A lot of Bull

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

A lot of Bull

Post by ollogger »

Fairly common occurrence where I live the neighbors stock decides the grass is greener on my side of the fence, so tonight
there is 6 cows & a bull on mine, so I walked out there & they take off for the hole in the fence they made coming over
all went through except the bull, he stopped & turned and give me a look even at bout 40 yards I could see he was looking nasty
well I was reaching for my 38 air weight & here he comes, I knew I had one shot that had to count & at bout 10 feet the gun went off but at that same time he lowered his head & I seen the bullet hit him in the thick of the neck & shoulder , at the same time I jumped to the side & he hit my arm with his shoulder, it all happened very fast & some how the memory is not crystal clear on the whole charge, the book kill or be killed popped into my head & I felt very calm but not sure a 38 with hp would reach the brain
any ways after the shot the bull ran up to the fence & made another hole in it, I called the owner & told him the story & he was
very happy that I was still alive & well, he came over & buy that time the bull & a few cows were on mine again the bull showed
no ill effects neither could we see any blood on him ( it was raining ) the only blood I found was on my jacket when he hit me
when I was jumping, no I will never go on foot after stock again that has a bull in it!! Don't tell me I need to have a better fence
its 6 wire already

ollogger
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A lot of Bull

Post by OldWin »

Wow! Glad you're ok man! That is some heavy duty cowboy happenins right there.
Need more gun though. Maybe a nice ivory gripped SAA in a hand tooled quick draw rig.

Glad it turned out ok.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Brad......whoa....close one dude!!!! Over the years we have heard a half dozen stories where bulls will push their head in your chest and drive you in the ground. All of these people were seriously hurt with one guy my wife knew bought the farm...so to speak.......As we age I think we become complacent in our safety. I once had an unbroke crazy thoroughbred come after me and all I had was a 9mm Smith on me. This horse was bent on running me over and I plunked about four rounds in the ground right in front of it and he stopped ...thankfully.

Glad your ok bro.....now...go get yourself a couple of cold ones!---6.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sounds like a 4" 29 S&W ought to be about your minimum if that is a future possibility.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I was contemplating raising "carabao" (domesticated Asiatic water buffalo) if im able to get a decent size piece of real estate in the province in the Philippines . I used to raise feeder calves when I was younger but now in my mid 50's I'm not sure i wanna deal with that 😦
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BOY ! Does that ever remind me of waaaay back when I was a young hunter, and a hunting companion & myself were cutting across a pasture with cows off to one side.

It turned out the one of the "cows" turned out to be a bull, who quickly took exception to our trespass..... :roll:

I never knew that humans could run faster than a bull (we didn't really - we were just lucky enough to get over a fence before he got to us).

I hope you're not still feeling the aftereffects of the "bump". :)

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

At 62 running was not a option :lol: yes most of the time when after a bull I took a 12 gauge but never had no trouble
Jack said it right when you get older you may get complacent, I knew better than that!!
the bull just brushed me enough to leave behind the blood & hair on my jacket, with a 5 shooter I didn't want to waste ammo I thought if he got me down I may be able to put one in his eye, after this I may just get used to carrying my ruger in 45 colt
I got charged by a over sized bear in Wis. years ago in back of my house & I had no gun with me, that lesson stuck with me for years, may be I will consider always carry a big dang gun!!!

ollogger
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

ollogger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 pm At 62 running was not a option :lol: yes most of the time when after a bull I took a 12 gauge but never had no trouble
Jack said it right when you get older you may get complacent, I knew better than that!!
the bull just brushed me enough to leave behind the blood & hair on my jacket, with a 5 shooter I didn't want to waste ammo I thought if he got me down I may be able to put one in his eye, after this I may just get used to carrying my ruger in 45 colt
I got charged by a over sized bear in Wis. years ago in back of my house & I had no gun with me, that lesson stuck with me for years, may be I will consider always carry a big dang gun!!!

ollogger
Pass on by the 45 Colt and maybe the 44 MAG step up to the plate with a 480 Ruger 475 Linebaugh or 50 S&W and maybe in a pinch the 460 S&W . Just kidding I am sure a 45 Colt with a nice hard cast 250+ grain bullet juiced a bit would do the trick . Although I must profess I am a more a 44 MAG person .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm sure glad you survived that one.... :o :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I wouldn't go with a magnum (YMMV) a .44 Special with hard cast bullets will do fine.

Understand being from the gunshine state Hernando de Soto landed here in 1521. The cattle industry in north America started here in Florida. We don't have cowboys. We have cow men and cowhunters. The reason we're called CRACKERS is because of the cow whips we carried ( not bull whips) when working cows. Most of the whips here today are made from the outer casing from paracord. In the old days it was actually made from buckskin. If you can pop a whip one made from paracord will sound like a .22 going off. A buckskin whip will sound like a 12 Ga and have authority. A buckskin whip will also cut deep into the hide if you hit something with it. You can move a bull with a whip but it's usually a war of wills. Pop around him a few time and he'll usually move.
We raised gentle Brahmas for years. No whips around our place. Just a feed bucket to move them where you wanted them.

Glad you weren't hurt Ollie. God bless.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Rusty wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:27 am I wouldn't go with a magnum (YMMV) a .44 Special with hard cast bullets will do fine.

Understand being from the gunshine state Hernando de Soto landed here in 1521. The cattle industry in north America started here in Florida. We don't have cowboys. We have cow men and cowhunters. The reason we're called CRACKERS is because of the cow whips we carried ( not bull whips) when working cows. Most of the whips here today are made from the outer casing from paracord. In the old days it was actually made from buckskin. If you can pop a whip one made from paracord will sound like a .22 going off. A buckskin whip will sound like a 12 Ga and have authority. A buckskin whip will also cut deep into the hide if you hit something with it. You can move a bull with a whip but it's usually a war of wills. Pop around him a few time and he'll usually move.
We raised gentle Brahmas for years. No whips around our place. Just a feed bucket to move them where you wanted them.

Neat post - thanx for posting it ! !

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

ollogger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:56 pm Don't tell me I need to have a better fence
its 6 wire already
You need a better fence.

Just kidding. I'm glad you were not badly hurt. Those things can tear you up. We never kept a bull if it started to act aggressive, but we had the advantage of a good supply of good young stock for replacement.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

City boy here. I haven't had the blessing to be around a lot of stock, but the bulls I've seen up close were big! :shock: Owning a few .44 Magnums I might keep one on me if I were to go into a bull's domain, but I think I'd just stay on the other side of the fence, or in my truck...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rusty, how heavy are you loading those .44 Spl.? I have loaded them from around 700 - 1250 fps.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That was too close for comfort, glad all ended well.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Glad you got out of that OK! :D

Would you mind doing it just once more and get it on video this time? :P
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

claybob86 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:46 pm Glad you got out of that OK! :D

'Zackly...Ms Boots could run the camera.... :D 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

About 26 years ago, not too long after I bought the house I'm still in, I was walking out back and came on a bull and cow. That bull gave me "the look" and I backed off fast as heck till I was able to get to the house. The farmer that owned those cows was known for not keeping his fences up. So I found my stash of 405 gr 45-70 shells and went and knocked on his door. I introduced myself and complained about his bull being on my property. He was standing there with a couple of the farm hands and they were all treating it like a big joke.

I didn't get mad, I just reached into my pocket and handed him that 45-70 shell and told him the next time I catch that bull on my property, the bull was getting one of "these". His eyes got huge and I just turned and walked away.

Never saw the bull on my property again.

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

When the bear charged me I had a video camera in my hands but some how it didn't occur to me to turn it on
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

ollogger wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:48 pm

When the bear charged me I had a video camera in my hands but some how it didn't occur to me to turn it on
I can understand that!
It wouldn't have occurred to me to find a bathroom either. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Nah, your Smith is big enough. You just want to call the neighbour first. Let him go into the pasture. His bull after all. :)

Cat
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Anybody here ever shot a charging bull or is this a lot of bull?

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think any 1000-1200 fps chunk of hard-cast lead that is in a caliber beginning with a '4' should do the job IF you decide to go for a re-enactment.

I think in grizzly country I'd probably opt for a Glock in 10mm though.

A big bull is definitely 'impressive', even when NOT viewed from the weaponized end....!

This one is named Barnsford Ferny....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I'll have you know that my inlaws are custom butchers. The steers that come in all get shot....with a .22. On the occasional bull that gets made into hot dogs and scrapple get a .22 magnum.......between the eyes and about an inch high...they drop like a sack of potatos.---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am not sure I would be able to place a shot in just the right place if the bull were charging me. Using a .22 is under controlled circumstances.
One Uncle used to carry a pickaxe handle when he moved his cattle from pasture to pasture. Any bull that got aggressive was given a king sized headache fast and hard. He may have had a pistol on him, but I don't remember. Last saw him do it when I was still able to show my age on my fingers and thumbs with one or two left over. I was pretty impressed at seeing a 2 or 3 year old bull drop to its knees and stay there for a couple of long breaths. That Uncle was trained as a blacksmith by my Grandfather.

Glad you are OK. Might be time for your neighbor to invest in a good electric fence.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Glad you're ok ollogger!

Rusty wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:27 am I wouldn't go with a magnum (YMMV) a .44 Special with hard cast bullets will do fine.

On the ranch I grew up on we had a big (as a little kid I thought HUGE) brahma bull. Probably the gentlest creature I've ever seen in my life. He knew he was intimidating! We'd be out with the herd and you'd feel the softest touch on the back of your leg and it'd be that big ol' bull standing there with his head down near the ground wanting to be scratched. We all scratched the cows and the bulls too with the end of a shovel handle (they loved it).
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:53 pm I'll have you know that my inlaws are custom butchers. The steers that come in all get shot....with a .22. On the occasional bull that gets made into hot dogs and scrapple get a .22 magnum.......between the eyes and about an inch high...they drop like a sack of potatos.---6
Jack I know that to be true, seen it first hand but a 22 mag will go through one side of a 10 gallon propane cylinder an the
45 acp or colt or 357 - 38 will just dent it, how that compares to a bulls noggin I have no idea

Brad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This topic reminds me of friends long ago. They had a steer heading for butcher. They were to slaughter it on the farm and take it in quarters. So out comes a 38, one betwixt the eyes, steer went down then got up. Went through the fence into the hay field like a ballistic missle.Try as they might it wouldn't let anyone near it again. Finally someone grabbed the next handy longer range firearm, M1. Ammo on hand was AP & tracer. They light that poor steer up with all 8 rounds before it finally went down. Amazing what a little adrenaline does for an animal.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Brad, I can only think of one thing, no one else has mentioned... and you probably know it too... no matter how sexy Ms. Boots thinks that red plaid shirt is, the bull don't! :P :D :D The most successful bullfighters don't WEAR their cape while in the arena! :P :P

Glad you're ok.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I worked for a packing house about 30 years ago for a short time. I just handled/delivered the processed parts, nuttin live. I watched some cattle get processed from walking to hanging quarters and the feller that started the process off used a 22 shooting blanks. I guess the blank just knocked them out and their throats were cut about 1 minute later. I asked why blanks and was told the beef only had one brain and they got good money for them. :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

you're a tough guy with young reflexes. glad you're OK. beautiful spot, even if you have to share it with nasty beasts.

:)
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You need to stick with the 22 Mag to drop bulls. I tried it with a 45 ACP once and 1400 lb. steer just put his head down and shook it off. I ended up using a 30-30 to put him down. I'd seen the 22 Mag work before but thought "surely" the 1911 would do the job but it didn't. Ended up having to drag his carcass out of a creek with a tractor.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Whooooo Hooooo we had us a rodeo! Just like a man.... I am just home from work, I say let me get outta these FRs and I will help you get these cattle outta this pasture, we done been there and done that many times. We have A huge ranch off to the west and North of ours and have chased a many bull and cows out. But this Bull had an attitude! He was pushing around a young heifer that clearly wanted through the north fence to those groaning bulls down the neighbors ranch a ways. So I by the time I get out there here is Ollogger with blood all over his coat sleeve and a rather "I been huntin the big Cape Buffalo " look on his face! Geeeezzzz I am thinking of Capstick and all those serious hunts and dream hunts in Africa..... and here he stands with his snub nose!!! This man reloads and has guns that would put down and elephant and he goes out with this 38? ummm Here comes mama with the 45!! lol let me tell you this man is very fortunate to be here... that bull was massive and had an attitude. He was in the mood to put him in the ground... nope aint happenin.. cuz he is never going out on foot again with a bull.. and when he does go out he will have my 338 loaded for cape buff! :roll: 8)
Psalms 83:18 Dan 2:44
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:20 pm You need to stick with the 22 Mag to drop bulls. I tried it with a 45 ACP once and 1400 lb. steer just put his head down and shook it off. I ended up using a 30-30 to put him down. I'd seen the 22 Mag work before but thought "surely" the 1911 would do the job but it didn't. Ended up having to drag his carcass out of a creek with a tractor.
Yep. 22 WMR is what I've used when I "have to drop an animal now, and not make a mess" - even to the point of euthanizing our Dalmatian while in my wife's lap. I was really scared the dog would do the 'flip-flop-dance' that raccoons do when head-shot with a 22 LR, but she insisted on holding the dog until the last minute, and even if the dog wasn't on her lap, a 12-gauge buckshot to the dog's head would have been way too upsetting for my wife, even though it would be humane.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhhhhh...Ms. Boots......you tell a great story..words and all......your sweetheart is one lucky dude....good ole Brad.........

Good thing I like you both....as I'd steal you away if the opportunity came. :D -----6
Model A Uzi’s
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:54 pm Ahhhhhh...Ms. Boots......you tell a great story..words and all......your sweetheart is one lucky dude....good ole Brad.........

Good thing I like you both....as I'd steal you away if the opportunity came. :D -----6
Jack ---- one half second slower with that bull & Ms, Boots would be up for grabs now :lol:

Brad
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Might have been logger down, trees and bulls, two different things, lol, love ya six gun, 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya Brad! :D :D .....I still say you...and Ms. Boots are both lucky.

You guys have had enough excitement ...take a break and slam down a few cold ones.

I'd say the best party in the history of the world would be you two guys, Old Win., Old Savage , Pitchy, Griff, (of course, me), and all of the guys here.......(I drank some 7% local craft beer tonight).....let the party begin!!!!! Ms. Boots...your in charge!-------------6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Will he carry a 4 5/8" 454?

Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Griff wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:11 am Brad, I can only think of one thing, no one else has mentioned... and you probably know it too... no matter how sexy Ms. Boots thinks that red plaid shirt is, the bull don't! :P :D :D The most successful bullfighters don't WEAR their cape while in the arena! :P :P

Glad you're ok.
LOL,
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:15 pm Will he carry a 4 5/8" 454?
if I had one but the ruger in 45 will have to do for now, black hawk ss 4 5/8 bbl. nice revolver

Brad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pics?

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

CowboyTutt gave me some 360s loaded to about 1100 fps in a 45 Colt Ruger.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

WOW. How to deal with all that moving carnage...

It has been years since I lived among the livestock up in the mountains, and I don't patrol around the dairies and farms anymore. So my first thoughts ran to the environment I now see daily, and with the folks who surround me in the neighborhood.

Well, try as I did, I could not think of an app that would have saved you! . Glad you are all right, Ol' Logger!
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Hey 6-guns, awesome to see you again!!! :D
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:38 am CowboyTutt gave me some 360s loaded to about 1100 fps in a 45 Colt Ruger.

You sure that's big enough for an angry bull? I've always heard anything larger than a south eastern whitetail needs a minimum of 400 grains and 3500fps otherwise it will just bounce off the skin!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Wow that's impressive you got away and dealt with it calmly with only a few marks! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

TL - where have you been.

JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I've never been attacked by a charging bull! One time my chunky sister in-law charged me for grabbing the last slice of apple pie!
I'm just kidding, it was cherry pie!
Johnny
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

.45 Colt will shoot a big hole right through a bovine creature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.