fish guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

fish guns

Post by walks with gun »

OK gents, it's that time of year again, anyone have a designated gun they like to carry while fishing. I picked up a stainless three inch Rossi 720 in .44 special last year that seems to need a role to fill, I figure fishing gun is it. Whats your favorite for fish finding missions.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: fish guns

Post by Rusty »

I just picked up a 3" SP101. I really like it a lot. In fact when I brought it home my wife even suggested I sell another gun and get her one as well. I really like the way it balances.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

walks with gun wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 10:24 pm OK gents, it's that time of year again, anyone have a designated gun they like to carry while fishing. I picked up a stainless three inch Rossi 720 in .44 special last year that seems to need a role to fill, I figure fishing gun is it. Whats your favorite for fish finding missions.
I carried one if those 720's for a few years. I should have kept it. There is still one at my dad's house.

I carry a bunch of stuff while fishing. Depends on my mood.
4" S&W 66
LW Commander
Glock 21
5.5" SAA .45
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I generally like a revolver while in the woods so I can carry snake shot in the first two cylinders.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

S&W Model 19; either 4 or 6 inch.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Model 19 four inch, or Hawes 357.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

In squirrel season it's the Ruger Single Six, plus that pistol has saved a big fish or two that got off the line after reaching shore. They don't flop back into the water after receiving a 40 gr dose of attitude adjustment to the head. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Borrow my bride's LCR in .22 Magnum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

AmBroCol, funny you should mention the single six. When my daughter was about 11, she caught a 18.5 inch largemouth fishing from a beaver dam way back in the woods. when she got it up to the dam the line broke. I set her up again and cast toward the bobber on the broken line, let them tangle together and brought the fish in again with the same results. After the third time I ask her if she really wanted this fish which was of coarse yes, so I told her to keep it still and try to hold the head up, I then placed a 90gr. cast 32 mag bullet through it's head with the trusty Single Six, then we were off to show grandpa her catch. My favorite fishing trip with my little girl.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

.22LR Beretta 21a

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Fishing vest gun was exactly what I had in mind when John Gallagher and I converted a 32 single six into a 44 special. 4 " bbl and is PERFECT ! Load a couple shot shells and then a few cast or jacketed and good to go.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Kel Tec .32. Don't even know it's in my pocket.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Depends where, but most often a .45 acp AMT Backup. A bit on the heavy side, but that helps with recoil. And the .45 acp, well what is there to say.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 1:31 pm Fishing vest gun was exactly what I had in mind when John Gallagher and I converted a 32 single six into a 44 special. 4 " bbl and is PERFECT ! Load a couple shot shells and then a few cast or jacketed and good to go.
Please elaborate on your conversion. Was this gun originally a 7 shot model? did you have to get a new cylinder and barrel? I just happened to notice a used 7 shot single six in .32 mag at the local gunshop, and I have been contemplating it's possibilities, as a gun for similar purposes, although I didn't consider a caliber change, but I did contemplate some shot loads and then some cast bullet loads in combination for farm chores, fixing fence, etc. And of course fishing.
NRA Life Member, Patron
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Taurus Tracker in 44 mag.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:25 am Image
Pretty discrete carrying case, too... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

NAA Mini with the .22 Mag cylinder in place.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Lastmohecken wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 7:22 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 1:31 pm Fishing vest gun was exactly what I had in mind when John Gallagher and I converted a 32 single six into a 44 special. 4 " bbl and is PERFECT ! Load a couple shot shells and then a few cast or jacketed and good to go.
Please elaborate on your conversion. Was this gun originally a 7 shot model? did you have to get a new cylinder and barrel? I just happened to notice a used 7 shot single six in .32 mag at the local gunshop, and I have been contemplating it's possibilities, as a gun for similar purposes, although I didn't consider a caliber change, but I did contemplate some shot loads and then some cast bullet loads in combination for farm chores, fixing fence, etc. And of course fishing.
This was an early( first production run in the early 90's) 6 shot 32 mag. The gun saw 1 box of 32 s&w longs before the barrel and cylinder were yanked off! We made a new cylinder( Actually 2 cylinders, first we got a little too thin in the wall thickness), new barrel and turned it into a 5 shot. Had to open the frame slightly. John Gallagher is the man to contact if you want to change it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 5:18 am
Lastmohecken wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 7:22 pm
This was an early( first production run in the early 90's) 6 shot 32 mag. The gun saw 1 box of 32 s&w longs before the barrel and cylinder were yanked off! We made a new cylinder( Actually 2 cylinders, first we got a little too thin in the wall thickness), new barrel and turned it into a 5 shot. Had to open the frame slightly. John Gallagher is the man to contact if you want to change it.
Thanks for the info. I figured you would have had to do something along those lines.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If in a boat, perhaps the G30S....Otherwise, my LCP is my favorite EDC....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV