Argh! (update)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Argh! (update)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, THAT didn't work out as planned! :evil:

For Christmas Mrs. YK got me one of the Kirst Konverters. As many here probably know, Kirst makes conversion cylinders for black powder cap & ball revolvers. As does Howell's. I have many of the latter. This was my first Kirst.

I'd read great things about the Kirst conversion cylinders. This one is a "kit" to convert Uberti-made reproductions of Colt's various "pocket models" to be able to shoot .22-caliber rimfire rounds. It is a "kit" because it comes with the usual 2-piece cylinder (actually, a cylinder and an adapter ring), plus a barrel insert and a barrel bushing. The former is used in the .31-caliber copies of Colt's 1848 & 1849 Pocket models. The bushing is used to allow the conversion kit to be used in Colt's .36 caliber 1862 Pocket Police and Pocket Navy models. Since I have five (5) of these types of C&B revolvers (one 1849, three Pocket Police models and one Pocket Navy), I thought it would be a good and fun investment.

Until I tried it.

My 1849 is now locked up tighter than a drum. I am going to have to completely disassemble it to find out what the heck happened. Hopefully it is an easy fix. I reinstalled the kit on one of my Pocket Police models (the one I purchased from Old No7 here). It functioned, but needs some work.

I hate it when a plan doesn't come together! :roll:

Anyone else have any experience with these?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Argh!

Post by Blaine »

Arrrgh, indeed. :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:...from Old No7 here. It functioned, but needs some work...
That's because that comment fits me too! :wink:

Good luck with it Jay.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nope, cannot offer any guidance. While I have a few C&Bs, none with conversion!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If it were an electronic gadget, I'd offer the same advice I gave for repairing the GPS on another thread...

...but I'm much more patient with a gen-u-ine machine, especially a gun.

Mechanical things usually seem fixable, especially if there is any underlying quality in the design. Electronic things not so much. 'Electrical' things (without expensive proprietary chips or flimsy parts) are not so bad.

Good Luck.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I bought the Kirst conversion kit for a Pietta 1860 Army. Mine has the backing plate with the loading gate and an ejector rod. Makes it a 45 Colt 5 shooter. Went together no problem except the destructions said to make the recoil shield cut with a dremel tool and take all afternoon. I took mine to the mill and only took about ten minutes. Shoots fine but needs better sights on it. I think I'll cut the barrel off to about 5" and dovetail a front sight into it and maybe soft solder a small fixed sight into the hammer cut on top. I've seen old conversions done that way.

It's actually cheaper to just buy a conversion from Cimmaron and save all that work.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

You might consider dovetailing a simple rear sight into the barrel just enough forward of the forcing cone so as to not get into trouble.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Argh! (update)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Last weekend I diagnosed the problem with the Uberti 1849 reproduction. I completely disassembled it. When I removed the hammer, I discovered a burr had developed on the hammer face that effectively locked up the hammer, preventing it from being pulled back. I little judicious work with a hand file and then an application of cold blue and it was back in business! :D

Now I just need to figure out how the heck it happened... :?:
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Holly banana's that sounded real interesting until I saw the price...
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

David wrote:Holly banana's that sounded real interesting until I saw the price...
My only justification was that I had several firearms it would work with! :D
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Sorry didn't mean to present it in a unfavorable light it was just more then I expected.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

David wrote:Sorry didn't mean to present it in a unfavorable light it was just more then I expected.
I would have thought exactly the same if not for this subset of my "sorority"... (ask Old No 7) :wink: