Reached a milestone Tuesday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Reached a milestone Tuesday

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tuesday this week I reached a milestone, or hit a goal, depending on how you look at it.

As many of you know, my back sucks. Multiple injuries, surgeries, issues, PT, blown discs, etc. Starting at the beginning of 2015 I decided to shed the spare tire IU was carrying to help reduce the strain on my back. I dropped 63 pounds - and have kept it off - through a combination of a low carb diet and moderate, low-impact exercise (the only thing I can tolerate). I walk, a lot, as I have found it helps me get through the day. Motion is my friend. Sitting for long periods is not, and worse is standing (I can still only tolerate a few minutes of that).

In 2015 the wife and kids got me a smart watch. One of the neat things it does is keeps track of my steps each day. For a man 52 years of age, it says the average number of steps per day is around 5,000. I set my initial goal at 6,000 steps a day. Spoke with my doctor a bit later and she recommended a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. For me, I'm pretty much at 2,000 steps to a mile, almost exactly. The step-counter keeps me motivated and on track (no pun intended). Being a bit OCD (okay, a lot) "helps" as well. I gradually increased my goal over the last year. I found that starting the day on the treadmill and walking 4 miles helped get me through the day in much less pain than when I didn't start with a walk.

So, after the first week of this year, I have tried to get in at least 20,000 steps each day. I have managed to do that every day for the past 10 weeks! On Tuesday this week, I took my 2,000,000 step of the year!!! That's 1,000 miles of walking.

My best day ever was in February. Between my usual morning walk, walking all day at a trade show, and then an additional walk that evening in the hotel's fitness center (to ease the pain in my back; I know - it sounds counter intuitive), I walked 44,045 steps in one day.

Motion is my friend!

Jay
YK
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reached a milestone Tuesday

Post by Pete44ru »

That's a fair bit of walking, and I'm glad you found something that works for you - now, you can stick a rifle in yer hand & go walk-about. :)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very good.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Well done my friend ! :D
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 pm Tuesday this week I reached a milestone, or hit a goal, depending on how you look at it.

As many of you know, my back sucks. Multiple injuries, surgeries, issues, PT, blown discs, etc. Starting at the beginning of 2015 I decided to shed the spare tire IU was carrying to help reduce the strain on my back. I dropped 63 pounds - and have kept it off - through a combination of a low carb diet and moderate, low-impact exercise (the only thing I can tolerate). I walk, a lot, as I have found it helps me get through the day. Motion is my friend. Sitting for long periods is not, and worse is standing (I can still only tolerate a few minutes of that).

In 2015 the wife and kids got me a smart watch. One of the neat things it does is keeps track of my steps each day. For a man 52 years of age, it says the average number of steps per day is around 5,000. I set my initial goal at 6,000 steps a day. Spoke with my doctor a bit later and she recommended a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. For me, I'm pretty much at 2,000 steps to a mile, almost exactly. The step-counter keeps me motivated and on track (no pun intended). Being a bit OCD (okay, a lot) "helps" as well. I gradually increased my goal over the last year. I found that starting the day on the treadmill and walking 4 miles helped get me through the day in much less pain than when I didn't start with a walk.

So, after the first week of this year, I have tried to get in at least 20,000 steps each day. I have managed to do that every day for the past 10 weeks! On Tuesday this week, I took my 2,000,000 step of the year!!! That's 1,000 miles of walking.

My best day ever was in February. Between my usual morning walk, walking all day at a trade show, and then an additional walk that evening in the hotel's fitness center (to ease the pain in my back; I know - it sounds counter intuitive), I walked 44,045 steps in one day.

Motion is my friend!

Jay
YK
Well when you get around to it, walk on over. I'll buy lunch (10 miles north of Sidney MT). Congratulations on your success.
Last edited by harry on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's quite an achievement Jay, I'm glad you've found a way of controlling some of the back pain and helping with the weight too, well done 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well done!
I too have back issues and I find walking is a huge help.
When I worked at the lumber yard I averaged 6-10 miles of walking a day, even while having to make deliveries I'd average 4-6 a day. Boy I DONT miss that place!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's awesome. :mrgreen: Pretty soon you'll be entering "Ironman" competitions... :P That's when you'll need to be careful! So much time training and other things start to slip... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Fantastic! I really admire that. I hope I can do a 1/0th of what you do in a day.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kid, Good for ya bro. I got ya beat though. I got up this morning and walked aaaallllllll the way to the refrigerator.---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good for you, Kid! I couldn't do that. I'm so lazy I'd rather get beat with a ski pole than exercise. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GOOD on you. Keep it up, YK!
Wear out those moccasins!

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JohndeFresno wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:43 pm GOOD on you. Keep it up, YK!
Wear out those moccasins!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't posted a slipper picture in a coon's age! Thanks for reminding me!

I may have spoke to soon - or bragged too loudly. My flipping back flared up on me over the weekend. I've been in darn-near agony since. Two PT sessions, rotating between heat, ice and very slow walks on the treadmill. Had to resort to the "chemical cocktail" (muscle-relaxer, anti-inflammatory and pain meds). I should know better than to curse myself... :( :( :(