Can my brass be too short?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Can my brass be too short?

Post by Camel73 »

Hey all! Gettin ready for a campin trip so naturally I pulled out the reloading gear for my 94 30-30 and started punching out old primers.
I began thinking of the case lengths I've been running (I realize the min and max specs) and thought id ask this hopefully simple question...

How short of a case can I load?
So far the only thing I load is subsonic 00 buck, sized to .3125" - they have decent little side walls and have to be crimped a bit to chamber but they've been grouping decent for me.

Most of the brass are actually under the min 2.029" by as much as .010".
These sub load cases have now been reloaded up to 7 times with predictable results with the measurement staying the same for whatever particular batch I'm running.

So, what happens when they are run too short in a cat sneeze load where oal doesn't really matter?

Oh ya, other than crimping issues... but those comments are welcome too, if you're so inclined.
My first child - '94 30-30
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Can my brass be too short?

Post by fordwannabe »

Short is not normally an issue. If you were running any pressure making sure the case capacity is diminished by much So As to not overpressure, but with what you're using them for no worries. In my opinion!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Ya, maybe just keep an eyeball on the area between the end of the case and whatever lead to the lands there are. Keep that chamber area clear for longer brass...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Using overall length for seating will help assure the case volume is the same; you'll just have less brass gripping the bullet on the sides. Crimp accordingly - Lee FCD's are perfect for varying-length brass.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Going over my stuff today had me thinking..
I believe that tomorrow I will go pick up a lee .311" sizer.

Reason being those .312" sized 00 buck are a smidge to fat for my liking (I've come to find a few .3125 and .313"'s as well), as I have to squeeze em pretty good for them to chamber (I use a lee factory crimp die - which has been great). Been kinda hard on the mouths.

Not to mention I've been getting slightly lower fps numbers than another person who has run .311"'s. A longer, tighter bearing surface is slowing it down maybe?

Can't go wrong having a sizer I suppose.
I should have owned one by now anyway.
Maybe .310".... My bore slugged out at .3085"

AJ, the "sized" balls don't turn out to be the same lengths really, so I think that is where I've been running into other issues as well (fliers).

I've been seating them according to how much shank is left exposed past the mouth, which really only solved half of that issue.

Maybe some better grade sorting is in order.

Just thinkin out loud..
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've trimmed cases as short as 2.020, but... that's generally when making rounds for a specific rifle with a short chamber. Sure, they sometimes see use in other rifles, but I don't worry about it. (Just means I don't have to trim quite so often)! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Great, thanks guys!
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Shorter bras will reduce FPS. If you are crimping on a cannelure grove then you will have to seat the bullet deeper and that can increase you pressures. So yes a shorter case does affect the results, but is it a big deal? Just depends on how short you want to go. I would seat the bullet the same and put a good crimp on it regardless of where the grove is to keep the pressures the same.
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Thanks levergun!
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

You are welcome...just FYI....I have shot short brass many times and find it not to be a big deal if the round are all loaded the same. Same charge and seating depth. In a levergun, I have found the seating depth is fairly critical because the distance from the lands is limited to do the action. So having all the rounds the same distance from the lands makes a big difference.

Now that being said, if you want to crimp in the canelary grove, then the brass needs to be the correct length.

Have fun!
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com