Model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Keechi Kid
Levergunner

Model 71

Post by Keechi Kid »

I have a few lever guns, but thoughts of a Model 71 led me here to register and ask this question. I'm from East Texas and spend a lot of time out on the family ranch hunting pigs. The ranch has a lot of creek bottom and therefore lots of hogs.

I never hunt hogs from a stand or over bait. I walk and stalk them up either along the edges of fields when they are feeding or by jumping them up in their travel corridors along the creeks.

I have gotten the idea in my head that a Model 71 might be the perfect rifle and cartridge combo for this type of hunting. Figured I would float the idea by the experts here. Was also curious which version of the 71 would be the right one to look for. Thanks for the help.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Model 71

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire.... :D
Hog hunters will be along shortly.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Hello and Welcome!

The 71 is a wonderful gun. I prefer the carbine version myself but of the originals they are of course the most costly. The Browning repos are also very well made though they are also beginning to climb in price. If you can find a decent shooter grade with the bolt mounted peep you'll be in business. Or you can get a reproduction 98A sight put on a Browning (I wouldnt do it to a Winchester unless the bolt was already cut for it).
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Although I don't have a Model 71, I can't think of much it wouldn't be excellent for.

I have a Big Horn Armory 89 that will probably be my 'hog gun' if I ever get a chance to hunt them; loaded down a bit they penetrate well, and don't "rainbow" unless you want to shoot past 100 yards, which I doubt I'd ever do for hog hunting.

Anyway, whatever excuse you have for buying a 71, I agree with it....! :lol: [/enabling mode off] :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Any light and fast handling rifle of at least 30 caliber should do. I have killed hogs with lever action rifles from .357 to 45-90 and they all went down.
My last hog was estimated at 600 pounds and fell to one shot from my M70 .308; so go figure.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Keechi Kid
Levergunner

Post by Keechi Kid »

I appreciate the responses so far. I know about killing pigs. I shot a nice boar this morning with a '41 built Winchester 94 30-30 in the hay field before I started cutting hay.

I'm more curious about how the 71 handles up close and how well the 348 works from touching distance to about 200. We have enough hogs that it is a bit of a game for me. I am always looking for the project or rifle that is perfect for a certain hunting scenario.

A Big Horn would be a fun one too. I will probably end up with one in either 500 or 475 linebaugh when they get those going to go with one of my custom revolvers in those calibers.

What is a good price for a Browning these days?
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

While living in west Texas (Abilene), I had the opportunity to hunt feral hogs on a small ranch we owned. It will definitely do the job out to 200 yards if you can shoot iron or aperture sights well enough to hit them that far away. Personally, my window for iron or aperture sights closes at about 125 yards, so I have never killed a hog that far out. Other than the rifle being heavier than a lot of lever guns, I can't think of any down side for the application you are considering. In my opinion, the M71 is the ultimate lever action rifle.
I can't advise you about costs, but I can say that all of the Winchesters or Brownings I have shot have been excellent and handled very well. I never found the longer barrel (24") of the rifle version to be any handicap, and for me, balanced better while giving the benefit of a longer sight radius resulting in enhanced fiel accuracy.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

While living in west Texas (Abilene), I had the opportunity to hunt feral hogs on a small ranch we owned. It will definitely do the job out to 200 yards if you can shoot iron or aperture sights well enough to hit them that far away. Personally, my window for iron or aperture sights closes at about 125 yards, so I have never killed a hog with a M71 that far out. Other than the rifle being heavier than a lot of lever guns, I can't think of any down side for the application you are considering. In my opinion, the M71 is the ultimate lever action rifle.
I can't advise you about costs, but I can say that all of the Winchesters or Brownings I have shot have been excellent and handled very well. I never found the longer barrel (24") of the rifle version to be any handicap, and for me, balanced better while giving the benefit of a longer sight radius resulting in enhanced field accuracy.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Keechi Kid wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 9:03 pm I appreciate the responses so far. I know about killing pigs. I shot a nice boar this morning with a '41 built Winchester 94 30-30 in the hay field before I started cutting hay.

I'm more curious about how the 71 handles up close and how well the 348 works from touching distance to about 200. We have enough hogs that it is a bit of a game for me. I am always looking for the project or rifle that is perfect for a certain hunting scenario.

A Big Horn would be a fun one too. I will probably end up with one in either 500 or 475 linebaugh when they get those going to go with one of my custom revolvers in those calibers.

What is a good price for a Browning these days?
I've killed plenty of mule deer at 80 to 250 yards with a Browning 71. Never killed a hog farther that 20 yards with a 348 but they are no tougher than a mule deer. I've killed hogs with just about every gun I have (more than one or two) and have gotten one-shot kills with a wide variety of cartridges, most with much less power than .348 Winchester.

How it handles is up to you: Your skill level, your lenght-of-pull, your familiarity with the rifle.
Price varies. 900 to 1800 for Browning depending on a low grade shooter or a high grade NIB. If you buy a shooter grade Winchester and it is missing the bolt peep...install a receiver or barrel-mount peep instead. An original 98a bolt peep is 600 dollars and a repro is $450. I wouldn't pay $600 for an original unless it was going on an original, collector grade rifle.

I'm in Lamar County. I have a Browning rifle, a Browning carbine, and a Winchester Deluxe rifle. PM me and you are welcome to see how they handle.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I have a nice Win. 71, made in the 50's. It looks nearly new, has a great peep sight and would kill
anything including Grizzlies with the right bullet. I will be hunting bear and moose with it this
fall in BC. It may be Winchester's best lever action ever.
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Quote: "I do want a lever action Winchester Model 71 in .348, but if my gun dealer located one, which he can't, I couldn't afford it. (When these same guns were available I didn't want one, but when they were dropped from production and became scarcer than a sack full of Hope diamonds, suddenly, I couldn't live without one.)" This sound like a familiar refrain today? Well, this quote is from an article in a 1974 GunSport magazine. You can't go wrong with a 71 if you can find one that hasn't been messed up by a former owner and is a 'reasonable' price. In 1974 a decent 71 would have been going for about $125. Same gun today will bring $1,500. plus. Would make a great 'hog' gun.
Keechi Kid
Levergunner

Post by Keechi Kid »

Thanks for all the great replies. Looks like I just need to find me a nice one. Nobody on here has a nice extra shooter by any chance? Or looking to try a pig hunt in east Texas and willing to let me check out a 71 lol
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Keechi Kid wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 pm Thanks for all the great replies. Looks like I just need to find me a nice one. Nobody on here has a nice extra shooter by any chance? Or looking to try a pig hunt in east Texas and willing to let me check out a 71 lol
Something tells me you didn't real all the post... :wink:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Keechi Kid
Levergunner

Post by Keechi Kid »

vancelw wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:48 pm
Keechi Kid wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 pm Thanks for all the great replies. Looks like I just need to find me a nice one. Nobody on here has a nice extra shooter by any chance? Or looking to try a pig hunt in east Texas and willing to let me check out a 71 lol
Something tells me you didn't real all the post... :wink:
I read it and tried to send you a pm. Did it go through?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

No it didn't for some reason . Try again or try sending an email via the link.
Keechi Kid
Levergunner

Post by Keechi Kid »

I tried sending you an email. Let me know if you don't get it
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I didn't get a PM or an email from you. I checked SPAM and not there either.
I sent you a PM.
Never had problems before. Not sure if there are still bugs in the new forum engine. If you don't get my PM we need to report it.
Only having 5 posts, there may be a filter to keep you from sending in case you are a spammer.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

71 is the king of levers. All true levergun owners should handle, shoot and possibly hunt with it. The model94 .356WCF will duplicate .348WCF. performance in a lighter, handier rifle, but, it's action will never be as SMOOTH!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I picked up a 1939 vintage 71 this week. In pretty good shape for being 78 years old. Standard grade rifle less than a grand.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Keechi Kid
Levergunner

Post by Keechi Kid »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 8:19 pm I picked up a 1939 vintage 71 this week. In pretty good shape for being 78 years old. Standard grade rifle less than a grand.
Wow congrats. If you want to make a few bucks in that I know a guy who is interested lol.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks for the offer...but after 40 years of wanting, I think I'll hold onto it more than FOUR DAYS.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Keechi Kid
Levergunner

Post by Keechi Kid »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 6:53 pm Thanks for the offer...but after 40 years of wanting, I think I'll hold onto it more than FOUR DAYS.
I guess that is a bit of an understandable choice.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

For a few years in the 1990's, I hunted with a Winchester big bore in 356 chambering. This cartridge is very close to 348 ballistics. Every animal I shot with this rifle went down fast. Middle bore rifles do not receive much press coverage but they're quite effective at typical forest and foothill distances.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I hunted black bear with my Winchester 356, since it is a angle eject I put a nice scope on it. Took a nice BC bear at 150 yards, one shot, dead.
Those 358 calibers are under rated as you suggest. My objective is to kill game with as many of my lever actions as possible. I'll never get to all
of them but love hunting with any lever action gun. Killing my BC moose last year with my Marlin 338 Express at 270 yards was a thrill. I load
all of my own ammo so I was confident of where the bullet was going. Went down and never got up. It was a very large BC bull, took home over
700 pounds of meat without any bones. Nice rack in my hallway. Excited about trying to take one this fall with my 71, as I stated earlier in this
post. Winchester 71's are just so classy, every lever gun guy should get to own one.