Ken Waters has passed.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Ken Waters has passed.

Post by yooper2 »

The shooting and reloading world has lost one of the best. We corresponded a bit and I cherish those letters. An immensely knowledgeable and kind man.

http://newcanaan.dailyvoice.com/obituar ... an/695697/

Eric
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Ken Waters has passed.

Post by Blaine »

:(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

He was certainly one whose influence spread far and wide in the shooting community. Prayers up for his family.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I first wrote him a letter when I was 13 and looking for a deer/bear rifle as I had finally saved up enough from my trapline to buy my own big game rifle. I outlined the conditions where I lived and mentioned I wanted to shoot cast. He not only recommended a Marlin 1895 but also put me (and my dad) in contact with a fine gentleman who had a first run 1895 with Ballard rifling for sale, this being prior to Marlin reintroducing that as a option. He also recommended I try the Gould bullet and I still hunt with both on a regular basis.

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ken was my favorite writer on the subjects of handloading and whatever he said in print, I took it as gospel. His book, "Pet Loads" could very well be my favorite book of all time, reading it at least twice weekly.....it sits next to the bed. In my opinion, no other writer possessed the knowledge he had on so many varied cartridges.

He is the reason I use so much Herco!----6
Model A Uzi’s
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Travel well Ken. Godspeed.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

When I got a new caliber I would go straight to Ken Waters Pet Loads and try some of his loads. His book is one of my favorites. RIP
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

BenT wrote:When I got a new caliber I would go straight to Ken Waters Pet Loads and try some of his loads. His book is one of my favorites. RIP
+1

Love that book!

Mainehunter
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That certainly is a loss to the shooting reloading world. I consult his Pet Loads on anything I am reloading. Also had some interesting correspondence. He told me never to let go of one 30-06 I have.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

R.I.P.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Sad news. :cry:
Merle from PA
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Wow, he was born before WW-I ended: A productive and long life. He was a lucky fellow.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

A great loss to the shooting community. Godspeed.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Pet Loads is my favourite reference book.
Sorry to hear of Ken's passing but he obviously had a very full and productive life.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

When I was in high school one of my dad's shooting buddies gave me a large box full of Handloader and Rifle back issues, along with his extra copy of Pet Loads. That was back in the pre-internet days and I poured through those issues and the book Pet Loads. Ken Waters was my favorite author and I'd always read his articles first in the magazines.

It's likely nostalgia, but new gun writers just don't grab my attention the way they did back in my early days. I suppose back at the time I was young, inexperienced, thirsty for knowledge, and soaked those articles up. Writers are probably trying to reach the less experienced and yearning for knowledge audience versus the crusty crowd who are already well read or experienced on a subject. I guess it's just being nostalgic for what I grew up on.

In recent years, I've wondered what had happened to Ken because I concluded he must have long retired from writing and he would have been quite aged. I've googled his name a couple times but couldn't find much other than references to Pet Loads.
Wow, he made it to 99. A long life and from his obit, he accomplished a lot even beyond the writing we all know him for. God Bless Ken Waters.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Funny, I was just wondering about Ken's health a couple of days ago. He was kind enough to review a sample of .38-55 bullets I was making on Corbin swaging equipment in an issue of Handloader. He sent me a Christmas card that year. As others have said, wishing you Godspeed on your journey him, sir.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun wrote:Ken was my favorite writer on the subjects of handloading and whatever he said in print, I took it as gospel. His book, "Pet Loads" could very well be my favorite book of all time, reading it at least twice weekly.....it sits next to the bed. In my opinion, no other writer possessed the knowledge he had on so many varied cartridges.

He is the reason I use so much Herco!----6
I have numerous Ken Waters books, including his 2 volume set of Pet Loads. I've also taken his load data as gospel, and never found any problems with any he said were good. He was a huge single shot rifle fan, and close friends with another good writer, Ned Roberts. He hasn't written in a long time, so already missed his writings. But I am saddened to hear he has passed. He certainly lived a long, full life!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

+ 1 on Pet Loads
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

yooper2,
Thank you for posting this. I have often wondered about Ken and if he was still alive. wow! 99! Must have been all that clean living and enjoying his firearm / reloading interest to the utmost.

I'll bet he and Ol'Frankly (Frank Marshall) are having a grand time up there! :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ken created his own order to things.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

w30wcf wrote:yooper2,
Thank you for posting this. I have often wondered about Ken and if he was still alive. wow! 99! Must have been all that clean living and enjoying his firearm / reloading interest to the utmost.

I'll bet he and Ol'Frankly (Frank Marshall) are having a grand time up there! :D

w30wcf

I would like to hear a conversation between those two! I've been rereading "Speaking Frankly" lately.

Eric
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

yooper2 wrote:I first wrote him a letter when I was 13 and looking for a deer/bear rifle as I had finally saved up enough from my trapline to buy my own big game rifle. I outlined the conditions where I lived and mentioned I wanted to shoot cast. He not only recommended a Marlin 1895 but also put me (and my dad) in contact with a fine gentleman who had a first run 1895 with Ballard rifling for sale, this being prior to Marlin reintroducing that as a option. He also recommended I try the Gould bullet and I still hunt with both on a regular basis.

Eric
Great story. My Lord, how CT. has changed and not for the better. Blessing to your friend. 1886.