Price haggling with a friend

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Price haggling with a friend

Post by jnyork »

Subject came up on another board, what are your thoughts on price haggling with your friend when he has something for sale. My philosophy is that trying beat your good friend down on a price is bad form and bad manners. Friendship is worth more that the small amount of discount you might win. Either buy the item at his price or don't buy it .

Now, with a stranger or dealer, that's another story, I will and do haggle with the best of them, everyone expects it and if they don't they wont likely make a sale with me.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Price haggling with a friend

Post by Old Savage »

Well here is the opposite, I don't "haggle". If I want it I buy it. If I sell something, I say what I want. If you try to "haggle" with me you are likely not going to get it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I will haggle with ANYONE over anything as EVERYONE has a built in highball. And we'll haggle with bourbon lube and laff our collective BUTTS off to a farethewell.
And so it goes...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Terry Murbach wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 am I will haggle with ANYONE over anything as EVERYONE has a built in highball. And we'll haggle with bourbon lube and laff our collective BUTTS off to a farethewell.
And so it goes...
This :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I don't see any reason to set a firm policy on that. Every situation is different.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now, no one mentioned bourbon before but I prefer Scotch.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jnyork wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:40 am
My philosophy is that trying beat your good friend down on a price is bad form and bad manners.

Friendship is worth more that the small amount of discount you might win. (Or, the item you may pass on)

Either buy the item at his price or don't buy it .

+1, in spades.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Amongst friends we all tend to price guns differently than we would with a stranger. So I will give a friend a lower price, or get a lower price, and no haggling involved. I'd be a bit shocked if I told my friend I was asking x dollars, but he could have it for a lower price, and then have him offer even less. We just treat friends better, whether it's buying or selling.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

'Old Savage' has it right! I hate haggling. I price my stuff at what I want to get and expect the same in return. I especially detest the 'what will you give me' jabronies. Don't even waste my time on them. They're on a 'fishing expedition' and no matter what you offer, you won't get it. They just go to the next 'sucker' and tell them I had an offer of 'so much', what will you give me? If a guy prices something reasonable and I want it, I buy it, and don't try to low-ball him. I consider that an insult!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I go by what the item is and how desirable it is. If it's a standard Remington 870 and let's pretend that the going price is $200. I'll say, "hey bud, they go for 2, take it for a buck and a half.

An 86 Winchester that's worth 3 big ones might go for 28 for a bud. He ain't getting it for 2. I set the price and give a more than fair deal to my bud and he will know that. If he tries to beat me down below a low price, he don't get it. Funny thing though, most friends don't wheel and deal with one another. Then, you have to figure what you have into it and how bad you want to move it. Millions of variables.

Then, if your filthy rich, why not just give it away? For me, on items that are in the "case of beer range" , I just give it away to a bud. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:47 am Well here is the opposite, I don't "haggle". If I want it I buy it. If I sell something, I say what I want. If you try to "haggle" with me you are likely not going to get it.
Same here - I just pay what is asked if I think it is a good price, and walk away if it isn't. No hard feelings - it's the same feeling that makes me go to another gas station if the 'pay-at-pump' is broken. After a 16 hour day talking to people about stuff I guess I don't want to interact verbally. Same if I'm selling; I ask what I want, and if it is too much I figure the potential buyer will go find a better deal.

I avoid environments where 'haggling' is expected (the wife had to be the one to buy the only new car I ever bought). I also hate it when "tips" are expected to be 'automatically' a given amount or percent. If I'm not to be given FULL discretion about what to tip the waitress then what's the point...? And if it is 'expected' to give the twerp who fetches my car at the hotel $10, I will park down the street and pay $25, because the sign says "pay $25" instead of someone standing there 'expecting' $10.

.....Some say I'm sorta 'anti-social..... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I didn't grow up with anyone who haggled, and don't really understand it. I will comparison shop, especially on cars. I check everyone's posted price, and go where it looks like the best deal. Only time I ever bought a gun from my older brother's friend, it was half of the price of a new one and I was 15. That Marlin Glenfield 60 is still in my gun safe.
If it were a sale with a friend who was close enough to drink with, I would probably be willing to haggle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I just can't profit from a friend but it's fun to see what my hunting buddies will come up with to trade; just because I show up in camp with something different most years they think I trade a lot.

My 2 closest friends can have anything I've got just by asking, but I agree with Terry. There'd be bourbon and a lot of talk before they'd take anything home.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't feel right trying to beat down a friend. I figure if we are friends they are already letting it go for their minimum by offering it to me. We both know they could ask more elsewhere.
I recently bought some stuff from a friend, and when they told me the price I knew it was way low. Tried to give him more money. We "haggled up" so that we both felt ok with the transaction.
I don't have a lot of friends, and value a friend more than a few bucks or an item.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OldWin wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:59 pmI recently bought some stuff from a friend, and when they told me the price I knew it was way low. Tried to give him more money. We "haggled up" so that we both felt ok with the transaction.
Good point - I guess I have done that kind of 'haggling' a few times. A friend was selling me a truck he first repaired, and a major engine failure during the process (a mistake he made) resulted in a new rebuilt engine being needed, so I insisted on covering half what the new engine cost.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I absolutely love haggling, and would never consider not making an offer for anyone who isn't a friend! Occasionally I see something that's such a good price I wont make a lower offer, but that's pretty rare. But friends don't get haggled with.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Friendship to me is pretty much priceless. I've purchased guns from friends, and always use the same philosophy. I tell them what I' think they'd get selling the gun to a store who had to make a profit reselling it, what they'd make selling it on their own, what it is worth - and let them know how I came to these determinations. I then make an offer between what they'd get for a quick sale to the store, and what they might get to another buyer. Try to make it a win-win for both of us.

I, as a whole, do not sell items I buy, and have only sold a couple to friends over the decades. I use the exact same approach in reverse: this is what you'd pay at a store, this is what the gun is worth, this is what you'd pay from an individual, and finally, this is what I'm willing to let it go for. Trying for the win-win.

I'd rather keep the friend, always...
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

"it is worth that but all I can afford is ..." seems manly and fair.