Omg!!!!! What a levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Omg!!!!! What a levergun

Post by wvfarrier »

A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Omg!!!!! What a levergun

Post by claybob86 »

$1,300 seems pretty reasonable for such a beauty!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think you need to supply the donor gun, the work they do is $1300...very pretty rifle for sure!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

All they are doing is taking a NIB 22" barreled 1895, case coloring and refinishing the wood........and charging $1300.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

If pretty is the objective, then it is a success.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm afraid to use my pretty ones... :lol: :lol: The older 80% truck guns are no problem.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jdad wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:08 pm All they are doing is taking a NIB 22" barreled 1895, case coloring and refinishing the wood........and charging $1300.
I was about to point that out !

Even if they supply the gun , a new Remlin dealer cost is about $475ish . They replace nothing all they do is take it apart about 30 minutes work . Polish the blue off the three pieces and then case color . We have a guy in Ohio we send colr case work to and he charges us about $200 for action and accompanying pieces . The refinishing of the stock is maybe a $200 job retail as they don't really do anything special IMO . So even if they supply the gun their total cost is about $900-950 WITH labor included .

But I've never been an advocate of Turnbull so maybe I'm overly picky about their pricing etc .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pretty, but...

And check out all the other rifles for sale on that site.

One 1873 has a "New Lower Price" -- of only $9,500!!! :shock:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Hey why not. Why build and sell three $400 rifles when you can build and sell one $1200 rifle?
Slow is just slow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the Big Horn Armory 89's too... (also very pricey, but they supply the gun, and it is not just an ordinary Marlin or Winchester)

http://www.bighornarmory.com/photos/3/c ... ened-guns/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

That Marlin looks tacky to me. But $1300 isn't too bad for a new rifle refinished by the top name in CCH work, if you like it.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

44shooter wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:53 am That Marlin looks tacky to me. But $1300 isn't too bad for a new rifle refinished by the top name in CCH work, if you like it.
I do not agree with Trumbull being the top in color case hardening .
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I don't know if he is the best, but Turnbull is the most famous in the gun press. Maybe he is good at marketing or has enough production for his name to be widespread. I'd say his colors look great. I just don't like them on some of the guns he does.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

44shooter wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 5:40 pm I don't know if he is the best, but Turnbull is the most famous in the gun press. Maybe he is good at marketing or has enough production for his name to be widespread. I'd say his colors look great. I just don't like them on some of the guns he does.
I think he does okay work I just don't hold him in as high regard as some and the media would like you to think . I also think he has the gift of gab !
Montana Outfitters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Montana Outfitters »

Why not color to original rather then going off in a case hardening never done on original stuff.......I have run tables at
the Tulsa Shows for several years and between Tulsa and the Buffalo Bill museum one can see what's real and red flag fake!!!!
You can pick out his work about 100 percent of the time as it's just gaudy beyond high grade factory by a mile.....The RESTORATIONS follow the same pattern and take good historic weapons and turn them into jokes pandering to folks who don't know high grade original and just cut a check for what they are told is good only to later figure out they got a non accurate
weapon everyone can see is doctored up.............
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:13 pm
44shooter wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 5:40 pm I don't know if he is the best, but Turnbull is the most famous in the gun press. Maybe he is good at marketing or has enough production for his name to be widespread. I'd say his colors look great. I just don't like them on some of the guns he does.
I think he does okay work I just don't hold him in as high regard as some and the media would like you to think . I also think he has the gift of gab !
I have heard that he doesn't bring the temperature up high enough. Making his process more coloring and less hardening.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle