Step One Complete For Truck Camper Plan

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Step One Complete For Truck Camper Plan

Post by Blaine »

I really, really liked my EcoDiesel Ram 1500. But, it's not going to take a decent slide in camper. I can only go about 1250lbs with the 1500. So, today I picked up an F-250 with the gas 6.2....I took a hit on MPGs but I got an average of about 16.5 mixed city/hwy over the 70 mile trip home with it. Actually a hair better than I expected. It's a good truck. I'm looking forward to having a camper in it next year. I'm thinking Alaskan Camper, 10' non-cabover....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Step One Complete For Truck Camper Plan

Post by piller »

There are kits to modify most 250 or 2500 sized vehicles with the diesel engines for increased fuel mileage or performance. If fuel economy is a concern, check out a Banks performance kit. The diesel engine in most trucks of the F250 or Chevy or Dodge 2500 size will do way more than the average city dweller will ever need.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 am There are kits to modify most 250 or 2500 sized vehicles with the diesel engines for increased fuel mileage or performance. If fuel economy is a concern, check out a Banks performance kit. The diesel engine in most trucks of the F250 or Chevy or Dodge 2500 size will do way more than the average city dweller will ever need.
This is the gasoline version.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Did you happen to look for spring kits for your Dodge? Probably could have added some springs for a heck of a lot less than a truck!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:26 am Did you happen to look for spring kits for your Dodge? Probably could have added some springs for a heck of a lot less than a truck!
I was not interested in beefing up the 1500 Ram. I would have needed double the capacity for the camper I'm looking at. BTW, this basic F250 has a thousand lbs more load ability than a Ram 2500 with the Hemi. The F-250 will do 10,000 gross vehicle weight. About 3300 ish lbs....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good plan, but with a slide-in like that, I'd want a larger radiator & and an oil cooler (plus a transmission oil cooler if has a slush pump) added to the F250.

roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

I have a similar setup. Only thing I did from stock to the truck (3/4T chev) was add air bags. It seems to ride and drive nicer when it is level.
Roughcreek
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

You did right by going 3/4 ton. A lot of folks beef up the half ton with springs or air bags but it does nothing for the brakes. Plus you have floating rear axle now, a real help. I've had half tons tear up axle seals and leak from overloading.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

m.wun wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:58 pm You did right by going 3/4 ton. A lot of folks beef up the half ton with springs or air bags but it does nothing for the brakes. Plus you have floating rear axle now, a real help. I've had half tons tear up axle seals and leak from overloading.
Also, if the LEOs are in a bad mood, they will ticket you for being overweight no matter how much you have beefed your 1/2 ton up...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV