Bean boots

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Bean boots

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I just got my LL Bean boots back today. Brand new bottoms and insoles for $41 + change delivered. I bought the boots back prior to 1985 and wore the tread off to the point they were dangerous on wet surfaces. The closest boot to the ones have are $179 today though they are lined (which I don't want). I guess I'm set for another 30 years. Fantastic service and everyone I dealt with was very nice and extremely helpful.

I remember going in the original store in the early 50's with my father. He bought a pair of hunting boots there which was a big investment as we didn't have much for disposable income back then. He wore them hunting till they needed new bottoms in the early 60's and so he sent them back. They put the wrong size on them so back they went. This time they had chewed up the leather where it was stitched to the bottoms enough that he wasn't satisfied so back they went again. They sent him a brand new pair free. BTW he was a great hunter, got his deer every year with the '86 in .33 and rarely wasted a second round (they were too hard to come by back then).
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bean boots

Post by 6pt-sika »

I wore Maine Hunting Shoes for a number of years as well !

I always got the unlined version , but even here in central Virginia my feet would get cold ! I still have two pair that I wear occasionally . But my hunting boots anymore are Rocky , Lacrosse or Redhead all rubber with 800-1400 grams of Thinsulate .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The pair I have are on their third rebuild since 91. They are a three season, everyday affair. They are good bird hunting, deer hunting if you keep moving (way too cold for sitting), or just daily wear this time of year. Their greatest advantage are the bottoms are thin so you can feel what your stepping on. This makes for very quiet walking.
The best boots for deer hunting they quit making years ago. It was called the Cold Weather Boot. It was just a little bigger but had a removable felt bootie. They were still lightweight and thin-bottomed but much warmer.
I still have a pair but wish they still made them.
I guess the yuppies didn't wear those.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I could not stand the break in with a bean boot, always rubbed my ankles raw. Got a pair of Schnees about 20 years ago and never looked back. Removable liners, rebuild- able, for me a much better boot.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I just bought a new pair a few years back. I find them perfect for early season until December. For stand hunting I wear a light pair of wool socks with a heavy pair over them and even with poor food circulation I'm ok. I really like the fact that they are made in the USA!!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

OldWin wrote:
The best boots for deer hunting they quit making years ago.
It was called the Cold Weather Boot.
It was just a little bigger but had a removable felt bootie. They were still lightweight and thin-bottomed but much warmer.
I still have a pair but wish they still made them.

I didn't know about the Cold Weather Boot, back when I bought mine - but since I tend to sit a lot, I knew what I wanted.

So, I got a pair of felt booties, put them on over, with Scandinavian ragg wool hiking socks (the warmest un-heated socks I could find), and tried larger boot sizes (larger than I normally take) until I got a good fit .

Win-win.......... 8)