Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper: want a 22 Mag cylinder...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper: want a 22 Mag cylinder...

Post by kaschi »

…so how does a guy go about getting one made? Supposedly Ruger will not sell a cylinder to the public, so the solution may be to inform them that the cylinder was "lost", have them (Ruger) install a new one and then have the one in hand sent to someone who can work it to accept 22 Mag ammo. If this whole idea is totally feasable, who does this kind of alteration?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper: want a 22 Mag cylinder...

Post by Pete44ru »

kaschi wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:59 pm …so how does a guy go about getting one made? S

upposedly Ruger will not sell a cylinder to the public, so the solution may be to inform them that the cylinder was "lost", have them (Ruger) install a new one and then have the one in hand sent to someone who can work it to accept 22 Mag ammo.

If this whole idea is totally feasable, who does this kind of alteration?

AFAIK, that's the only way to get a magnum-chambered Bearcat cylinder, as Ruger recalled the Bearcat LR/WMR convertibles not very long after they were introduced..

If you're handy, you can obtain a .22WMR chambering reamer & do it yourself with a tap wrench type tool handle & cutting oil.

If not, just about any decent gunsmith (not some parts-changer) should be able to convert the LR chambers to WMR chambers.(IF the 'smith has the chambering reamer)

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

WMR cylinder should have larger (.224" nominal) throat diameter as well..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Thank you for the info gents! I don't have the required tools nor am I savvy enough to do this so it will have to be a real gunsmith. Any leads there? The only name I've run across is Alan Hartan regarding revolver smithing but do not have his contact info.
Pete: you mentioned that Ruger recalled the Bearcat Convertibles not long after they were introduced. What was the reason?
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Somewhere I read of one BC cylinder being re- chambered for only one chamber in mag. the other five left in 22LR IIRC; it was Shooting Times, many years ago.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Paco did the conversion. He liked it. YMMV
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

kaschi wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 12:18 pm
Pete: you mentioned that Ruger recalled the Bearcat Convertibles not long after they were introduced.

What was the reason ?

I misspoke - Ruger recalled the .22WMR cylinders only.

The pretext was that the .22WMR cylinders were improperly timed.

IMO, Ruger's lawyers scared them into the recall, since they never replaced any of the .22WMR Bearcat cylinders received under the recall, instead of timing the recalled cylinders or replacing them.

There are many convertibles still out there that their owners refused to send back, and they're now selling for $1K (+/-).

This was the recall statement:

Sturm, Ruger & Co.: recall of .22 Magnum Cylinders for New Ruger Convertible Bearcat Revolvers with Serial Numbers from 93-00500 to 93-01944.

It has come to our attention that the .22 Magnum cylinders for approximately the first 1000 New Ruger Bearcat Convertible revolvers may be improperly timed.
Firing a .22 Magnum cartridge in a cylinder not correctly timed with the barrel may result in excessively high pressures,causing the cartridge case head to fail.
This can result in personal injury to the shooter or bystanders from pieces of cartridge case brass.

We are requesting that if you own a New Ruger Convertible Bearcat Revolver with both a .22 Long Rifle and a .22 Magnum cylinder that you contact the Newport,NH, Product Service Department, 411 Sunapee Street, Newport, NH 03773. Tel:(603)865-2442 or Fax:(603)863-6165) for further advice.

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

That's interesting. That indicates (to me at least) there were no problems after the initial 1000 or so. Wonder why they did not continue offering the BC with both cylinders then?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My local gunsmith has done a couple of .22LR chamber for me and my son, they shoot just fine. My son bought and old Arminus .22LR revolver and had one chamber reamed for .22mag, it has worked just fine. The one he did for me was an old German .22LR single action with a massive cylinder in it, He reamed one chamber and marked it for .22mag, never any problem with either gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Interesting idea to just ream one chamber....

...or maybe three - alternating with 22 LR.....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "