I've gone stupid

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

I've gone stupid

Post by JNG »

I'm giving my grandson a 03 that was sporterized (spelling). I have the mounts and 6X scope. But it's been a long time that I mounted a scope.
Question, How much torque does it require?

Thank you.
Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I've gone stupid

Post by Blaine »

I've never thought about torque, but I'll use Blue Thread Locker that's easily disassembled and put it tight plus a "hair extra" I certainly wouldn't crank down on it at all. I also clean the hole and the screw with alcohol and dry.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Most people wont over torque scope mount screws with a screwdriver or a Torx or hex driver with a screwdriver handle. Those screws are pretty darn tough. I do pretty much like Blaine said above. Note ,the locktite gives the screw a little lubrication so the screw is getting tighter than it would without it. Anyone who had to take apart anything I assembled has complained about me overtightening everything. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are recommendations I've seen posted on some scope-maker sites, but I just make sure the screws are all tightened slowly, and uniformly. I tighten them only enough that the next 1/8th turn or so isn't particularly difficult (I know that's vague). I certainly don't have to 'lean in' to the task, and usually am using wimpy hex-bits that would break if I over-torqued (I know because I've broken them un-screwing stuff others put together or that rusted tight).

I also use a bit of Lok-Tite on the lower scope rings where they contact the tube (it may leave a stain on the scope tube though), and that helps things not slide.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Common sense...no need to crank em......a decent snug...---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I prefer to use acetone to clean screws/ holes. Hand tight should be fine. Plus it dries faster then alcohol( which is mostly water)
What most people do is set the base, scope then go shoot. The lock tite NEEDS time to cure, I always like to set bases at night and allow it to cure at least 12 hours.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you over tighten, you may put a torque on the system which could damage the internals of the scope. :oops: I did it once and was fortunate that Bushnell replaced the scope with no questions. I now adjust the screws until just touching and then go on 1/8th turn of the screwdriver twists on alternating screws until I get resistance on using only 1 fingertip and thumb tip on the handle. Blue Loctite is my favorite helper. I don't have a scope on anything more powerful than a 30-06, so I can't claim anything more than that. It held up perfectly with 180 grain bullets at .5 grain under max loadings for many range sessions and 2 long trips to other countries. A zebra, red stag, roe deer, warthog, and wild european boar can all attest to the scope staying in place.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, you could contact the scope and/or the mount manufacturer and ask. But if you dig it's probably on their website.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad