1911 PSA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

1911 PSA

Post by Grizz »

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... s_id/75562

My guess, everyone already knows this, but, just in case,

I bought one of these years ago, branded mepro american classic I think, with original 1911 *cough* sights *cough cough*. It is in fact made to original 1911A1 drawings. It feeds and discharges the original ball ammo flawlessly. It has a tight chamber and doesn't like my 220gr hard cast hand loads, which my XD Loves.

So, if anyone is casting about for a starter 1911 that's half the price of the average cheap guns, that is reliable and accurate with the ammo it is designed for, and is upgradeable with anything that fits original pattern 1911s, and is cheap enough to be an add-on, or kid's first 1911, or beater for the magnet under the seat, or something to paint with a rattle can, or a just-in-case buried-under-the-old-oak-tree rig, I can highly recommend this.

The story as I understand it is the factory that makes 'em was a parts supplier to Rock Island and over the years expanded into complete firearms. There are also a commander size model and one with a 3.1" barrel in the same price range.

One extra caveat, to make this as reliable with handloads as my XD would take some customizing of the ramp or chamber...

hope someone finds this useful and gets some of them. I'm trying to talk myself into another one, even though I have a 3.5" 9mm XD with 14 rounds in it right here . . .

blowback welcome
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1911 PSA

Post by GunnyMack »

Wholeheartedly agree- starter gun or as you say to have as a beater. But on same token some upgraded parts and could have a great sidekick!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I saw these at the great outdoors show in Harrisburg. I HAD no idea that PSA was a 1911 supplier. The ones I held had good lockup, nice hood to slide fit, and tight tolerances in most places. I was actually pretty impressed. However I NEED a 1950's Marlin 336 SC in 32 special way more than I need another 1911(have 4) so it will have to wait. For a while anyway. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Years ago I bought a RIA 1911 for around $300 +/-, don't remember. It shoots the Winchester Ranger 230JHP accurately with no jams. I can't ask anything more of a .45 commander, especially at that price. So I would not hesitate to buy a Mil/Spec .45 commander again at that price.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Actually it's a 1911A1 and looks fine except for that ugly protrusion from the mag well. For the price I may have to take a second look. You did say they were reliable and shot GI spec ball fine?
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I picked up a Metro Arms American Classic II a few years ago and have carried it almost every day since then and lost count how many rounds I've put through it, 99% of them my reloads with Lee 230gr. roundnose or Lee 230 trunce cone which is my favorite bullet. Pretty hard really to ask for a better, tight fitting and finished 1911.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

@ford...

sorry man. PSA = Public Service Announcement. I'll be less cryptic in future I hope. :)

@hawk. yes sir, with ball it has not hickupped.

@walkswith that's the gun I meant to remember. Dad always said my memory would be the second thing to go.

thanks for the input guys
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

As much as I like the Metro arms guns, there was a run of them that had real rappy recoil springs, to light and lost their strength. I started having trouble with my American Classic Commander after about 200 rounds, I put in a Wolff recoil spring and it;s been flawless for many hundreds of rounds now. I think the recoil spring was a problem with all models.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks for the info on the springs, easy upgrade and it might make the 220 TC zing right out there.

hadn't thought of that, thanks
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

$40 more gets a Genuine Rock Island though....and I really am impressed with them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote:$40 more gets a Genuine Rock Island though....and I really am impressed with them.
or a hundred rounds of ammo

but I know what you mean. it's dinero creep because there is a rediculous quantity of $ that can be lavished on 'em.

almost as bad as boats that way
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I'm a little slow some days - you bought an all-steel 1911A1 for under $400 and...? It feeds well and shoots straight and what is the problem? Sounds like a glowing recommendation to me.

The 1911 suffers from zero lack of parts availability, zero lack of gunsmiths (anyone who cannot make a 1911 run is no 'smith), and zero lack of ammunition choices.

One last thing to think about - should you ever need to use it in a shooting, it will be confiscated and tossed into a box with other guns... ask me how I know that! I'd rather lose a $400 handgun (that worked) than a four-figure piece of jewelry...
Last edited by mohavesam on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

In the 1911 world, the Metro Arms American Classic is considered a upgrade from the Rock Island which is a very nicely made gun in it's own. I remember 35 years ago I bought a old mil surplus .45. ( Remember when you could still do that cheap) Accuracy pretty much sucked, so I ordered a new barrel and bushing and barrel link. Then came the new higher sights, then new grips, then new grip and thumb safety, then the---. I don't remember what all I bought and installed on that gun but eventually sold it like a idiot and started on another, then another. Makes me feel almost sorry for these younger shooters that can just go out and buy a 1911 with all the bells and whistles. Now I wan't another plain jane goverment model just to go old school and shoot on those day's I think I might actually be able to see the sights.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Most any 1911 of the regular pattern, can be made to feed anything that will feed through the magazine. All is takes is a proper barrel feed ramp and a throat ahead of the chamber. Way to many barrels do not come this way. It is about a $40 - $50 fix.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks guys. nice to see you Charles.

I know it's work-onable, but I likes it like it is. stubborn eh?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'm convinced that a 1911 doesn't have to cost $1,000 to be a good gun. I bought an RIA 1911 about 7 years ago for less than $400.00 and I have had no problems at all. Being an "entry level" 1911 I wasn't afraid to do my "modifications" (trigger replacement, smooth up trigger, replace sights, polishing, etc.). I reload for it I have tried most all bullets I could find locally and cast up some too.I can't remember any failures to feed, no failures to fire, or failures to eject. I have a load using 200 gr. LSWC that gives me an occasional 2" group at 25+ yards and most will run to 3". This gun functions with cast bullets better than my Ruger P90 and will digest anything I've put through it, and it's more accurate than my old eyes can shoot most of the time...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

One thing to add - Auto-Ordnance makes a high-quality all-steel 1911A1 for a comparable bucks more but keep in mind they are now CNC-machined forgings made by Kahr, and they work.
They are also made in America, made by Americans. Its nice to send your US dollars to US employees.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have always been a fan of basic 1911 or 1911A1 pistols. I finally reached Nirvana when I fitted a Colt barrel and post-war USGI Colt slide (7790314) slide to a Colt 1991-A1 frame. I had to convert the frame to Series 70, but it worked out fine and is very tight and very accurate.
IMG_1306.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.