Marlin Guide Gun bullet preference

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin Guide Gun bullet preference

Post by walks with gun »

Dad called wanted to show me his new find, A in the box ( supposedly fired) pre Remington Guide gun in 45-70. Anyway, It's going to be his new whitetail rifle so I'm going to try to find a accurate load for it and maybe moms old 70's vintage marlin 45-70. Is there a certain bullet weight-type that would make a accurate Mn. deer load. I've tried the 300gr. bullets in moms old rifle and have never thought they showed all that in the accuracy dept. so I'm thinking something with the 405's just a little warmer than Rem. factory loads. What's your gents favorite guide gun bullet. Dad's older than Moses and mom's pretty small so I'm not looking for 700 grain bullets at 4,000fps. Just a Accurate 150yd. deer load.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin Guide Gun bullet preference

Post by Blaine »

I always hunted with the Factory 300 from Federal. I thought they were very accurate and shot flatter than 405s at any FPS that I wanted to shoot.
I would also load up some Remington 405s to about 1700 and they were also very accurate.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My guide gun does not like lead bullets. I get good accuracy with any jacketed bullet I use. Best accuracy has been with a Remington 405 grain jsp around 1500 fps at the muzzle using IMR 30-31. It is a soft bullet, but it seems to do just fine on medium sized hogs.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Not a guide gun but my 1972 1895 in 45/70 will do one hole at 75yards with a 300 grain hornady. Taken a couple bear, several hogs, and a couple deer, with no.complaints. just sayin.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Guide Gun is pretty lightweight, and shooting boolits heavier than 350gr are going to knock your Dad out from underneath his hat, unless they're very light loads.

Please don't ask me how I know (I've never been particularly recoil-sensitive).

My early/ported GG liked just about any 300gr JSP - I used Winchester 300gr & Nosler 300gr, but never bothered to try Hornady's, etc. (sorry)

guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

My Guide Gun likes the 300-350 bullets. I worked up some good loads with IMR 4895 in the 50-55 gn range. These are running 1750-1800 fps and have proven to be plenty good enough for Whitetail and hogs out to 100 yds. I mounted a "Scout Scope" out front on mine, and LOVE IT.
Unlike some folks, I've also had good success with the Lee #90374 bullet over 45 gns IMR 3031. These are running 1500 fps or so and also work great on Deer and Hogs in the "thick stuff" where I hunt.
Comerade
Levergunner

Post by Comerade »

I have a Marlin GBL and really like it too. I bought it to replace a model 94 ae . 356 win that was tough to find components for. I use all my rifles as saddle guns and the GBL suits me because it is short,light and works well with a detachable scout scope and an xs rail with receiver sight. The Hornady 325 gr ftx bullet shoots really well at 100 yards and over and feeds well. The little rifle recoils and I suggest a good after market recoil pad.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

My likes, (me too) Laser Cast bullets, 305's at 1650fps, 350's at 1550fps and 405's at 1450fps. They all shot right 1.5" at hundred yards with peep sight and orange front firesight. Tood3/leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Most accurate load in my guide gun is a Hornady leverevolution. Killed Buffalo, and moose with it worked fine.
It is not the critic who counts