Retired! Next rifle!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Retired! Next rifle!!!!

Post by Canuck Bob »

I am retired, actually applying for disability insurance, but not going back to active work. I got mixed feelings as I like working but the big C has changed everything.

I am going to treat myself to a new rifle, maybe my last one. I have a wish list that includes Ruger #1 and 3s. A BPS in the handy 20 gauge Upland model. Maybe a lefty Canadian version of the Ruger Scout. You get the message I'm sure. I settled down and decided I would consider a lever first. After all they are the finest hunting rifles made.

One option is a bit of a surprise. Post-64 Winchesters. Do the 1967 made Canadian Centennial and the 64A of the early 70's have the dreaded sintered steel receiver. I've never heard of any rifles of that era that had blue-able steel but hoping special issues and commemoratives might be exceptions. I would like to end my days with a 30-30 lever rifle in my safe. I also have a whacky idea of turning it into a tack driver.

Don't worry folks Marlin's are on the table too.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Retired! Next rifle!!!!

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I would try to find an octagon barrel 30wcf made in the year you were born. Thot few guys on here said the commerative 30/30's were really accurate. Hope yer retirement goes well from here on out. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

ALL 1964-82 top-ejection Models 94's except the BigBore 94's have receivers made of sintered steel, that received any one of several different finishes - a colorant that looks like bluing, black chrome plating, brass plating gold plating, silver plating, pewter, and a faux color case-hardening.

The post 1971 guns had upgraded internal parts from the earlier post-64's (like a solid lifter & pins), and a much sturdier bluing colorant.

AFAIK, the commemoratives were all plated - most with black chrome, and some with one of the other colors.

Once upon a time, I had a .32 Special Canadian Pacific Railroad Centennial that had a pewter-finished receiver that was like a fancy/engtaved Winchester Model 64 with a straight grip & very nice wood.

I bought & hunted it because it was like having a Winchester Custom Shop gennie @ less than half the cost of the original.

The only caveat, with the plated receivers, is that care MUST be taken when working on the receiver (like mounting a peepsight) with sharp-edged tools like screwdrivers - lest the tool catch the platind @ the edge of a hole & flake the plating off.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu May 25, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

One does not "retire" with "C".

One either "LIVES", without bond slavery, and enjoys the good days of life, or,

One focuses on a "Dx" and frets until the grave.

Funny how #1 lives longer than #2.

But then, #1 is more fluid and active...

:twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have oneof the ruger no 3 s in 44 mag if you can find one of those I suggest you grab it quick as they are an ideal deer hunting gun,compact and they handle like dream and nice potent little caliber as well
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The big C, named Baxter by one of the guys who graduated a couple of years ahead of me in high school. Rocky fought Baxter off twice and lived life to the fullest. Baxter came back a third time and won...sort of. Baxter died when Rocky did, but Rocky's soul lived on and his spirit still lives in his kids.

What I am getting at is this: Don't ever give up or give in to Cancer. It might eventually kill your body, or you might beat it, but you are in charge of your attitude and how you choose to deal with it. Cancer can't win because of it kills your body, it dies too. It can only lose or fight to a loss for both of you. You do have the potential to win.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Think about the ultimate Modern Levergun - a Big Horn Armory 1889 in 500 S&W or 460 S&W or 454 Casull......

Lots of finishes (stainless, color case-hardened, nitride 'blued') and an amazing array of stocks. My lowest-grade Walnut one is probably the most beautiful gunstock I own.

Just one example:

Browse their website:
http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/1/ ... -products/

Jeff Quinn Gunboats reviews:

https://youtu.be/Vmjb-52L2bY
https://youtu.be/FMM2_p6xuJQ
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

That's what I did. Treated myself to a rifle that was special to me and more expensive than I would normally have spent. Been retired about 10 year and am still tickled about the fact that I showed my self a little love at the end of the working period of my life. :mrgreen: Instead of being frugal , which is my normal mode of operation !

Get something you have thought of or dreamed of. If you can swing it, get it and enjoy :wink:

Best of luck to you
John
Last edited by Bronco on Fri May 26, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks guys, the battle with cancer is on track and we are winning nicely. I need to be a little patient as it will take a couple months to wind down some important business. Then a decision will be made. One good thing it puts import from the south on the table. It is pricey for us Canadians. You Yanks are spoiled with choices we only drool over.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I hope all goes well with your treatments ! Now it seems to me you once told me you had a slight issue with recoil and if that's still the case my suggestion would be a Ruger #1B in 243 WIN or 25-06 . Neither has much of any recoil and both are rather versatile 😉👍🏻
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Canuck Bob wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 3:04 pm...One option is a bit of a surprise. Post-64 Winchesters. Do the 1967 made Canadian Centennial and the 64A of the early 70's have the dreaded sintered steel receiver. I've never heard of any rifles of that era that had blue-able steel but hoping special issues and commemoratives might be exceptions. I would like to end my days with a 30-30 lever rifle in my safe. I also have a whacky idea of turning it into a tack driver.
As Pete said, none of the standard receivers from '64 to '82 had "blu-able" steel. However, the sinctered steel receivers are plenty sound. The post '75 guns with their coil mainspring are my personal favorite of all era Winchester mdl 94s. I consider my 1979 custom rifle, with it's Numrich barrel to be a "tack-driver". It'll do far better than I can nowadays. When I first finished it, I was in my early 40's, didn't need glasses... and my best groups were ¾" @ 100 yards, with 1"-1-¼" groups at 200 being routine. I can still come close to those, but... alas, I just can't see the iron sights as well.

My '79 is steel clad, and wears a bone & charcoal CCH finish well.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

6pt ... you have a good memory. My 444 Marlin was gifted to a friend. Still my vote for the best hunting rifle. I don't hunt anymore and cancer related bone problems make me less interested in recoil. My camp rifle is now a 32 Special. All my plans are reduced loads and mid range lead.

I've decided to find a Browning BPS 20 gauge Upland Special shotgun, always wanted one. I need a shotgun and maybe my girls will take to it. I might even take up some skeet or trap even though I have no experience with either.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hope ya find the gun you want and prayers up for you.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Have you considered the Ruger No. 1 in .303? (Yep--.303 British!) I picked one up about five years ago, just to have something made brand-new in the 21st Century that was chambered for a round born in 1888. I hit a softball over 70 yards away, from a standing position using the factory iron sights (it won't ever have a scope on it). It's a fun gun and might be a worthwhile addition to your armory, especially given the long-time prevalence of the .303 in your neck of the woods . . . .
1894c

Post by 1894c »

prayers sent and enjoy the journey... for me it was owning a levergun in .357mag., I'm not retired but planning ahead. Been down-sizing my firearms and keeping what I really like. I just picked up a Beretta 21A (.22cal) because I had one and I really wanted one more. GET THAT WINCHESTER 94 in .30WCF, life is good... :)
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Well life altered my plan. I saw a newer Handi 30-30 on a classified forum listing. Pick the rifle up tomorrow. It comes as issued with a mount base and box of ammo. It is wood/blue/sights and the pictures are excellent. This will go with my Handi Hornet.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Those are really accurate and addictive. I think one in 357 or 45colt could possibly be the only ones more useful than the 30/30. Todd3/leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My R uger #1 is in .308 Win. And is a blast. Being a southpaw it fits right in. Since I already have that my next choice would be the Bighorn Armory.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.