Lead pot problem!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Lead pot problem!

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok guys it's been quite a few years since I have used my Lee pot. Lift the handle & lead flows out. Easy and simple- NOT!
For some reason the rod that stops the flow is not stopping the flow. What are my options?
Take the pot apart, polish the rod? Does the orafice on the bottom come out? Replace the parts? Or should I get a new pot?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Montana Outfitters
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Lead pot problem!

Post by Montana Outfitters »

you got stuff in the hole not allowing the rod to fully close blocking the flow of lead.....Running the pot low is one of the primary causes of this, half a pot of fluxed lead keeping impurities out of the pot should resolve the issue...................heat the pot up..........pull the rod..........poke out any stuff plugging the hole..............put back together..........heat up pot.........drain.....while still hot clean the walls and bottom with a small wire brush..............blow or wipe it out and you should be as new/ready to go.......................they put a small counterweight on the lift arm assembly you might want to check and see if it is still there...........................
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The old style pots were leakers. The newer ones have been redesigned and work much better.
Drain it and remove and clean the nozzle and stopper rod. The screwdriver slot in the end of the stopper rod (old style) is to allow you to help seat the rod by turning it back and forth . I had a couple of those and kept an ingot mold onder the spout to catch the drips. The newer Mag.20 pots are better and sell for about $50.
I ended up placing a small ball bearing in the spout of my old pot and removing thestopper rod. I then used it with a dipper. Dipper casting is slower for me but I end up with better bullets.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes I have the old style. Counter weight is there. I also looked at the Lee sight for FAQ's and found exactly what you said. I'm going to let it cool, pull the rod and put some lapping compound on it, as per Lee suggests and try again.
Thanks guys you reinforced what I suspected was the issue!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've done a couple things to rid my Lee pot of dripping. First, I make sure the ingots I put in it are clean, no grit, dirt, or anything that would get into the needle valve. One time when I was cleaning the pot I took the needle out and polished the entire length, including the tip. Then I dabbed a bit of lapping compound and lapped/seated the needle in the seat. I also made sure all the "linkage" was clean free moving and tight. No more drips...

Don't know "new" from "old" style but I have the Pro 4 not the Production IV pot...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I just took it apart, chucked the rod in the lathe and polished it with 400 grit paper. Then lapping compound on it and tried to get it cleaned up. No dice, still pours out no matter how I turn the rod. I noticed the tip of the rod has a dent in it, I guess that is the culprit.
I also noticed something is rattling around inside, I guess the insulation between the walls has failed. Time to start shopping!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Gotta love Amazon!
I typed in Lee lead pot and they have all kinds of pots!
Got a new production pot IV on the way for 65 bucks. Should be here Monday.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Again, Amazon rules! I ordered yesterday, it's out for delivery today if it's not in the mailbox already!

With more snow forecasted for Tuesday/Wednesday I'll have to break it in between plowing.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Frankly, I don't think Lee has improved a dern thing. I've lived with one pot for a very long time. A Lyman Mag20, when it finally died last year I borrowed a Lee from a fellow cowboy action shooter while I decided what I wanted to replace the Lyman with. I mostly cast alloyed bullets, but do occasionally cast RBs for my muzzleloader and C&B pistols. I decided on the new Lyman Mag25 with it's built in PID controller for my production pot. But, for the lesser production need for pure lead, I didn't want to spend so much. I'd gotten a PID controller in exchange for my defective Lyman from a guy in FL that rebuilds them. And ended up getting a Lee ProIV pot. So, brand new pot, had a bunch of pure lead that I melted into it, set up the probe for the PID and got it set to keep my melt at 700ºF. Fluxed the meld and got a little dross off the top, figured I had nice clean lead in the pot.

So, I got my .526 RB mold out and started to cast up a bunch of balls. Didn't even get the mold warm before the spout plugged up! Turned it off and let it cool. The next morning, off comes the base and drilled out the spout. Turned it back on and let it heat up again. Had the mold warming on the pot as it heated up... and tried to cast RBs a 2nd time. Pot was dripping, par for the course on a Lee. Cast about 5 balls, and the spout plugged up again. The mold still wasn't quite up to temp, as all the balls were wrinkled and put back in the melt. So... turned it off and let it cool. Meanwhile, I cast a bunch of boolits with the Lyman, no issues... a very good piece of equipment. More than satisfied.

A couple of hours of casting later, I took a break and removed the base for the 2nd time, drilled out the spout, and put the base back on... this time without the mold shelf, set my pot I use for melting wheel weights in under the spout and turned the unit back on. This time, I simply removed the flow control rod when the melt was up to temp and drained the whole thing. Spent quite a bit of time cleaning the rod and its seat in the Lee. Fluxed the melt on my hot plate, then reassembled the Lee and filled it again. Finally started casting with fairly good flow control and got some good RBs cast. While this was certainly far less expensive than getting a second Lyman, it was really frustrating. If I was a brand new caster, I probably would've just shipped it back and said "never again!"

As it is, I can't and won't recommend a Lee pot to anyone. I've read several poor reviews of the Lyman Mag25, but can't verify them with my experience. The RCBS equipment I have, has ALWAYS been more than satisfying, and it certainly gets good reviews everywhere, but... in the conditions where I cast, I felt that the slightly lower cost of the Lyman (given my earlier excellent service life from the Mag20), with the PID controller would allow me to maintain better temp control of my melt. Plus, the RCBS operates from the opposite side than either the Lee or the Lyman... the handle of these being used by the right hand, whereas the RCBS has the handle on the left.

Were I to do this again, I'd buy TWO Lymans! But, I wish you good luck with your Lee. If I were you, I wouldn't expect it to NOT leak, tho'!.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I don't cast very much so I really didn't want to spend an arm & a leg. My old lee has to be about 30 years old. Probably hasn't been used in 20! The old one was always a dripper, I expected it to drip with it holding molten lead and gravity. Worst part of it was I loaned it out and it came back EMPTY. It has sat so long that it got rusty. Figured it would take some fussing but I didn't expect it to pour with the rod in place.

I'll give it a try, if it works fine if not then it'll go back and I'll take your advice on a Lyman.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote:Yes I have the old style. Counter weight is there. I also looked at the Lee sight for FAQ's and found exactly what you said. I'm going to let it cool, pull the rod and put some lapping compound on it, as per Lee suggests and try again.
Thanks guys you reinforced what I suspected was the issue!
Better pull the rod while it's hot, or you wont get the rod or the lead out! I use valve lapping compound on the end of the rod and put my battery drive drill on the rod. Then hold it at the correct angle and spin it. Once it's polished up well I clean it with brake cleaner, and let it dry. Refill with lead and it's usually good for a long time.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have an older Lee bottom pour with the operating handle with counter weight on it. I keep a piece of wire shaped like a 7 with a little loop on the long leg to act as a handle. When the pot won't stop I clean it out by poking the short leg up into the molten lead thru the bottom of the pour spout. Seems to work for me.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I just fired up the old pot again, bought a 500 count of .338-201 years ago that were actually .323, decided to melt them down, get the gas checks off them and pour into usable size pieces. Pot still leaks but not as bad but towards the end of the pot it started to leak worse, then out the side of the spout! Looks like it's time to fire up the new one!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The element burned out of my Lyman 20# pot for the second time about a year ago. This happened twice in about 30 years. The first time Lyman repaired it for free. The second time I sent it in and they called with an estimate of $200+ to repair it. I told them to scrap it and ordered two Lee pro20's.
My first electric pot was a Lee and 40+ years later I am again casting over a Lee pot. I am not complaining, Lee makes a serviceable product for a fair price. Are there better pots? You bet , but they get the job done for me.

My neighbor used to haul hay in his '57' Chevrolet convertible. EACH TO HIS OWN ! :D