Backup 20 ga Shotgun for Coyote Hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Backup 20 ga Shotgun for Coyote Hunting

Post by Old No7 »

I've had a few surprises while hunting coyotes in the past... Nothing as wild as the videos of the guys out west who "get run over" by aggressive 'yotes, but enough to make me want to keep a small/light shotgun handy when I'm on stand with my Triple Deuce Rem 700.

Mossberg makes a dandy "Turkey Thug" model in 20 gauge, with a telescoping AR-style buttstock and pistol grip, with fiber-optic sights, all painted in camo -- but they sell for $579 new at Cabela's. And the best I've ever seen one used in a pawn or gun shop was $450. I had to believe I could do a little better than that...

Well, a lot of watching and waiting finally lead up to this new addition to my stable...

I won this used Mossberg 20 ga Camo Bantam on Gunbroker for only $174 shipped. Other than a few scratches in the paint, it's in excellent mechanical condition and has a 21" barrel with screw-in chokes, QD swivel studs and fiber-optic sights already installed on the rib:
Mssbrg 500 20 pump 1-before (Small).jpg
Then for $90 shipped, I added this Phoenix Technology "KickLite" tactical-style stock kit, in olive drab:
Mssbrg 500 20 Phnx Tech Kicklite (Small).jpg
It turns out the forearm of the kit won't work on the shorter slide tube of the Bantam models, but that's OK, as I didn't really buy the kit expecting to use that piece anyhow. I will add the 5-shell shellholder for sure though.

So here's what it looks like now...
Mssbrg 500 20 pump 2-after (Small).jpg
I call this my: "Coyote Thug"

For less than half the new price of a Cabela's purchase, I think this will work out really well for me. I like the idea of beling able to adjust the length of the stock when I'm dressed up in multiple layers of wool & camo during the c-c-c-cold Maine winters. And the recoil-resisting (spring assembly in tube) feature of the KickLite Stock could be useful someday when the grandkids (none yet...) ever want to go turkey hunting. With the low costs and camo finish, if it gets beat up a little dragging it around the woods, well that's OK, at least I won't be scratching up my nice Browning BPS 20 ga Upland Special.

Now I need to go and call some fur! :wink:

Come to think of it... I just might leave this handy in the house for my wife when I travel on business. It would be dandy in the home defense role too.

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Backup 20 ga Shotgun for Coyote Hunting

Post by ollogger »

That ought to work real nice!
At one time I had a Savage 222 & 20 gauge ou worked great

Brad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I bought Shirley a great little Mossberg 20ga slugster, 24" barrel open sights and tapped for a carrying handle, I put a bantam stock on it for a better fit.
Great gun for HD, I would have preferred a shorter barrel but that would mean even more hoops for her to jump through. :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote:I bought Shirley a great little Mossberg 20ga slugster, 24" barrel open sights and tapped for a carrying handle, I put a bantam stock on it for a better fit.
Great gun for HD, I would have preferred a shorter barrel but that would mean even more hoops for her to jump through. :roll:
Interesting comment John...

Not to derail my own thread... But I thought over there in Jolly 'Ol England that it was against the Law to defend oneself and/or property? Somewhere I recall reading that a farmer got in trouble for defending himself against some wankers and the Coppers said he basically should have given up everything...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Since there's usually close cover where I can hunt/call coyote's here, after a few nasty surprises, I've learned not to call predators solo.

After I had those aggressive coydogs come up VERY close behind me, I will now only sit back-to-back with a hunting pal.

I have, however, this past week converted an NIB 20ga Mossberg 500CC into a gun to use on 2-legged coyotes. ;)

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

My neighbor ended up in a close call with a mtn lion calling in coyotes over a chicken wing tied to a sagebrush.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:My neighbor ended up in a close call with a mtn lion calling in coyotes over a chicken wing tied to a sagebrush.
I used to get a cougar, and bear tag with my deer tag. I called a few times. Then didn't. That Circe 3 in 1 call was just a little too real to be using alone. Plenty of bear, and cougar in my woods (Not that I ever got to see one)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:My neighbor ended up in a close call with a mtn lion calling in coyotes over a chicken wing tied to a sagebrush.
I used to get a cougar, and bear tag with my deer tag. I called a few times. Then didn't. That Circe 3 in 1 call was just a little too real to be using alone. Plenty of bear, and cougar in my woods (Not that I ever got to see one)
Move to Boulder. They come right up to the patio doors and grab runners right off the trails. Everywhere else they're like ghosts. Like any predator, they understand gun free zones are easy pickings.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

ollogger wrote:That ought to work real nice!
At one time I had a Savage 222 & 20 gauge ou worked great

Brad

I have one in 22 Hornet over 20 ga, and have been considering using it. Sounds like it should work out good too. :)
Merle from PA
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old No7 wrote:
gamekeeper wrote:I bought Shirley a great little Mossberg 20ga slugster, 24" barrel open sights and tapped for a carrying handle, I put a bantam stock on it for a better fit.

Not to derail my own thread... But I thought over there in Jolly 'Ol England that it was against the Law to defend oneself and/or property? Somewhere I recall reading that a farmer got in trouble for defending himself against some wankers and the Coppers said he basically should have given up everything...

Old No7
In uk law you are allowed to defend yourself with " like force " so shooting a burglar who is unarmed is sadly a no no.
However, if the burglar has a large kitchen knife for example, a woman or frail old man then using a legally held firearm "should be ok " in reality the police will arrest the shooter and all guns will be confiscated and after a trial, you "may" get them back. At least you are alive and have rid the world of some vermin.
The farmer who ended up in jail used an unlicensed shotgun on a couple of unarmed scum criminals.
IMHO any American gun owner who does nothing to support the 2A is worse than a parasite and is just asking to live in a country like mine :twisted:
Darryl, sorry to derail your thread.
Your Mossy 500 should make a great despatcher of coyotes both four and two legged. :wink: what size shot will you use and will the same shot do for both types of vermin?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You could always go with one of these...

https://www.mossberg.com/category/serie ... uiser-aow/

The tax stamp is only $5.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote:...Your Mossy 500 should make a great despatcher of coyotes both four and two legged. :wink: What size shot will you use and will the same shot do for both types of vermin?
I plan to use #4 Buck (.24 vs .33 for 00 Buck) for the higher pellet count and denser patterns, which will be ideal for coyotes.

Should work just as well on 2-legged vermin too!

Thanks also, John, for the comments you shared about the UK Gun Laws. I pray to God that we never get as bad or restrictive over here, but it's been close a few times...

We dodged a bullet in November and I'm hoping good will "Trump" evil in 2017! :wink:

Old No7
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote:
Old No7 wrote:

Old No7
In uk law you are allowed to defend yourself with " like force " so shooting a burglar who is unarmed is sadly a no no.
However, if the burglar has a large kitchen knife for example, a woman or frail old man then using a legally held firearm "should be ok " in reality the police will arrest the shooter and all guns will be confiscated and after a trial, you "may" get them back. At least you are alive and have rid the world of some vermin.
The farmer who ended up in jail used an unlicensed shotgun on a couple of unarmed scum criminals.
IMHO any American gun owner who does nothing to support the 2A is worse than a parasite and is just asking to live in a country like mine :twisted:
Darryl, sorry to derail your thread.
Your Mossy 500 should make a great despatcher of coyotes both four and two legged. :wink: what size shot will you use and will the same shot do for both types of vermin?
If only every gun owner here was that wise (the bolded line)!

Darryl, we're having a horrendous coyote problem here, and the idiot local politicians aren't letting them be trapped or shot - so they keep picking off pets.

Fortunately, a dead coyote tells no tales... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

S-S-S
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:...We're having a horrendous coyote problem here, and the idiot local politicians aren't letting them be trapped or shot - so they keep picking off pets.
Time to start: (a) Baiting the back yards of the Pols, or (b) Give them all new pets.

And they'll be the first to yell & scream if God forbid a toddler is taken or threatened.............

Old No7
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I already have more than enough stuff to carry when I head out coyote hunting. My backup is on my hip, as it keeps me hands free, and doesn't add to the load I already carry.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/