New US Army sniper rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

New US Army sniper rifle

Post by Ray Newman »

"The Army has chosen a new semi-automatic sniper rifle, replacing the M110 which entered service in 2008.

"According to reports by the Army Times, the winning rifle was the Heckler & Koch G28. According to the the company’s website, the G28 is a version of the HK 417 battle rifle — itself a variation of the AR-10 rifle."

Read all 'bout it:
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-army ... fle-2017-4
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: New US Army sniper rifle

Post by Mainehunter »

Link isn't working.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

So they select a rifle any number of US companies could have built, and probably for less cost. Something tells me a number of DoD employees and Army field-grade officers will be enjoying luxury cruises on the Rhine this year...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That contraption looks like something out of Star Wars....Whatever happened to a Squad Sniper carrying a M700 with a good scope? And, 308 is the go to? Surely, they can do better than that.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Re: .308 vs. anything more effective... Look at the first photo and you'll have your answer.

They need something a woman can handle.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I can't see any real difference between the H&K and the Knight M110? Seems like they simply made a change from one M16 lower to another M16 lower, with slight changes in the barrels.
Article said they wanted something that looked less like a sniper rifle. I never thought the previous one looked like a sniper rifle, so they still look the same.
Now the old sniper rifle based on the Model 700 was a wonderful shooting gun, but pretty darned heavy, so I understand wanting a lighter gun! I have the civilian version I use for varmint hunting, and packing it around all day will test your stamina!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894c

Post by 1894c »

good rifle, good choice... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Army plans to spend just under $45 million to get 3,643 M110A1s. That comes out to $12,000 a rifle, plus all the logistical and support needs for the Army, including the provision of spare parts.
Seems a bit pricey.

And are they really as accurate as a bolt action at a third the cost...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

So there is one article about the military looking to replace the 5.56 with the 7.62. Now were talking about new sniper rifles. Seems there is some money to be spent and some to be made in small arms these days.

I'm sort of reminded of Germany in WWII. Hitler wanted nothing to do with semi auto rifles for the troops. But the military went behind his back and come up with the STG 44. When he finally saw it Hitler approved.

I kind of wonder if our own military hasn't been working on some new arms but kept it from BoBo. While Hitler would have understood small arms, BoBo probably wouldn't.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:52 pm And, 308 is the go to? Surely, they can do better than that.
I can't think of anything better that would function in the AR style rifle.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hitler had been a soldier, which we all know. Oblamer was not.
The 7.62 NATO was pretty effective in the M14 and the M60. And, the AR platform is pretty accurate in all variations.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JB wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 am
BlaineG wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:52 pm And, 308 is the go to? Surely, they can do better than that.
I agree....I guess what I was saying is that I don't consider this Ray Gun AR a sniper rifle. Backward progress considering the 50 BMG sniper rifles in use. 338s, too....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:21 am
JB wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 am
I agree....I guess what I was saying is that I don't consider this Ray Gun AR a sniper rifle. Backward progress considering the 50 BMG sniper rifles in use. 338s, too....
Doubt those will disappear. All three have a place. For those that are snipers the .338 and the 50 BMG will still have a place. I'm willing to bet someone has figured out that if or LMG's, infantry rifles and sniper rifles all chamber the same cartridge it might simplify supply logistics. Wow, now there is a new idea. Oh wait, we once had out LMG's, SAW's, and infantry rifles, and sniper rifles chambered for the 30-06. But that was obviously such a bad idea we ended up 30-06 LMG's, 5.56 infantry rifles, 7.62 SAW's (sort of, the M60 was a middle child that never did figure out where it fit in) and sniper rifles in a variety of calibers.

I'm thinking we might end up with 7.62 LMG's, 5.56 SAW's and 7.62 infantry and sniper rifles. Almost down to one round for them all like we had in WWII. Yep we on the verge of going back in time, again. I can imagine a time when some one might figure out that all you need are three rounds for infantry weapons, 50 BMG, 7.62 NATO, and if we can believe what we are reading these days .45 acp for handguns.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

In my opinion an accurate semi auto sniper rifle is a great choice for military or police. Movies always depict a sniper with a bolt making a one shot kill at super long ranges and having to shoot 1/4" groups. In reality police are more concerned with extreme accuracy at short ranges because of hostage rescue scenarios while a military sniper inflicts casualties to the enemy and train to hit human size targets at much longer ranges. But both can also be tasked with supplying cover to a team making an entry or team movement. That's where an accurate semi auto with 20 round mags come in handy. H&K also makes a great firearm. I don't think the military has any plans to get rid of 50 caliber sniper rifles. Another tool for a specific need.