.05

Anyway, things were going along pretty good except that about every 6 or 8 the dang old "auto charge" would do the false start thing where it would poop out a half grain or so and then just stop and wait for me to empty that little dab of powder back in the bin so it would start again. This has been an ongoing small irritation from the beginning with this scale. Then I happened to notice that as I made a down-stroke with the press the numbers showing the amount of charge being thrown would make an up/down jump. I know you are supposed to have the auto scale isolated from your press so vibrations don't affect it, and I thought I was well situated. Obviously I had been wrong!

I set up a separate table for the auto charge and it not only never made another false start, but I didn't even get an "over" signal for the rest of the loading. It looks like the little irritations I have had with the Hornady "auto charge" were of my own creation. And I'll bet the same will be true of the RCBS -- instructions say to isolate the scale from the press, and they really mean it!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Red Dot and Digital Powder Dispensers?

Post by JohndeFresno »

earlmck wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 1:14 am ...I set up a separate table for the auto charge and it not only never made another false start, but I didn't even get an "over" signal for the rest of the loading. It looks like the little irritations I have had with the Hornady "auto charge" were of my own creation. And I'll bet the same will be true of the RCBS -- instructions say to isolate the scale from the press, and they really mean it!
Thank you, Earl. It is good to know that (at least) your digital equipment plays nice with the Dots.

And upon your good advice, I will plan on setting up the powder dispenser on a side bench.