I guess harvesting game is a shameful thing now....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I guess harvesting game is a shameful thing now....

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I guess harvesting game is a shameful thing now....

Post by Blaine »

Ohio used to celebrate the opening day as a holiday, and probably still is.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

People need to start suing both the school board and the teachers who allow things like this. They also need to follow it thru until the money is in the bank. These teachers are there to teach the 3 Rs not impose their warped values on our children.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well said Rusty, but they should be sued for their position not money. Get em fired for NOT doing their job of the 3 R's!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Dad needs to get his man on and go whup that teacher's azz.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

BlaineG wrote:Ohio used to celebrate the opening day as a holiday, and probably still is.

It still is in some parts of the state. Doesn't surprise me where this took place, that area has been over run with bunny huggers and uber liberals with more money than sense.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

My daughter teaches in Fort Worth now, Her 9 year old GIRLS come in and tell about their weekend at the ranch where they are the retrieve and cripple killers for the guys during Dove season.

Guess it's still ok in Texas. 8)
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

My son is the Music Director for a HS in middle Mn.
He hunts and fishes year round! He and other teachers fish together, go to northern Wi. staying at a cabin of one of the teachers.
His girlfriend is the vocal director at a HS the next district over. She fishes with him and our grandson.
She completed hunter education this past summer, so she could go hunting with them.
They grouse hunted, and went back to his old district in western Mn. to pheasant hunt.
The grandson loves fishing, and is on his way to hunting education so he can get his hunting license, and carry a shotgun next year and try his hand at grouse and pheasants.
When they visit down here we go the range and we are introducing him to handguns! Can't remember if Iowa passed a new law allowing kids to be legal with a firearm accompanied by a parent or adult. But you see plenty of it at the range!
Plenty of youngsters in the schools in Mn. hunt and fish with their families!
Of course kids in the big cities may participate with their families going up north or elsewhere, fishing and hunting.
Lots of kids in Iowa hunt with their families, and you see young kids out with grandpa or even grandma on farm ponds around this area.

As previously stated teachers should be called out for imposing their warped views on kids that participate in hunting and fishing activities on their time!!! Stick to teaching the subject matter, reading, writing, arithmetic, factual history, factual social studies etc. and keep their warped personal morals to themselves! If they can't maybe the janitor needs help?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The REAL 'divide' in this country isn't between blacks and whites, men and women, Republicans and Democrats, or even Christians and athiests.

It is between 'rural' and 'urban' more than perhaps anything else.

Generally the rural people are more comfortable being 'on their own', whether to provide food for the family, put out a barn-fire, build a house, or whatever. The urban people are more comfortable having someone else do those things for them, and that isn't necessarily wrong, IF we have a government that is a Constitutional Republic, and allows Free-Market Capitalism free reign, but once the government starts being in the business of providing food, housing, education, and health-care, or 'picking winners' based on ethnicity, religion (or lack of), age, gender, or whatever other cosmetic difference they can leverage for political purposes, the conflict between "producer" and "consumer" grows, and most generally, the rural families are 'producers' of some sort, and if you set aside factory workers and so on, many urban citizens' careers are either some sort of pencil-pushing make-work type job essentially created by government regulators, or worse, simply breathing and making welfare-babies.

I don't know how you guys who live in urban areas can maintain sanity, given the mindset so often seen there. Even small towns have it, if there is a college, and consequently are enough 'academics' there who pontificate about the world, but don't really have to compete and engage in it.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Opening day of Buck Season is off for the kids in the mountain counties here in Pa......at least it was up till about 15 years ago.

Libs have really shown themselves in the past couple of years...to the point of being violent and demanding. Like Doc says, I have never seen people so divided and the parallels are pretty much down to rural and city people. Not all mind you...I have some good buddies who live in Philly and we have plenty of libs here where I live...that used to be very rural.

Yes, the teacher should be reprimanded and put in her place.

I was surprised the authorities are putting a deserving hurtin' on those four black kids in Chicago. Funny thing, never heard a peep out of al sharpton or Jesse on that issue.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

There are plenty of urban people who are rural minded. Unfortunately, the opposite is becoming more common also. When I was general contracting and doing alternative energy design and install (I live in an off the grid area at 9000 ft in the CO Rockies), a lady from CA bought property near me and hired me to do her solar system. I met with her on site one morning after doing some shooting at my own long established range. She began commenting about hearing gunfire and moved on to propose an ordinance by a non existent HOA. At that point I explained to her that it was me shooting and that it's a regular past time of myself and many other locals, and if any of that was even attempted I would start shooting from 8am to 5pm every day till she moved. I didn't get the installation contract, and she left and never came back. The foundation sat for over 10 years before someone else bought it and finished the house. I recently had the cops called on me by some adjacent property owners from New Jersey who came out to inspect their land. They claimed I was shooting at them, despite the fact I was half a mile away facing the opposite direction from them shooting into my own hillside. That ended up in a bit of a tense stand off with a new kid deputy while my wife filmed and me with my lawyer on the phone recording the entire conversation in my front yard.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote:People need to start suing both the school board and the teachers who allow things like this. They also need to follow it thru until the money is in the bank. These teachers are there to teach the 3 Rs not impose their warped values on our children.
+ infinity!!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If the girl had worn a Hillary sweatshirt to school she'd be idolized by the same teacher! I doubt kids in the classroom were as upset about the shirt as the teacher likely was! She likely used that story after she knew she was in trouble for belittling and shaming the young girl.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sore Shoulder........I really like the way you responded, clear and precise with no second guessing of your intentions. :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My son had an incident some 32 years ago. On the first day of first grade, the teacher asked each student to come to the front of the class and tell the others of something they did during the summer. My son told about being able to go the range, learning all the safety rules and meeting several of his dad's friends; plus, getting to fire a gun... the story I got was she put her hands on my son to stop him from telling his story, insisting that I was the worst parent in the world and should be arrested... never allowing him to tell her it was a Sheriff's Department range... so he kicked her.

I happened to be off that day, (working nights), and got the call to come collect my son, he was being expelled. I had a short lecture from the Principal, getting the "school's" policy about violent behavior. After a brief interrogation of my son, I then had a very short discussion with said Principal. Who agreed, the teacher had overstepped her parameters for interacting with a student. We then interrupted the teacher's day for an immediate parent/teacher conference, (I'd made a point to wear a coat & tie, with both my badge and gun visible...), whereupon the teacher was informed that she was restricted to teaching the 3 R's to my son. Subjects about Morality and Social integration would be handled by two very concerned, committed adults to the raising of a well-rounded, and grounded child into a thinking and discerning adult. I loved her comment when she first saw me, "...really Mr. (Principal), I don't really think this altercation should concern law-enforcement. After all, the young boy is only 6." Her composure melted when I stated that I was there due to HER actions... It was fairly easy from that point on. My son remained in school for the balance of the day... no more talk about expulsion. But, he did get some punishment for kicking the teacher.
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote:If the girl had worn a Hillary sweatshirt to school she'd be idolized by the same teacher! I doubt kids in the classroom were as upset about the shirt as the teacher likely was! She likely used that story after she knew she was in trouble for belittling and shaming the young girl.
IF the other kids really were 'upset' by the shirt, it would have been a 'teaching moment' and the perfect opportunity to educate the other kids about hunting and the ecosystem and so on. I'm sure had other kids been upset by a Hillary sweatshirt, she would have no doubt 'educated' the Little Deplorables...!!!

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I seriously doubt this same teacher would ask her to remove a Hillary shirt if other kids complained.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Hey, I thought these teachers were supposed to be teaching how "not" to be bullies. Guess she misread the memo and thought she was supposed to show them how to bully someone.
The teachers and board members need to loose their jobs for such things.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Something needs to be done about the education system. Teachers are turning out students who know less and less and yet the teachers are demanding higher and higher pay.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

"Harvesting" itself is bending to the sanitizing of the sport of hunting. Harvesting applies to grain and vegetables, hunting and killing is for animals. I still hunt and kill and save harvesting for farmers...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well said Shrapnel!
I remember many of my teachers, both men and women asking us kids if we got a deer opening day. A good deal of us took the 1st day off from school. Never any repercussions! If the kid replied YES I GOT ONE- they were expected to tell the story. Heck even the teachers that hunted told their stories too.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Shrapnel wrote:"Harvesting" itself is bending to the sanitizing of the sport of hunting. Harvesting applies to grain and vegetables, hunting and killing is for animals. I still hunt and kill and save harvesting for farmers...
"Harvesting" has become a popular term for taking game animals in the field and has been more popular in the past when used in reference to reaping produce (crops) from the ground. Present day, many game animal herds are managed to control numbers and to enhance breeding. In those cases I'd opine that "harvesting" is proper usage when catching, taking, or removing any of that number for use.

"Hunting" is merely a process of seeking to locate. "Killing" is what happens to extinguish a life, whether it is as a concluding part of a "hunting" process or happens on a slaughterhouse floor. "Killing" can be but is not always a deliberate act.

For hunting wild, i.e. unmanaged game, "hunting" and "killing" would be accurate but not exclusive. The term could equally apply to managed game. However, I'd again opine that "harvesting" is really only accurate when applied to managed animals.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Father should immediately run for school board... send a message to the entire district.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Yeah I don't like the term "harvesting' either. I believe its an attempt to remove the word kill, shoot or hunt, out of the pastime of hunting, to sanitise it for non-hunters and make it acceptable sounding, equating hunting with farming somehow...anyway, I think tis the wrong thing to do. If you start hiding what your doing behind another name then people will start thinking you've got something to hide. I go deer hunting and when I get one, I shot it.
Not to try and tell someone else what they should do with their own words, just agreeing with shrapnel. I always notice the word when its used. It seems to be a North American thing, but then we don't have so many anti hunters where I am.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain