Does your dog watch TV?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Does your dog watch TV?

Post by jnyork »

Supposedly dogs cant see TV very much if at all, but some can. My friend, an older fellow, just got a new-to-him little 6 month old pup from the pet rescue outfit. Tonight, he called me to report he turned on NatGeo Wild to watch a show about dogs, he related that the pup took an avid interest in the show, sitting alertly in front of the set and giving a good bark at the different dogs as they appeared on the screen. Friend says he thinks the pup enjoyed the show as much as he did. :D

Any of you had any experience with this sort of thing?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Does your dog watch TV?

Post by Griff »

Our cat will sometimes watch the TV, but usually only if there is movement on the screen. Like me, usually curls up on the couch and falls asleep... or so the wife claims!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Had a rescue shih tzu that would react and watch dogs on the TV screen. To be fair he reacted definitely to dogs barking or howling on the screen more. Then he would get closer to the screen and appear to be watching. Several other dogs we have had would react to dogs barking on the TV, start looking around to locate the source of the sound, but not stare at the TV. A scarlet macaw we had for years would react to nature shows that had macaws or parrots making noise on the TV.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I can say that every one of the 5 labs, the Jack Russell and one of the 2 daschounds did watch dog/ animal shows, BUT mostly when they were young and gullible. Seems as their brains matured they lost interest in the tv.
As to IF they can see the tv, of course they can, otherwise they would be blind.... It's the 2 dimension picture they have the issue with. Also, dogs have evolved to see distance, nose makes up for close in work.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

So, how do they know what a dog sees? And if they can see stuff around them, why can't they see TV. Me thinks no one has really found a way to know what someone else, much less another species "sees". Wouldn't it be funny if they see it but are smart enough to realize it isn't worth the time or energy to pay attention.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

My daughters akita watches the tv when there are horses and deer on. Sometimes he pays attention to other animals on it but mostly horses and deer.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My dog only watches the commercials.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've often wondered what dogs comprehend from tv. We have four yorkies and I shih zhu and like others here have said, will respond to dogs barking or wolves howling.

Mostly though , they respond to me when I walk in the room with a plate of food.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Mine wont respond to TV until they perfect "smellivision".
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Our current puppies have shown no interest in the TV, but our previous dog went nuts when she heard a doorbell on the tube - just like she went nuts when she heard it in real life!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

My bird dogs enjoyed "Hunting with Hank" and "Gun Dog TV". Actually, they DO seem to respond more to wolves howling on TV or dogs barking. Sound seems to be more interesting to them.