Browning BL-22 ...YMMV... :(

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Browning BL-22 ...YMMV... :(

Post by 1894c »

I was looking at a Browning BL-22, was thinking about buying another one (had one in the past, but sold it). I decided to take a look at a schematic (see links below) and I notice that the main inner part of the receiver is made out of aluminum. I have a friend that has a BL-22 and we checked the Browning with a magnet we found out that the inner part of the receiver is aluminum and the outer shell of the receiver is steel --when I discovered this I was disappointed, especially since the BL-22 cost big bucks (also discovered that the barrel bands are aluminum too) . I was under the misconception that the whole receiver would have been made of steel, just like a Winchester 9422 or a Marlin 39A. So I've decided that the BL-22 isn't worth the price, at least for me, so I bought a CZ 452 Trainer bolt-action instead... :)

BL-22 Schematic link: http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Bro ... id386.aspx
https://policestore.com/schematics/Brow ... id386.aspx

note: photos are not mine...but will give you and idea of what I bought
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Browning BL-22 ...YMMV... :(

Post by gamekeeper »

I never warmed to the Browning BL-22 but the CZ 452 is a fine rifle.
A lot of firearms have aluminum parts without compromising reliability, If my Winchester 9422 ever gave out I'd buy a Henry lever action .22 straight away.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Years ago I had a BL22, worst shooting 22 I ever had! No matter what ammo I tried it shot patterns not groups! Even scoped it sucked!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

BL22 was the first 22LR rifle I bought, still got it, a great little shooter!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

A while back, I worked with a BL22 Micro & a Henry Youth Model.
I honestly intended from the git-go to buy whichever one impressed me the most.
I'd shot two Brownings before & several Henrys, it was a head-to-head between those two for a compact .22 levergun.

At the end, I bought the Henry.

People make too much of a fuss over the Henry's alloys, and brag up the Browning's "steel receiver", which isn't steel.

Using the same loads off the same rest at the same targets at the same 50 yards, the Henry was infinitely slicker, shot circles around the Browning, had a better trigger, and had much better sights.

You can read about the shoot-out if you're Kindle-friendly, through Amazon.

I'd always previously thought the Brownings were nice, and they are, but once the rubber hit the road it was Henry all the way.
Besides the performance, the action's simple to get apart, and I can order parts all day long to be here in a week.
Denis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The CZs are great little rifles. I have the .22 Magnum version and I've really been pleased with it.
Those tangent sights actually work too.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I don't mind aluminum in a firearm if it's done right. My 1976 vintage Ruger 10/22 still shoots like a charm, absolutely no problems from the aluminum receiver and trigger group. I'd love a current BLR or Henry Long-Ranger rifle if I could afford it. :mrgreen:
I do love the CZ bolt action 22 though, good choice. The BL-22 is made by Miroku I believe, nice quality if you don't mind a Japanese levergun.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I have two CZ 455s & like 'em, but they ain't leverguns. :)
Denis
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have one of the browning Bl s and while it s not a bad little gun quality wise I m thinking about selling it and buying one of the browning semiauto 22s as I like the takedown feature
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I've owned/own several 452's. Still have my first one, a Trainer. Actually it's my first .22.

Put a new shim and spring in and you'll have an AWESOME rifle. http://www.yodaveproducts.com/
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

THANK YOU for your replies. I presently own a Henry .22 Carbine levergun--I also have a lot of respect for the Ruger 10/22. Both rifles are good value for the $$$ and you know up front that both rifles (including the Marlin 60 and the AR-15) have aluminum and plastic parts, but I was shocked that the Browning BL-22 also had aluminum parts. As I mentioned, when you consider the price of the BL-22 I expected a solid steel reciever--in the end I just don't see the value, just me... :O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Just my opinion, so don't make too much of it, but...

Although I haven't owned a modern Browning rifle, I have had pretty extensive experience with the BL-22, the A-Bolt and the X-Bolt. My opinion is that although they are among the prettiest rifles out there, with their fancy wood and high-polish blue, and they seem to be at least acceptably accurate, the designs are like many other modern guns -- meant for easy and inexpensive manufacture, not durability, and overall pretty flimsy. Yes, most other makers have gone the same route for the same reasons, but many seem to me to have reached the goal without quite so many compromises to long service life. I like a pretty gun as much as the next guy, but I choose to spend my money on something a bit more likely to give me long service even if it wins no beauty contests.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I bought a Henry for my son-in-law and shot it along with a BL-22 that I had.

The Henry sights were coarser and I shot nickel sized groups with it and shot dime sized groups with the BL-22 at the same distance with the open sights.

I thought about selling it after I picked up a 9422, until I let a a new shooter use it and was able to consistently hit 22 casings at 20 yards with it using a Weaver V22 scope. It is a tack driver.

The Henry is a fine rifle and is a great choice if you want a traditional lever action, but I wouldn't trade my BL22 for a Henry. :D
YMMV
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

That was one problem with the Browning- the sights were too small & I really had to work at lining them up.
The Henry's sights were dead easy.
Denis
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A few years ago my grandson bought the standard Henry, I think it is the H001. Anyway the front sight would block small target out past 50 yards. TedH had the same rifle and fixed it. He sent me the parts numbers from Midway for a Marble's .016 gold bead sight. Cut the plastic sight post off and cut a dove tail in the plastic sight base, put in the new sight . That little levergun will now hit any thing he shoots at. That Henry is as smooth as my 100 year old 1892 Winchester 32wcf.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Given the choice between a Browning BL-22 and a Henry .22 levergun, I'd take a 9422 every time..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Buck Elliott wrote:Given the choice between a Browning BL-22 and a Henry .22 levergun, I'd take a 9422 every time..
I completely agree, but unfortunately the prices for a Winchester 9422 is above my pay-grade, but I am tempted... :)
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Buck Elliott wrote:Given the choice between a Browning BL-22 and a Henry .22 levergun, I'd take a 9422 every time..
Yes, me too, BUT for some reason my 9422 will not cycle 22Shorts, my BL22 does OK.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My 9422 is chambered for .22 WMR, and will also handle .22 WRF..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
rond
Levergunner

Post by rond »

I have a BL22 from the 70s and a new Henry, the BL22 wins for me.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Maybe Winchester will have Miroku make the 9422. I'm sorta surprised they have not done so yet.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The BL-22 is my favorite of the 22LR lever guns. The Henry would be my very last pick. I've never been impressed with Henry quality.