New addition !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

New addition !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Made a deal this morning for a circa 1896 Parker GH 12 gauge 32" Damascus barreled double that's in need of some work ! All is there and shootable just it needs some cosmetic touch ups before I'll be suited . Someone sanded the checkering off so my friend that does stock work can fix that . And someone in their infinite wisdom decided to change the comb to make it higher in a more modern dimension . I'll have to address that and since the stocks been cobbled a recoil pad isn't gonna hurt anything . With 32" M&F this ust might make me a pretty fair Sporting Clays gun for the few times I go anymore . Also oughtta be okay for a little trap from time to time .

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New addition !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Somebody did a bubba checkering job on the triggers I'll bide my time and eventually find a set of replacement triggers :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Now the biggest rub in this deal is the fact that I'm leaving Thursday and won't be home for a month . So I won't have the old gun in my hand until April 10th :(

This guns a #2 frame , I have a circa 1891 GH 12 gauge with 28" barrels already on a #1 frame . It's got the fishtail top lever , a special order skeleton buttplate and an after market wrist repair .

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

6pt, that's a real nice Parker, such a shame whoever had it in the past cut the stock! Hope to see pics after you get it straightened out!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote:6pt, that's a real nice Parker, such a shame whoever had it in the past cut the stock! Hope to see pics after you get it straightened out!
They wanted to chage the drop . It was orignally according to Parker records about 2 1/4" at the comb and about 3 1/4" at the heel . Now I think it's supposed to be about 2" at the comb and 2 1/4" at the heel . I'm probbaly just going to sand it , fill in the cracks get my stock maker buddy to checker at , install a KickEez and let it go . This thing is far from being a collector gun . I also have one dent in the barrel I need to see if I can't get out somewhat .
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

I trust you are familiar with the limitations of shooting Damascus barrels.
Merle from PA
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very classy.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Though I never made one, I do have drawings for shotgun barrel dent remover. It requires a lathe / mill to make but if you would like a copy, PM me an address and I'll send you a copy.
Regardless of the fact it's far from a collector gun it's still a Parker! I suppose wood could be found if ya tried hard enough. I restocked a GH20 years ago that had fallen down a flight of stairs. My semi inlet guy has since passed away, that was the last piece of wood I got from him. He was a great instructor, good friend and always had a good joke or two at the ready!

Someday I'll run across a beat up Smith or Parker and buy it as a project gun, or so I keep telling myself!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote:Though I never made one, I do have drawings for shotgun barrel dent remover. It requires a lathe / mill to make but if you would like a copy, PM me an address and I'll send you a copy.
Regardless of the fact it's far from a collector gun it's still a Parker! I suppose wood could be found if ya tried hard enough. I restocked a GH20 years ago that had fallen down a flight of stairs. My semi inlet guy has since passed away, that was the last piece of wood I got from him. He was a great instructor, good friend and always had a good joke or two at the ready!

Someday I'll run across a beat up Smith or Parker and buy it as a project gun, or so I keep telling myself!
My friend that does stock work has in his possession a dent puller that belongs to another mutual friend . He's come to my aid two or three times before . He took out an ever so slight dent in my Damascus barreled Parker EH #2 frame 10 gauge . He got one dent out of the 1891 Damascus barreled Parker GH 12 that's pictured above . And if I'm not mistaken he got a dent out of my Parker VH #2 frame 12 gauge .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Merle wrote:I trust you are familiar with the limitations of shooting Damascus barrels.
I must have an inkling of an idea since I've been shooting Damascus guns for well over thirty five years and I'm still here to talk about it .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:Very classy.... 8)
Thanks ! A set of the Briley short 20 , 28 and 410 tubes might be a nice addition for this gun . Being choked M&F it oughtta be ok for trap and Sporting Clays and with the tubes it would make me a one gun ensemble for all the shotgun sports even live box birds for that matter !!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

6pt-sika wrote:
Merle wrote:I trust you are familiar with the limitations of shooting Damascus barrels.
I must have an inkling of an idea since I've been shooting Damascus guns for well over thirty five years and I'm still here to talk about it .

Didn't intend to insult, but I have no idea of your skill level. I'd rather you get irritated at me than to find out you lost some fingers.
Merle from PA
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Merle wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

Didn't intend to insult, but I have no idea of your skill level. I'd rather you get irritated at me than to find out you lost some fingers.
Wasn't insulted in the least ! Not a problem .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! 8)
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I had a smith take a dent out of the left barrel on my Parker 10 ga., so cheap I would not have even considered trying to make a dent remover and I'm not sure I would have driven very far to borrow one either.

As far as Damascus barrels go I worked for a guy 36 years ago that had shot a Parker 12 with smokeless so much that one barrel was worn so thin I swear you had to be careful not to cut your finger on it (well not quite that bad but nearly). I expect he is still shooting it, I'll have to ask him next time I see him.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hawkeye2 wrote:As far as Damascus barrels go I worked for a guy 36 years ago that had shot a Parker 12 with smokeless so much that one barrel was worn so thin I swear you had to be careful not to cut your finger on it (well not quite that bad but nearly). I expect he is still shooting it, I'll have to ask him next time I see him.
At the moment I have no less then eight Damascus barreled Parkers three W&C Scotts a Lefever and an LC Smith and to date Ive not had an issue . Now with that being said I load shells with a bit less pressure then factory to be on the safe side . Some folks load one for Damascus and something else for fluid steel guns which isn't a bad idea . But I decided to be a bit safer I'd shoot my less pressure loads in both fluid steel and Damascus guns that way I need not worry about bringing the wrong shells .
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I know Bubbas can do some strange things but why would anyone checker triggers?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote:I know Bubbas can do some strange things but why would anyone checker triggers?
Maybe to make it easier to feel I dunno Lol's !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Same guy that put such deep cuts on the Ruger Super Blackhawk triggers! First thing I did with the SBH Ws to polish that trigger face!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote:Same guy that put such deep cuts on the Ruger Super Blackhawk triggers! First thing I did with the SBH Ws to polish that trigger face!
These look deep enough that they maybe can't be polished out . I may see if my gunsmith buddy thinks he can do a little fill welding on them then I'll do the filing myself . The older I get the more often I'm finding the only way I'm satisfied is if I do it myself . Well that is for the things I have the ability to do .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I might let him try polishing them though on looking again it may not be as deep as I originally thought .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Kinda sucks I'm flying out tomorrow for a month and the guns scheduled to arrive Friday .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well the 32" GH 12 gauge arrived at the shop yesterday so the UPS tracking said . And since I'm in the Philippines I've not seen it .

Might have a deal going for a used and slightly abused Parker NH 10 gauge circa 1890 . I'm waiting on the seller to email me and let me know if he's okay letting me send him a check when I get back stateside in early April .
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

6pt, I thought of you when I picked this one up fairly recently....when it came in it was even nicer than the auction described it....they called it a 12 ga Baker, and it is a Baker, but in 10 ga.

I suspect the wood has been refinished but a fairly expert friend and collector says the metal is all original.....bores are perfect and the barrels are really thick at the breech.. barrels are 30" and choked extra-full and extra-full. it is for the 2 7/8" 10 ga shell, though the actual chamber length as approx. 3"

should make a nice waterfowl gun with the bismuth shells I have !

I think I was the only bidder, and at 500$ I believe I did well.
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nice !

I've not gotten a Baker so far .

I had thoughts once upon a time of trying to get my hands on a decent hammerless Parker 8 gauge but have since rethought that and now have my eyes open for a Parker 28 gauge . They are about the same price but I wouldn't need to spend a small fortune for loading tools for the 28 since I already have three 28 gauge presses .
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

28 gauge Parker -- that would make a nice retirement fund when you got old enough to let it go !

I almost got a mint fancy grade parker 8 gauge back in 1988.....remember when the stock market crashed ? famous collector passed on and his estate came up during that 6 month down turn...I didn't bid and was made at myself when that mint condition high grade 8 gauge went for under 4000$ including the auction premium ! still sick about that one.

I have a really nice 12 gauge GHE and also a mechanically perfect and all original 12 ga DHE with the skeleton butt plate and nice wood....well used but not abused. it has original 26" steel barrels, on the 1 1/2 size frame choked cylinder and full......musta been somebodies bird gun for sure. I keep it in Montana where it is often my first choice bird gun now.
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

hfcable wrote:28 gauge Parker -- that would make a nice retirement fund when you got old enough to let it go !

I almost got a mint fancy grade parker 8 gauge back in 1988.....remember when the stock market crashed ? famous collector passed on and his estate came up during that 6 month down turn...I didn't bid and was made at myself when that mint condition high grade 8 gauge went for under 4000$ including the auction premium ! still sick about that one.

I have a really nice 12 gauge GHE and also a mechanically perfect and all original 12 ga DHE with the skeleton butt plate and nice wood....well used but not abused. it has original 26" steel barrels, on the 1 1/2 size frame choked cylinder and full......musta been somebodies bird gun for sure. I keep it in Montana where it is often my first choice bird gun now.
Of my accumulation of Parkers the highest grade I have is EH/GH/Grade 2 . think I have two EH , 3 GH and a pair of Grade 2 hammers .

I have a friend that has a superb GHE 20 gauge that's about 98% . He want even talk about selling LOL's !

If I ever get a 28 a VH or VHE will be fine .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just struck a deal on an 1890 Parker NH #3 frame 10 gauge 32" twist steel whilst abroad the sellers willing to wait for my return to receive payment . Guns a bit roughish but still usable I'd say .

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

really nice and that'll be a great shooter I bet.
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

hfcable wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am really nice and that'll be a great shooter I bet.
I suspect it'll be fine as long as i do my part . Stock dimensions are pretty much the same as my EH #3 frame and EH #2 frame 10 gauge guns and i usually shoot them fairly well at skeet trap or live birds . i still want an EH 10 with factory original 24 , 26 or 28 inch barrels . "Generally" the short barreled 10's were more open in the chokes and that would be great for both skeet and BUCKSHOT 👍
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hfcable i was thinking about you saying you could have gotten a nice higher grade 8 for 4 G's and it just struck me , i paid more then that for my little VHE 20 about two years ago . But i will say the little 20 is probabely the nicest Parker i own other then possibly my EH 2 frame 10 .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

That's really nice even if it does have some rough spots. I really enjoy seeing the old times workmanship. :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

A year or so ago I was able to get a set of Parker PH twist steel 12 gauge 32" barrels and forend for a #3 frame gun and I had them fitted to my #3 frame EH 10 gauge . This post started because I acquired a Parker GH #2 frame 12 gauge with 32" barrels . No it seems I may have lucked into a circa post 1900 Parker GH 12 gauge #3 frame 32" gun . Negotiations are an ongoing thing so we will see . I'm not holding my breath on this one but one never knows . Incidently the #3 frame 12 weighs a skoosh over 9 pounds , that one oughtta make a great sproting clays/five stand gun .
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

6pt-sika wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:31 am Hfcable i was thinking about you saying you could have gotten a nice higher grade 8 for 4 G's and it just struck me , i paid more then that for my little VHE 20 about two years ago . But i will say the little 20 is probabely the nicest Parker i own other then possibly my EH 2 frame 10 .
yes, i wonder what that eight gauge would bring now ? spectacular cases colors and wood was really high grade
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

hfcable wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:25 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:31 am Hfcable i was thinking about you saying you could have gotten a nice higher grade 8 for 4 G's and it just struck me , i paid more then that for my little VHE 20 about two years ago . But i will say the little 20 is probabely the nicest Parker i own other then possibly my EH 2 frame 10 .
yes, i wonder what that eight gauge would bring now ? spectacular cases colors and wood was really high grade
I've been following them at the auction houses in recent years . There was a very nice one sold last year just about this time in a GH for if memory serves for about $9000 with buyers premium added , but this gun had a large crack in the buttstock caused by corrosion of the lead rod/weight in the stock . My stock guy and I both thought it could have been fixed relatively easily . Same gun without that crack I would assume might have brought an additional 2-3 G's . Julias has a very nice lower grade top lever hammer coming up for sale in a few days they are estimating less then 10 G's . rock Island have a pair coming up in May one a top lever hammer and the other a PH .I think they estimate the value of the 8 PH at about 10 G's . Only time will tell if they are on in their evaluations .
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

this one belonged to the president of the parker collectors association, maybe a fellow named Herzog......it was a high grade gun like at least the equivalent of a D or more likely a C or B based on the engraving etc.
cable
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

hfcable wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:26 am 6pt, I thought of you when I picked this one up fairly recently....when it came in it was even nicer than the auction described it....they called it a 12 ga Baker, and it is a Baker, but in 10 ga.

I suspect the wood has been refinished but a fairly expert friend and collector says the metal is all original.....bores are perfect and the barrels are really thick at the breech.. barrels are 30" and choked extra-full and extra-full. it is for the 2 7/8" 10 ga shell, though the actual chamber length as approx. 3"

should make a nice waterfowl gun with the bismuth shells I have !

I think I was the only bidder, and at 500$ I believe I did well.
The Baker was a forerunner of the LC Smith, I believe. Pictured below is my 1926 L.C. Smith, Specialty Grade, and you can see the linage.
Lc smith speciality grade.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

thats true although both brands also existed simultaneously. i have a specialty grade 12 myself and an ideal gauge with the 32' barrels.

i set out some years back to have an example of each of the great american side by sides -- early models from when they were still finely made

Parker, LC Smith, LeFever, Ithaca, Fox, Baker, and Winchester 21.

they are fun
cable
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

hfcable wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:32 pm thats true although both brands also existed simultaneously. i have a specialty grade 12 myself and an ideal gauge with the 32' barrels.

i set out some years back to have an example of each of the great american side by sides -- early models from when they were still finely made

Parker, LC Smith, LeFever, Ithaca, Fox, Baker, and Winchester 21.

they are fun
I love good side by sides, and they are my primary hunting shotguns. I have a couple of L.C.'s, a Parker, J.P. Sauer (probably my favorite), an English Best (Charles Lancaster), and a couple of Winchester 23's
I actually shoot my side by sides better then any other type of shotgun.
NRA Life Member, Patron
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i agree- always reach for the SXS except occasionally will use a german drilling
a side by side with rifle underneath - i have a sauer 16 x16 over a 22 LR - a superb all around little gun
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I grew up shooting SxS's my father made it known very early in life "do not bring any pumps or auto's in his house " with the possible exception of a Browning A-5 . My first SxS was and still is a WW Greener tang safety 12 gauge I bought when I was 15 in 1976 for the astronomical cost of $450 with a leg o mutton case which I also still have .

I got into O/U's when I was 24 or so . The first was a Franchi 2005 trap combo and a Browning Citori 4 barrel skeet set . Later they went for a Remington 3200 with Purbaugh tubes which eventually turned into a nice new Krieghoff K-32 28" with Kolar all gauge tubes and two additional barrels for trap .

At the moment the only O/U's I have are Browning Superposed and a WWII bring home 410 of some denomination . Had a first year K-32 up until a few months ago but someone wanted it a good bit more then I wanted to keep it .

The only O/U's I see in my future are possibly a Browning Superposed Broadway 32" , maybe a very early Superposed with double triggers and maybe a Krieghoff K-80 just because I love those German guns .

My SxS infatuation is much more diverse American , English and European . Much to the dismay of some the last SxS I'd let go is an English gun that was made in 1881 , it's a W&C Scott hammerless back action 10 gauge that my maternal grandfather acquired back around 1946 . Also the first 10 gauge gun I ever knew and a big reason for my infatuation with 10 gauge doubles I suppose .

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here's my Charles Lancaster, looking down the barrels on a dove hunt. And the other picture shows me on the left holding my J.P. Saur and my brother in law holding my Parker. He wasn't hitting very good that day with his semi-auto, so I loaded him my Parker. We were on a quail hunt, had a great time.

The Charles Lancaster was made in 1898, and barrels have been sleeved, but it looks and and shoots great. It was made in London, England. I love to dove hunt with it, because it gives me time to think about who might have originally owned it, was probably out on a morning over a hundred years ago, probably on a Pheasant Pass, waiting for the beaters to get the birds up, with the anticipation of getting some action. This would have been in the golden age of British wing shooting, before World War I, and all of the hard times to come after that.
Quail Hunt Jan 2016, 2.jpg
Dove Opener, 2015, with the Charles Lancaster.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've got an LC Smith Field Grade at home that was sent off once upon a time to Westley Richards to have the barrels sleeved . Gun shoots very nicely , but I wish it still had the original I assume Damascus barrels .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 am Same guy that put such deep cuts on the Ruger Super Blackhawk triggers! First thing I did with the SBH Ws to polish that trigger face!
We checked out the checkering on the triggers yesterday !
Ain't any polishing those out or I'll have invisible triggers .
And luckily I found a used set on Yuckbay complete assembly with the floorplate from a VH . Should have them in hand by friday or monday .