Fix for Greasegun Stuck on Zerks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Fix for Greasegun Stuck on Zerks

Post by JohndeFresno »

It was time to regrease my Hornady Lock-N-Load press after some prolonged loading.

To my dismay, the grease gun coupling stuck immovably onto each and every zerk fitting, apparently due to back pressure.

Following the prescribed procedure, I unscrewed the grease gun from the coupling to relieve pressure, but still had to exert a tremendous amount of pull on the coupling, using channel locks, to free up each zerk and move on to the next.

No more. I found this device at Amazon and have ordered it. The seller claims that it avoids messy application (keeping the grease inside the zerk, not outside. But far more important, the clamping device allows you to quickly detach the coupling, according to the product specifications - no more extended tug-of-wars with my press.

Just thought that I would pass it along. If it works, then that is a worthwhile expenditure of $29.95.

FYI: This photo comes from my new image site, imgr.com. Photobucket has gotten w a a a y__t o o__s l o o o w...
If you are interested, see other thread: IMGR Replaces SLOOOW Photobucket
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Fix for Greasegun Stuck on Zerks

Post by AJMD429 »

I really HATE "grease guns". Every one I have owned seems to get the airlock syndrome and quit pumping. That is ridiculous to have to deal with when you're in the middle of lubricating a tractor or other machine and already have hands full of grease. Some hundred-year-old designs such as lever action firearms are wonderful and continue to work near perfectly, but grease guns seem stuck on an inefficient and terrible design. It is time someone invented a reliable update to the design...! You shouldn't have to bleed them out like brakes.

I'm going to place grease guns as second only to dry cell batteries and all their leaking acid as inventions that I think basically suck....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Zerk fittings and a grease groove inside my Dillons are one mod I'd like to make. The secret (IMO) to grease guns is to release pressure when you're done using it... Not so much that that you create a suction, but just relieve the pressure. Keeps the nozzle from leaking, and easily pumped back up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I guess I got lucky -- I have the little needle-nosed grease gun you grease chainsaw bar tips with hanging near my Hornady and just use that to give her a sploosh every now and then. No way to hang that baby, though you do get a little grease outside if you don't hit the zerk just right.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:...The secret (IMO) to grease guns is to release pressure when you're done using it...
:!: Oh. OK - That makes sense - thanks.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've had the same two grease guns since the late 1960's and still working like new. One is the full size type with fixed angle tube. The other is the mini that allows one hand use and fits into tight quarters. I don't use the mini often as it costs more for refills.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I got a version of one of these a bunch of years ago from my MAC man. https://www.zerkzapper.com/ Working on construction equipment you find many clogged zerk fittings and with the residual pressure on the grease gun fitting, the couplers are hard to remove. I've tried to use grease guns with a "lockable" fitting/coupler, but, in my experience, found them lacking (most wouldn't hold the fitting tight enough to stop grease from oozing out around the coupler...).
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Gentlemen,

Either it is a really slow news day or, let's face it, life is darned good. I've never bothered to think about zerk fitting issues. Just wipe up the excess with a rag and move on.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

jeepnik wrote:Gentlemen,

Either it is a really slow news day or, let's face it, life is darned good. I've never bothered to think about zerk fitting issues. Just wipe up the excess with a rag and move on.
+ 1 ^^^^^^^
I have pumped hundreds of pounds of grease through every kind of grease gun made. That is the way they are so I have learned to live with it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Gentlemen,

+ 1 ^^^^^^^
I have never pumped hundreds of pounds of grease through every kind of grease gun made. That is the way they are so I have learned to live with it.
Besides, if you put too much pressure on things the grease will find a way out and ruin what ever seal it blows through.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

When there is enough back pressure that the grease gun fitting is dificult to remove from the fitting.
1- either the fitting itself is clogged with dirt/rust ....or
2 the part you are trying to greas is seized or has an extreme load preventing the grease from flowing through relieving the pressure.

To purge air from the grease gun, simply loosen the barrel a couple turns and pump the handle a few strokes and when grease is pumped re tighten the barrel.
When changing the cartridge,leave the barrel loose a couple turns,release the spring loaded piston,pump a few strokes untill grease comes out and re tighten the barrel.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've never had a grease gun stuck on anything that pulling the trigger and letting loose a few .45s wouldn't clear... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Ironsights wrote:I've never had a grease gun stuck on anything that pulling the trigger and letting loose a few .45s wouldn't clear... :twisted:
I believe we're discussing a different grease gun... at least I hope we are!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

mikld wrote:I got a version of one of these a bunch of years ago from my MAC man. https://www.zerkzapper.com/ Working on construction equipment you find many clogged zerk fittings and with the residual pressure on the grease gun fitting, the couplers are hard to remove. I've tried to use grease guns with a "lockable" fitting/coupler, but, in my experience, found them lacking (most wouldn't hold the fitting tight enough to stop grease from oozing out around the coupler...).

Seems to me the solvent would dilute the grease where you need it.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:I've never had a grease gun stuck on anything that pulling the trigger and letting loose a few .45s wouldn't clear... :twisted:
I believe we're discussing a different grease gun... at least I hope we are!!!
Well, the M3 was the only kind of Grease Gun my petroleum sensitivity could deal with until I started using Lithium grease.

GAA made my face swell up and airway swell closed...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never got a chance at one of those. Did play with a Thompson a couple of times. Couldn't afford to feed one of my own. Besides, Uncle's did things most civilian models won't.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jeepnik wrote:
Never got a chance at one of those. Did play with a Thompson a couple of times. Couldn't afford to feed one of my own. Besides, Uncle's did things most civilian models won't.
When I was still in, they were the issue weapons for our M88 recovery vehicle crews. Most were nearly smoothbore by the late 80s/early 90s, but they still worked. Always shot them in conjunction with 1911 range time.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!