Work Has Started on the Rolling Blocks (part 1)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Work Has Started on the Rolling Blocks (part 1)

Post by Old No7 »

Well, the work has started on not one...

But now "two" Rolling Block projects are active in my workshop. I thought I'd post some pictures of how it goes for both of them as they progress from where they started to what they end up to be. I just hope they finish as well as I'm anticipating. :wink:

The first is the No. 4 22 LR Rolling Block boy's rifle (click for link) that I had posted about recently. That one will get the butt and receiver case-colored, the wood restored (but not refinished), the action parts brightened/reblued, and I'll also attempt to do a "DIY" reline of the shot-out bore. I found that I can buy the 22 liner and rent the chamber reamer and a piloted drill for the liner all for about $120 (which is lots less than sending it all out). I'll do that work at my brother-in-law's machine shop, as he's interested in this project too.

The second is known as "The Beast", a 12.4 pound No. 1 45-70 Schuetzen Rolling Block (click for link) that I acquired last summer. The bore on that one is fine and the action is very tight and has passed all my gunsmith's tests. I'll clean up a few spots on the nicely figured wood stocks, replace the awful hex screws on the action, replace the tang sight (as it's cheap and has a lot of slop) and then will case-color the Swiss butt, a plate that I added to the forearm for a palm rest and the trigger guard & receiver.

I was told by the shop to prep all the metal parts for case-color by using a 300-grit purple 3M pad and all that work is now done. I will admit that I found a 300-grit Dremel brush to use and that sped up the prep on all the curved surfaces. I did back the 3M pad with a wood block on all the flats, but I can easily tell a prior owner of the old No. 1 hadn't done that when they cleaned it up many years ago.

Here's what those parts look like now; they're all set to be carefully wrapped and packed up to be sent out for color:
Rem RB C-Color prep (Medium).jpg

Not sure when I'll post the next update, as spring and the boating & fishing (and turkey) seasons are almost upon us, but these 2 projects should give me plenty to do whenever I do get down into the cellar.

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Work Has Started on the Rolling Blocks (part 1)

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice work ! I'm looking forward to your progress.

I hope you can bag a beard, with a nice fan to display - good luck !

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice job, looking forward to seeing the finished rifles...... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Just recently bored two rifles for liners. A Remington Hepburn and 1885 Winchester. Both will be back to original 32-20.

I also did a few more old 1873 rifles in 38-40.

I did a whole article on my web site about it. Lots of fun and they all shoot excellent now.

Take your time with lots of cutting oil. At 125 RPM I'm now boring .25" at a time before the drill piles up with chips.

Have fun
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool, they're gonna be beauties I bet. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Good luck with your projects.

Pictures are appreciated.

Mark
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Are you sending the parts out locally to be color-case hardened?
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:10 pm Are you sending the parts out locally to be color-case hardened?
Not quite "local" Jay; as they've going out to Lee Shaver Gunsmithing in MO (shipped out yesterday), as he specializes in single shots and old guns, plus he publishes The Single Shot Exchange which was my late father's favorite gun magazine (back when Col. Boyd was publisher). Lee's done a great job with the SSE, and I've actually got a few articles in mind for it; plus these two projects will make a couple more.

Tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:19 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:10 pm Are you sending the parts out locally to be color-case hardened?
Not quite "local" Jay; as they've going out to Lee Shaver Gunsmithing in MO (shipped out yesterday), as he specializes in single shots and old guns, plus he publishes The Single Shot Exchange which was my late father's favorite gun magazine (back when Col. Boyd was publisher). Lee's done a great job with the SSE, and I've actually got a few articles in mind for it; plus these two projects will make a couple more.

Tight groups.

Old No7
Good to know! Thanks Darryl, and good luck with the projects. Looking forward to many updates!!! :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Wow, I am a sucker for Rolling blocks. Can't wait to see how they turn out
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis