Lee Jurras

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Lee Jurras

Post by JimT »

John Taffin sent word this morning that Lee Jurras passed away in the night. He had been battling cancer for some time. He was a pioneer and did more for the shooting industry than most folks realize. He will be missed.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lee Jurras

Post by earlmck »

Dang it! I don't like it when we loose another of the good guys.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sorry to hear, Jim. The day I turned 21 -- a long time ago! -- I bought a Smith and Wesson Model 28 and two boxes of SuperVel ammunition. I was impressed by the gun and the loads.
Bill
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I dislike hearing this type of news. Lee was big news back when I first got started.....still have a few boxes of his ammo...---6
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That's sad, loved reading about his high velocity handgun loads, when I started in the 70's.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oh no .. :( :cry:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:20 pm That's sad, loved reading about his high velocity handgun loads, when I started in the 70's.
Yes. My chosen duty carry, as soon as I learned of this phenomenal ammo, was SuperVels in my .357 and then later in my .45 ACP Colt Series 70.

Mr. Jurras changed the landscape of modern ammo. I, too, have saved a few precious rounds as a historic memento.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Sad news indeed.
I used SuperVel in my .357 hand guns and Winchester 1892 .357 rifle. Very accurate in both.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Lee Jurras was active on the net about a dozen years ago. I forget which forum I saw him on but we had several good exchanges. Later he was downsizing his library and I bought several books from him. He wrote a personalized message inside each cover.
I've actually wondered about Lee recently and thought he must be getting up there if he were still with us.
Godspeed Lee.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

He is one that made my 80's and college years bearable reading during boring classes, He will be missed.
Byron
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When I was a LEO back in the 70's his ammo was highly prized by the guys I worked with. No telling how many lives he saved.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

May he Rest Peacefully. Men like that leave a hole in the water which takes longer to close when they are gone. Louis L'Amour readers will understand.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I had the honor of meeting Lee Jurras a few years back. I had bought a really nice S&W 25-5 and posted about it on one of the revolver boards. He PMed me through the site and told me he had a few items that would go good with my 25-5. We exchanged info and when he saw my address he told me he would be coming through here in a couple of weeks and how about we meet some place and make the exchange. It didn't take me long to reply back with a yes. It was a Saturday about noon , I had just got off the tractor from plowing all morning and was covered in dust and grime, and he called me and said he was in town. I jumped in my truck and meet up with him. We talked for about 30 minutes and I hate to admit I don't remember much of the conversation. We were standing outside by a busy street in town and I'm a little hard of hearing from shooting guns when I was young without hearing protection and working around jets when I was in the Marines, also Lee was one of the most soft spoken people I ever meet. LOL I didn't want to keep saying "what" over and over so I just stood there and smiled and nodded my head. What I do remember was how cordial he was to a old country boy who was dirty head to toe and spoke to me like he had known me my whole life. He had a lady friend with him and a couple of dogs and they were moving from Indiana to New Mexico. RIP Lee.
Ricky

DWWC