5744 is such a great/versatile powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

5744 is such a great/versatile powder

Post by AJMD429 »

I like AmmoGuide.com's different sort/select features - you can pick a powder and see what cartridges they have loads for using it, or pick several favorite cartridges, and get a list of what powders are listed in all of them. Obviously there are more ideal components in many cases, but it is nice to have at least one powder that you can stock up an 8 lb keg of and not feel like it may ever go to waste.
5744.png
Big Bores.png
Of course Unique and 2400 are winners too, especially with the big straight-wall cases.

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aipowders.cgi

At only $22/year Ammoguide is a fun way to browse for reloading ideas on a rainy weekend, and has both 'factory' and 'user' load data... 8)

Anyway, glad I bought that keg of 5744 - now I just have to load up some rounds for the next NON-rainy weekend...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 5744 is such a great/versatile powder

Post by fordwannabe »

A certain gun guy on this forum that lives pretty.close to me, and drives a jeep, uses a lot of 5744 in a year's time for dash calibers. Most of the loads he has given me over then heard start with xx grains 5744. So now I have several pounds in. The cabinet cause it works.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:45 pmA certain gun guy on this forum ... uses a lot of 5744 in a year's time for dash calibers. Most of the loads he has given me over then heard start with xx grains 5744. So now I have several pounds in. The cabinet cause it works.
I've been using it since I got my 40-90SBN Sharps!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I even used it in .577 Snider, but it has been a long time ago. When I had a .416 Rigby my favorite plinking load was 50 grains of 5744 under the RCBS gas-checked 350-grain flat nose.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought my first couple pounds about 10 years ago to try in the .45-70. It shot so nice that I soon had loads worked up with it for several similar guns.
saw whet owl
Levergunner

Post by saw whet owl »

This AmmonGuide application looks pretty interesting.

I have never used this powder, but have recently been thinking of giving 5744 a try, in cast bullet loads: 30-40, 300 Savage, and 32 Winchester Special

I have several questions concerning 5744.

1've read that AA 5744 frequently leaves behind considerable unburnt powder? Have you found that to be the case in your experience ?

I've also read that AA 5744 has similar cast bullet applications to the discontinued SR 4759? Again, has that been your expeience and / or obseration ?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Yes, I use it for plinking loads in my .405 WCF and .45-90. These loads are well under max, so can be loaded right from the electronic scale .
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

5744 is a popular powder, and used successfully for years. But it's also a double base powder, and has been the source of gun blow ups when uninformed people used wads above the powder to keep charges against the primer pocket. It should NEVER be used with wads, and is banned from shooting competitions if loaded with wads.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:45 pm A certain gun guy on this forum that lives pretty.close to me, and drives a jeep, uses a lot of 5744 in a year's time for dash calibers. Most of the loads he has given me over then heard start with xx grains 5744. So now I have several pounds in. The cabinet cause it works.
Just got back late last night from a silhouette match upstate. I was so worn out I slept until noon today and this is the first post I clicked on. Did not sleep well in Gunny's hunting cabin. Dang mouse climbed up my leg when I was almost asleep and it left me paranoid. :D

My good friend Tom, Mr. Fordwannabe says it right. I use this powder in dozens of rifles made from the 1870's to now using cast bullets. It's the most uniform, easy igniting , and less position sensitive powder I've ever used. You will not set velocity records with it, but to me, cast bullets don't need to be pushed a million f.p.s.

The downfall is that it has a high nitro content and you had better be careful not to double charge it's loads. I buy this stuff by the case...2 eight pounders in a box. As I use a progressive to load most everything, I weigh each loaded round to be sure.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Looks like I might go get some, it was suggested to me to use it for 45-70 non-gas checked soft cast bullets in my Marlin 95. So after reading this thread, sounds like it might be a good idea to have some on hand. Thanks. :wink:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Several years ago Kirk got me started with 5744 while working up loads for my 45-70. Sixgun gave me a really great load for 38-55 that is deadly accurate too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes , there are crumbs left behind after a shot is fired and sometimes they cause tiny dents in your brass when they get trapped between the case and chamber wall of the next round. I got used to blowing into the chamber to clear them out when plinking and time allows. Otherwise,it is a great powder.
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

My 38-55 is a Marlin 93 made in 1894 and it likes 28gr of 3031.

I'll tell you, you guys got me pumped up about playing with this 5744...off the top of my head, isn't that an Accurate power? AA5744 correct? Is that the powder we are talking about?
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

I just looked through two of my Accurate reloading manuals and neither one shows loads using the 5744? Got lots of other powers with loads that look pretty good too, but just saying?
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Went on line to Accurate's site and their load data shows 36gr-40gr of 5744 with a 405 LC RN bullet. 1667FPS and up.

Almost looks to me like they like the 2230 better. My manual shows those loads and I have some of that powder in stock. This is going to be fun. :wink:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I first started casting and loading cast I used the SR powders a good bit . Eventually those I used SR4759 in were replaced with XMP5744 . For me it seemed 5744 was not as "position sensitive" as 4759 . Whether or not thats true is open to debate .

I used 5744 in just about everything I used cast in from the 25-36 Marlin all the way up to the 45-70 with very good results in just about everything . I would have been perfectly satisified with 5744 until I started shooting heavier cast bullets in the 444 with Micro barrels . IE anything over 315 grains . To get it to work to suit me I found I had better results with H322 , IMR8208 and RL-7 as well as a few others .

Now if it weren't for my wanting to shoot heavier then the usual in the 444 I am quite certain I may very well have stayed satisfied with the XMP5744 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
saw whet owl
Levergunner

Post by saw whet owl »

Many 5744 loads in 4th Edition Lyman's Cast bullet manual.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

KirkD's 5744 load recommendation for the. 45-120 sharps is what landed me here many years ago. :D
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

Great powder! I use it for my 40-65 and 45-70 high walls and 50-90 Sharps.

Dennis.