44 mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

44 mag

Post by Bronco »

Hello All,

Not wanting to hijack from the 45-70 thread !

In reading that thread I am becoming more comfortable that the 44 mag in a rifle is quite adequate . Not saying that the 44 mag is any slouch. I am getting a 300 gr lfn lbt hard cast bullet around 1750 fps; was supposed to be a 280 gr. but with lube and a gc, it comes in right at 300 gr. when ready to reload. Coming out of my Marlin 94 with a 24" tube. I learned about Marlin barrels after the purchase and was not happy with the twist rate and the .4323 bore of the stock barrel. I save all parts so as to be able to return to original condition; if the need every arises. Had Regan Nonneman, cannot say enough about his awesome work, rebarrel it with a .429 bore Douglas premium barrel with a 1 in 16 twist. I had the barrel contoured so that the muzzle is same size as the chamber side. Regan stated that he had never had an order like that but was really pleased with how it balanced and looked when finished. Said he might have to do that more again. Same size bullet now works very well in both the Marlin and my Red Hawk. The twist rate stabilizes the bullet even at loads around 800 fps. It was interesting that the light load has the same velocity out of the 7.5" Red Hawk as it does out of the Marlin. The hot load with a bunch of 2400 powder runs about 1350 out of the Ruger and picks up some steam in the rifle :mrgreen: I get about 3" groups a 100 yds with a receiver sight same with a scope. But I like the look without the scope.

http://prntscr.com/fag3bw

Anyone here have experience with hunting with hard cast bullets from a 44 mag rifle? Would like to hear them :)

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: 44 mag

Post by Lefty Dude »

Nice looking piece.
I have a 44 mag Handi-Rifle with the bull barrel, I bought several Years ago at a LGS. The piece now has a straight stock I replaced with an early H&R. I installed an 1873 Springfield rear sight on the piece. The front sight is a Williams 20 ga. slug gun sight.
This piece likes heavy bullets, and is very accurate out to 300 yards. Never hunted with the piece, but would be an excellent Wild Pig gun.
The Rifle now has that early style single-shot Frontier look.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I had until yesterday a 1894 in 44mag and although it was not supposed to be able to shoot the lee 310 grainer, it shot them very well. I only shot 1 deer with it and several smaller critters it hit hard!. Deer went less than 10 yards. Groundhogs just popped.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Oh by the way...don't feel bad for me as I sold that 1894, because I had gotten a 1894P.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 3:29 pm Oh by the way...don't feel bad for me as I sold that 1894, because I had gotten a 1894P.
I had an 1894P for awhile as well as an 1894CB 24" and a pair of circa 1967 336T's in 44 Mag . Used the 1884P to plunk a whitetail at about 130-135 yards a few years back . Was using the Nosler 250 PT Gold in a Handload . And I later shot cast in all four rifles . The second 336T I had in 44 Mag I pelosi a bunch of different weight cast bullets . Gun did great at 100 yards with everything up to 300 grains even though it has the slow 1:38 twist . I tried a mold of my own semi design a MM/RD 432-325GC and while it shot very well at 100 yards you were starting to see evidence of the bullet starting to yaw when entering the paper target board . I still wouldn't hesitate to use that 325 grainier in that particular gun out to 100 yards .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Try stoking your .44s with H-110 or W-296 (same powder/different label)..

You should get more-consistent velocities and pressures than with 2400..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

This older Ruger carbine has a 1:20 twist and will stabilize the "heavies" too. But it went out of production yet still gets the job done!

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

t.r. wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 5:05 am This older Ruger carbine has a 1:20 twist and will stabilize the "heavies" too. But it went out of production yet still gets the job done!

TR

I got a Ruger 44R New when I was about 14 . Killed my first buck with it . Later I sold it to a friend that still owns it . When I was in my mid 30's I bought another one that was used and had some issues with it and finally traded it off . Now I have one that was given to my maternal grandfather for Xmas one year . He got it a year or two after I got my first . Anyway it's in my possession now , I've killed four or five deer with it over the years . Although generally in that one I shoot just factory 240 grain stuff and it gets the job done .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Buck Elliott » Mon May 22, 2017 12:37 am
Try stoking your .44s with H-110 or W-296 (same powder/different label)..
You should get more-consistent velocities and pressures than with 2400..

Well I tell ya Buck, I ran these through the crony and they were real consistent. Also I might a well just use what I have LOTS of :D I never felt the powder, prime crunch :mrgreen: And most likely never will if you know what I mean. I guess in that matter I have been a prepper for about 50 years !

John
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of those Ruger carbines. I bought it from CRS a few years ago. Running a 240 grain jhp over a load of WW296/H110 at 23.7 grains ( I know that .2 grains is almost impossible to see any difference in) gets really good accuracy and drops most meat eating sized hogs on the spot. I go slightly below maximum for my own personal use. It is just in case I make a minor error in reading the balance. My experience with WW296/H110 in .44 Mag is good. I have the Ruger carbine and a Ruger Super Blackhawk.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My 44 Mag load also. 240 gr. Nosler RNJSP over 23.5 gr. of H110/296. A very nice load, and gets the job done. I shoot this in my Rossi 44 Carbine. Also when I had a Ruger SBH,
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My Ruger carbine is a '68/69, I went and picked up a Redfield ( just after Leupold took over).
I put the scope in rings, set eye relief and tightened it down. Off to the farm to sight it in. First shot at 50 was exactly dead nuts center! Shots 2&3 just opened the hole up about a caliber! I have never had that happen before or since!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

I learned about Marlin barrels after the purchase and was not happy with the twist rate and the .4323 bore of the stock barrel.
Is it a microgroove barrel?
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

No it had a JM barrel.
In order to get the right size bullet fit, they were too big to work on the revolver ( I did not want to open up the front of the cylinder that much or force size them there that much either. .433 would not lead the barrel, much, in the rifle. Now shooting a .431 bullet , no lead! Front of the revolver has .4315 diameter holes.
I have read by Veral Smith , that a proper sized bullet of correct hardness, will shoot just fine in a micro grooved barrel ! Don't know I never had one !