Contenders !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Contenders !

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've entered the Contender/Encore scheme of things for the 5th or 6th time in my life .

Just won a 10" barreled 44 MAG with a Bushnell 2-6 on top in Leupold mounts .

Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have loads worked up with most of my 44 cal cast bullets from 207-300 grains .

These are GB auction pics not mine .

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Contenders !

Post by Merle »

Well then, since this is not your first foray I'm sure you know how slippery that slope is...... :lol:
Merle from PA
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't care for Encore's or G2 Contender's - but that 1st version Contender really rings my chimes !

I hunted with several different early Contender's over the years, and my fave was a .375 Winchester with a muzzle-tamer 14" barrel from the old T/C Custom Shop (Fox Ridge Outfitters).

When T/C first introduced that cushion grip on my .45-70 Contender Super 14 Hunter, I found that it didn't prevent the trigger stop screw boss on the back of the trigger guard from a bloody chewing up the back of the middle finger of my trigger hand. :shock: (I immediately switched it out for a Pachmayr rubber bumper)

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've fixed a couple of G1 Contenders and acquired one in .22 a little bit ago. I'd like to get a .357 barrel and maybe a 5.56 & and a 7.62x54R barrel, but that money is not in my league at the moment...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I want a 32-20 barrel someday, but have a 22 Hornet, 357 Maximum, and 223 Remington, plus a 22 LR. Tons of fun...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This isn't what I call the first version Contender . I always called the first version the ones with the kinda crossbolt firing pin selector . I had one of those for awhile with a 444 Marlin barrel that was made by a fellow in Idaho who's name escapes me at the moment . I've not loaded for a 44 MAG in about five years . But tonmorrow I'll see if I can't get 100 or so pieces of brass sized cleaned and hopefully polished . Think I'm going to start with the 434-207GC mold I got my n a Castboolits group but maybe ten years ago . I've also got a Lyman/Ideal 429434 that's a GC mold but originally made for the 44-40 . I've already used it for deer in a 444 with good results . Yes those two the Lyman 429215 and the RCBS 44-225 SWC would be four good ones to start with . Hopefully by hunting season I'll have been able to get loads done with every mold I have up to 265 grains . NOE has a group buy going for their version of the Ranch Dog 432-240GC and while I already have a couple of the original Lee RD molds for this bullet I would like to get one of the NOE HP molds for this bullet .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

In the past I've loaded the 44 MAG almost exclusively with H-110 . But at the moment I have about ten pounds of W296 so since I consider them the same thing W296 it will be !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:I want a 32-20 barrel someday, but have a 22 Hornet, 357 Maximum, and 223 Remington, plus a 22 LR. Tons of fun...!
I've done the 22LR a few times , 357 MAX twice and the 223 . Think I had three or four 7-30 Waters barrels all 12 or 14 inches . And of course the 444 barrel . In the Encore I had a Pro Hunter with 50 ML , 338 Federal and 12 gauge slug . Now I wouldn't frown on a 222 REM barrel now or possibly a 6.8 SPC barrel both 12 or 14 inch .
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I just love my Contenders, got 4 frames and 22 barrels!!
Was shooting one of the 14" 30-30 barrels yesterday as well as a 10" 30-30 one, lotsa fun!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

6pt-sika wrote:This isn't what I call the first version Contender . I always called the first version the ones with the kinda crossbolt firing pin selector . I had one of those for awhile with a 444 Marlin barrel that was made by a fellow in Idaho who's name escapes me at the moment . I've not loaded for a 44 MAG in about five years . But tonmorrow I'll see if I can't get 100 or so pieces of brass sized cleaned and hopefully polished . Think I'm going to start with the 434-207GC mold I got my n a Castboolits group but maybe ten years ago . I've also got a Lyman/Ideal 429434 that's a GC mold but originally made for the 44-40 . I've already used it for deer in a 444 with good results . Yes those two the Lyman 429215 and the RCBS 44-225 SWC would be four good ones to start with . Hopefully by hunting season I'll have been able to get loads done with every mold I have up to 265 grains . NOE has a group buy going for their version of the Ranch Dog 432-240GC and while I already have a couple of the original Lee RD molds for this bullet I would like to get one of the NOE HP molds for this bullet .

Actually the first version had a slotted hammer nose for both firing pins - you had to use a small screw driver to rotate it for center or rim fire. :wink:

Those were fitted to the earliest non easy open frames.
Merle from PA
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have a very early contender. Mine came with a factory fitted wood case and has the silver butt plate
that is for engraving your name or whatever. Mine came in .45 colt-.410 with a detachable muzzle brake or shot straightener and wrench. Somewhere along the line I picked up a .256 Winchester mag barrel and a nice scope. I have dies and plenty cases for it. I haven't played with it in ages. I suspect mine is pretty rare being first or second year with a company presentation case? I bought this used/new in about 1970 from the old Pony Express gun shop in California. Anyone have a educated guess what i should ask if I put it up for sale?

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I went thorough a Contender phase about 25 years ago, but it didn't last. I just could get the single shot pistol bug again.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Booger Bill wrote:Anyone have a educated guess what i should ask if I put it up for sale?
I'd say about $50.00........and coincidentally, I just happened to be in the market for one........ :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like Sixgun may have some info on the old ones, since he was selling some ShotCaps loads last week.

The other one here (or maybe not any more?) is Hobie. He's a big Contender fan of both pistol and carbine.

That reminds me - I have a carbine barrel in 17 Hornet I really need to shoot some....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I'm addicted. only have one frame, but have 10" octagon barrels in .357 and Hornet. 10" in 45/.410 (external choke), .22, .357. Max. 14" in .22 and .30-30. Carbine barrels in .223 and Hornet. And a 6 3/4" .44Mag. I never sell barrels, and will buy almost anything if the price is right.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a few over the years. One I really wish I hadn't sold came with a .45ACP heavy barrel. That was an incredibly accurate shooter. I've just been thinking about getting another one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've been down this path more than once as well. Don't currently own one, but I have a 12-inch barrel on order from Match Grade Machine -- in my old favorite, .30 Herrett. I have to thank the late Bob Milek for my love of this old wildcat. My first barrel, back in the late 70s, was an 8 3/4-inch octagon in .44 Magnum. It taught me very quickly about just how punishing handgun recoil could be.

:shock: :lol:
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

One in 375 JDJ would be nice.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

My G2 with 27" 45/70
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."