Out with a fire lock.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6726
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Out with a fire lock.

#1 Post by Nath » Sun May 14, 2017 2:27 am

Me and Jess smashed some flint yesterday morning.

Image


I pulled a shot on a squirrel. I hastily tipped a little powder and shot down and got the wounded squirrel down.
Jess did the rest!

https://youtu.be/e4IEXzrGSBU

Spent some time with family and then got a call about a lamb killer!
Had some fortune and made a 74 pace shot after a stalk to halve the distance.
Image

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

User avatar
GunnyMack
Senior Levergunner
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:57 am

Re: Out with a fire lock.

#2 Post by GunnyMack » Sun May 14, 2017 4:28 am

Good girl Jess! Looks like you had some fun Nath!
Don't your foxes know they belong in the hen house and they aren't supposed to eat lamb!?
What rifle do you use for fox?

User avatar
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper
Posts: 10083
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:32 pm
Location: The wrong side of the pond.

Re: Out with a fire lock.

#3 Post by gamekeeper » Sun May 14, 2017 4:29 am

Well done on Charlie..... :D
Glad to see Jess gets in on the action too, I love good squirrel dogs.... 8)
If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.
Fred Bear.

User avatar
Ray
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:45 am

Re: Out with a fire lock.

#4 Post by Ray » Sun May 14, 2017 6:44 am

Ironic you mention smashing flints.....that is exactly my problem......i am working with an incorrigible T/C Hawken .45 that absolutely eats flints......the fit and geometry of the relation between the frizzen and hammer seem o.k. and the frizzen moves readily but the hammer must be hitting too hard.....have read almost every reference and watched dozens of videos on the subject of flint selection and adjustment.....a 1" x 1/4 " ferrocerium fire starting rod in place of the rock sparks well and seems to last longer than any of the different flints i've tried.....even a toy paper cap glued with spirit gum to the front of piece of clothes pin used as a proving dummy sets off a pan of priming.....i got that idea from reading an account of u.s. army trials in the firelock to percussion transitionary era referencing "fulminate pills" as pan priming several years before the maynard tape.......

Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6726
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: Out with a fire lock.

#5 Post by Nath » Sun May 14, 2017 7:41 am

GunnyMack wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 4:28 am
Good girl Jess! Looks like you had some fun Nath!
Don't your foxes know they belong in the hen house and they aren't supposed to eat lamb!?
What rifle do you use for fox?
WMR.
I only have two rimfires now, rifle wise.
Ray wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 6:44 am
Ironic you mention smashing flints.....that is exactly my problem......i am working with an incorrigible T/C Hawken .45 that absolutely eats flints......the fit and geometry of the relation between the frizzen and hammer seem o.k. and the frizzen moves readily but the hammer must be hitting too hard.....have read almost every reference and watched dozens of videos on the subject of flint selection and adjustment.....a 1" x 1/4 " ferrocerium fire starting rod in place of the rock sparks well and seems to last longer than any of the different flints i've tried.....even a toy paper cap glued with spirit gum to the front of piece of clothes pin used as a proving dummy sets off a pan of priming.....i got that idea from reading an account of u.s. army trials in the firelock to percussion transitionary era referencing "fulminate pills" as pan priming several years before the maynard tape.......
Interesting.
I usually experiment with frizzen spring weight and or the shape of the heel.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

User avatar
GunnyMack
Senior Levergunner
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:57 am

Re: Out with a fire lock.

#6 Post by GunnyMack » Sun May 14, 2017 8:36 am

Gotcha, rimfire. Can't beat them, they are more capable than most think. in the right spot a 22 will kill well beyond its means!

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2733
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Vinita, I.T.

Re: Out with a fire lock.

#7 Post by M. M. Wright » Sun May 14, 2017 9:29 am

Lookin' good Nath. Warmed my heart to see a man and his dog in action.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS

User avatar
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 9568
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:26 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Out with a fire lock.

#8 Post by Pete44ru » Sun May 14, 2017 9:50 am

.

Outstanding, Nath !

I'm glad to see that Jess has worked out. :)

.
IF IN THESE TYMES OF JEOPARDY,
MORTAL PERIL INVADES THY THOUGHT,
TAKE UP THIS TRVSTY PIECE,
TRVST IN THY GOD, AND FEAR THEE NAUGHT.

(The avatar is me, in 1948 ! )

.

User avatar
Ray
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:45 am

Re: Out with a fire lock.

#9 Post by Ray » Sun May 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Math:
I wish I could send you this hawken for you to shoot foxes and the jukar blunderbuss but uncle Sam and johnny bull won't allow it....

Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6726
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: Out with a fire lock.

#10 Post by Nath » Sun May 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Ray wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 6:28 pm
Math:
I wish I could send you this hawken for you to shoot foxes and the jukar blunderbuss but uncle Sam and johnny bull won't allow it....
:D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

octagon
Senior Levergunner
Posts: 1133
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:56 pm
Location: TEXAS

Re: Out with a fire lock.

#11 Post by octagon » Mon May 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Good show Nath! I'd like to see you shooting some Texas coyotes :P

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 32-20, ChuteTheMall, Google [Bot] and 6 guests