Custom or special order Winchester 1895?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Custom or special order Winchester 1895?

Post by Naphtali »

Some cannot use long guns having straight grips - think of shooters with arthritic hands and wrists. Winchester and other American gun makers used to customize special orders for barrels, sights, woods, et al. almost without limit. One thing I have not seen or heard of is the 1895 being made with full- or half-pistol grip. Has such an original Winchester 1895 ever left the factory?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Re: Custom or special order Winchester 1895?

Post by Bruce Scott »

jringo8769
Levergunner

Post by jringo8769 »

well i was at a auction last week and seen one of these for the first time in person...they are gorgeous...but never heard of 36 caliber...they feel amazing in your hands...God Bless,John
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Many thanks, guys. It might just be that the non-straight grips are higher level custom jobs, but to my eyes they are more attractive and almost certainly more efficient tools that the straight grippers.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Townsend Whelen had one. It is in the NRA museum at Bass Pro in Springfield. It.is a nice one.
Slim
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Sorry for the late reply here. This is a yes and no answer. Yes some were made on special order but most of those were done on the early flat side receivers. About the time Winchester went from the flat side receiver to the scalloped receivers (Serial #5000 as I recall) they also changed the lever to a two piece locking design. They did make a few two piece lever's with pistol grips but they did NOT modify the lever they simply made a pistol grip stock that had a groove for the lever to sit in when it was closed. These are rare as they were only made for the special orders they had on hand when they made the transition and didn't accept any new orders once these were filled.

I can look up a more detailed answer in one of my Winchester books if you'd like.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Hawk Creek,
Thanks for the educational reply.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i do like that levergun...A LOT... very nice... :)