Not bad for pot-metal and a 2X4

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Not bad for pot-metal and a 2X4

Post by 1894c »

Hi, I took out my now 3-year old pot-metal and 2X4 levergun today in .22cal. My buddy and I set up a bunch of clay pigeons at 70 yards (measured) and does this levergun shoot. It's not the most expensive (had a Browning and Marlin in the past), but for me it's been the best I have ever owned. Actually, this cheap lever out-shot my Browning BL-22 on paper, I couldn't believe it.

So if your looking for what I consider to be the 10/22 of leverguns, I would recommend the Herny Repeating Arms. Mine happens to be a the Lever Action .22 Carbine Rifle (16" barrel) with large loop lever (see pics). It was a great day breaking clays, had a blast doing it... :)
H001L-large.jpg
IMG_0286.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Not bad for pot-metal and a 2X4

Post by fordwannabe »

Yup I got the same model and have the same opinion. I liked my little one so much I bought myself the 22 mag rifle with the octagon barrel. Also had the little one threaded for a suppressor. Hehe fun.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I know you love that Henry. If I ever desire another .22 that will be the one I get...

.I just sold a decent, older Mountie only because the 9422 fit me mo betta.....My fav right now is a 10/22 take=down with a nice red dot, which is shaping up to be my go-to .22. Once I decide those Ruger 25 round mags are reliable I'm going to fit the whole deal in a fitted briefcase and keep it in the rig for urban emergencies.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have never cared for the Henry rimfires, but everyone I know who has one reports very fine accuracy. They are doing something right at the Henry factory!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Gave my grandson one of those because he shot a friends very well. Seem to be very easy for kids to shoot well. What more do you want?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I currently own a Golden Boy and am very happy with it. I've been looking at their new .410's. Both have pistol grip stocks and I prefer straight. Hoping they come out with the straight stock. But, I'm not going to do what I did with the Winchester and Marlin 410's and wait until they're gone.

No reason I couldn't have one with a pistol grip and one with a straight if it ever comes to pass. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:09 amMy fav right now is a 10/22 take-down with a nice red dot, which is shaping up to be my go-to .22.
I just acquired a Ruger 10/22 too (black receiver and stainless barrel), first one ever. I looked hard at the take-down model, but for me I didn't see the need at the moment. But the guy I shoot with has one and just loves it. I don't know why I like the Henry so much, I should be out there paying BIG MONEY for a Marlin 39. In the end a .22cal lever, rifle, handgun makes life good... :)

PS -- Blaine what kind-of RED DOT do you have?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My grandson bought the standard model several years ago. It is the smoothest levergun this old man has ever shot. The accuracy is just unbelievable
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

DPris (Denis, a forum member here) just published an extreme torture test of a Henry Lever 22 in Guns Of The Old West -- and it was really well done. Over 25k rounds fired!!!

In there, he discusses the different forumlas that "pot metal" can come in, and if I recall, the mix used by Henry is over-spec'd by at least a 1.5X safety margin...

So there is pot metal, POT metal, pot METAL -- and I guess that Henry must use POT METAL! :wink:

No doubt, someday my grandchild (he/she is due in September!!!) WILL HAVE a Henry 22 of their own.

After we start them off on the 22 Rolling Block single shot that I am restoring, that is...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

30-30 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:34 pm
BlaineG wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:09 amMy fav right now is a 10/22 take-down with a nice red dot, which is shaping up to be my go-to .22.
I just acquired a Ruger 10/22 too (black receiver and stainless barrel), first one ever. I looked hard at the take-down model, but for me I didn't see the need at the moment. But the guy I shoot with has one and just loves it. I don't know why I like the Henry so much, I should be out there paying BIG MONEY for a Marlin 39. In the end a .22cal lever, rifle, handgun makes life good... :)

PS -- Blaine what kind-of RED DOT do you have?
I have my Speed Dot on the 10/22, but I also have a couple cheap Bushnels. I might put the Speed Dot on the 629 because of the recoil.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG -- thank you for the reply back, as always, you're the man... :)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Everyone has an opinion. My opinion is that 25,000 rounds without cleaning/maintenance/failures makes for a reliable firearm. I like my .22lr Henry.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I really like my Henry for shooting moose. :)

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I have the 16" carbine myself and with decent standard velocity ammo it will stay under an inch@50 yds for 10 shots. Using Federal Automatch which is hardly target ammo it runs about 1 1/4" at 50 for 10 shots. Nice smooth handy little gun. I hadn't shot it for a few years due to the crazy .22 prices but they are slowly coming back down to earth.