For You Gentlemen Running QuickLOAD .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

For You Gentlemen Running QuickLOAD .

Post by milton »

I love taking reloading data from publications and working them up on QuickLOAD to see how they compare.Recently I saw an old Elmer Keith load posted for hot .38 special.The load consisted of a Lyman 358429 (173 gr.) with 13.5 grains of 2400 for 1,409 FPS from a 6.5 inch Smith pre model 23.When I load that data on QuickLOAD I get some pressure numbers that are amazing.Has anyone actually shot this load and have true results? Does QuickLOAD have a problem with loads like this?
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: For You Gentlemen Running QuickLOAD .

Post by 765x53 »

No doubt, that was intended only for the S&W "38-44 Sportsman".
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

When i think running quick load, I think of loading a flintlock while running, although the best i can do is a fairly fast shuffle, or stumble.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yes, I have used Elmer's 13.5grs 2400 / 358429 load. It's a 357 mag load designed for the heavy 38-44 revolvers as 765x53 said. Only it was intended to be loaded in the 38 special case, that is why the bullet seats as far out as it does.
When loaded in .357 cases the OAL is too long for the cylinders on a lot of .357 mag guns.

Another version of that load was the same powder charge under the Lyman -Thompson 358156 bullet. That one has two crimp groves, one for the 38 case, and the other for the 357 Mag case. Both crimp groves produce the same OAL so the powder space is the same, or close to it, and the pressure is down a bit.
That load was Skeeter Skeltons favorite .357 load and is mine too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Joe,thank you for your noted experience! I did state in the original post that the load was shot from a pre 23 which is the 38/44 Smith.I guess I used the wrong seating depth(o.a.l) in QuickLOAD and will look at it again.
What did you shoot these loads from and what sort of brass life did you get?
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

milton wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 3:54 am Joe,thank you for your noted experience! I did state in the original post that the load was shot from a pre 23 which is the 38/44 Smith.I guess I used the wrong seating depth(o.a.l) in QuickLOAD and will look at it again.
What did you shoot these loads from and what sort of brass life did you get?
It's been so long since I talked S&W that I forgot what model number went with which name. Oops.

When I used the Keith bullet load I shot them from a S&W Mdl 28 and an old Model Ruger BH. I haven't noticed any problems out of the norm with case life.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I did not think about changing the O.A.L. but when I did and recalculated the pressures noted were more in line with .357 pressures which is OK.
Thank you for your information! hey,you don't still have that old S&W do you?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

milton wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 12:35 pm I did not think about changing the O.A.L. but when I did and recalculated the pressures noted were more in line with .357 pressures which is OK.
Thank you for your information! hey,you don't still have that old S&W do you?
OH yeah, I still got her. Still got the OM Black Hawk too. Someday I gotta get to a range and shoot 'em some.

Joe
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Ya know if you can't find time to test that old revolver you could probably send it down here and I would gladly run your test shooting ,say for the next 10 or 15 years!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

:o :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've had that old Mdl 28- nuthin since the late 70s. I kinda think I'll hang on to it. :)
milton wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 9:48 am Ya know if you can't find time to test that old revolver you could probably send it down here and I would gladly run your test shooting ,say for the next 10 or 15 years!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: