Blue Dot 41 Mag Load Data

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Blue Dot 41 Mag Load Data

Post by otteray »

Knowing that there was a well published warning about 41 Magnum and Blue Dot, I was surprised to see Barnes listing it in their handgun loads.
Are other sources relisting data again, too, for cast lead, maybe?
I have 5 lbs of it languishing on the shelf and would like to put it to good use. :)

minimum
charge velocity Maximum velocity
Blue Dot 12.1 1364 13.4 1511
otteray
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Blue Dot 41 Mag Load Data

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Only pressure excursion I experienced in almost 50 years of handloading was with Blue Dot in a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag. I got the data from the Speer manual at the time. Locked up the cylinder. Ruger fixed it for me.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Thanks for the info; but I was referring to any NEW data. I had heard rumors some time ago that they were working on it. Barnes is the only one I've seen so far.
otteray
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Otteray, it would be nice to see fresh data. The thing I always liked about Blue Dot was that it wanted to be finely accurate, with excellent velocities.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My older Lyman loading manual has Blue Dot listed, but the newer Nosler and the recently published Hornady do not have it listed.
My thought is the OLD formula was ok, like when it was still Hercules, then it seems to me that when Alliant took over it was changed and now it's VERBOTEN for the 41. Shame, I liked it years ago.
I'm using lilgun now in my 41 mag and love it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!