Visiting Nurse asked if we own firearms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Visiting Nurse asked if we own firearms

Post by EdinCT »

My wife just had a knee replacement and when the visiting Nurse came she asked if we owned firearms. My wife said yes with out delay, she was then asked are they locked up? I then told the nurse that my Father would of asked her a pretty crude personal question and then said that's not my business and neither is my gun ownership yours. I was told its a matter of our safety to which I replied, if I wanted to do you harm do you really believe I would answer that truly?
My wife said I'm too uptight. What a bunch of idiots we have in this country and now the visiting nurse has entered my personal business in a data bank some where. I have been taught to always tell the truth but I would be tempted to say no to her question not that big brother doesn't already know I own firearms.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Visiting Nurse asked if we own firearms

Post by Pete44ru »

I had that happen, from a doctor.......... once.

I immediately asked the doc's VN to leave, and sought another provider.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

JUST SAY NO!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I'd have asked if she wanted to see my collection.
Then ask if she preferred revolver or semi auto.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

My doc usually takes a break at my table at the gun show. He's either selling or buying too. I asked his nurse one day if she was gonna ask me if I had any guns (during her taking my vitals) and she said heck, no! "I learned right away not to ask that question around these parts". Idaho panhandle....
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I 'CCW' but sometimes miss the middle-c... :oops:

During a woman's physical/pap a few months ago, I turned to put the specimen in the vial and although we had been talking about her kids and their college issues, she suddenly said "I really like it when I see someone exercising their Second Amendment rights...I just got a SIG 938 and really like it..."

For a second I was confused, then I realized my sweater had ridden up, exposing the muzzle of my 1911...

If your doc isn't ACTIVELY pro-gun, then I would have a hard time trusting their integrity... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

AJMD429 wrote:...she suddenly said "I really like it when I see someone exercising their Second Amendment rights...I just got a SIG 938 and really like it..."
Well that just shows she has great taste in firearms -- and Docs! :wink:

When a nurse asked me that question once... I blurted out: "Do you have any sex toys at your house that I need to know about???"

THAT shut her up for good! :shock:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I would have asked her, "why do you ask?" If she said she was told to ask all patients by her superiors, I would have questioned her further by asking her, "do you think it's the right thing to ask" or "have you questioned your superiors why they want to know as this line of questioning does not make sense".

Had she answered to your "why do you ask" question with a reply that said it was her own personal question, I would have told her, "you voted for Hillary, didn't you because I can see your a timid and scared person so why don't you hit the road because if there is a problem with my wife's health I need a strong willed person to respond, not some weak crybaby who goes to bed in the fetal position holding her teddy bear?

My guess is that she is asked by her superiors and most likely needs a job so does what she is told to do.

I don't have to concern myself with that line of questioning. My doc shoots machine guns and carries a Glock. Last time I was at the doc about two months ago he gave me hell for not getting a colonoscopy and I keep telling him we have no family history of any kind for colon cancer so he responds by asking me, "Well Jack, beings you know so much about taking care of your body, do you clean your antique Winchesters after you shoot them even though they never had any rust on them before?" ---6
Model A Uzi’s
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The way a gun-owner responds to such queries usually answers the question.

Any resistance beyond an unhesitating answer of "NO!" indicates a high likelihood of ownership (and your name goes on "The List").

IMO, a good response to such a question is: "Excuse me?" ... as if you didn't quite hear the question, or like their words were garbled beyond understanding. When they repeat the question, politely respond: "I'm sure I don't understand...?"

When they stretch to provide explanation, politely interrupt them and state: "Pardon me, but I find this discussion... unsettling", and thereafter refuse to acknowledge their question or concern on the subject except to look annoyed, shocked, or disgusted that a person would ask such a question in polite company.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Tell you have a gun. Tell her you also have an axe. And several sharp knives. Tell her you have a motor vehicle that can travel at 150mph with 15 gallons of high explosive in the back, on roads where the only safety feature is a long white painted line. Tell her that she will eventually die no matter how many safe things you own. Tell her that once the human race dies out in less than a hundred thousand years, that the earth will smother itself in greenhouse gases and then burn up in a fiery star and there won't even be dust left of anything she ever knew, and when that happens it won't matter whether she ever lived or died.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

I think FWiedner's response is appropriate.

Always polite, never give them a plausible response, or give your hand away.

Besides, it's none of their business.

Mark
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Yes, I like that one as well.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:Last time I was at the doc about two months ago he gave me hell for not getting a colonoscopy and I keep telling him we have no family history of any kind for colon cancer so he responds by asking me, "Well Jack, beings you know so much about taking care of your body, do you clean your antique Winchesters after you shoot them even though they never had any rust on them before...?"
.....oooh, I'm gonna use that one....! :twisted:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I follow Nancy Reagan's advice, "Just say no"
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Lots of extensive ways to respond, but if I responded at all I would prolly say something like "If I thought it was any of your business I would have told you before you came into my house"... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Look here, a "gun list" is worthless to the government. Those bastards already know everything about everyone of us. We are being tracked at our every move. Like one guy here, who wrote a month or two ago about receiving a notice in the mail when his truck reached a certain mileage.

If you pee off the Feds, with one click of the mouse, your bank account is cleaned out and your going for an audit. H is famous for this.

I dont try to hide anything anymore. I am who I am and screw anybody who does like the way I live. I live within the law and if they pass a law that says something is illegal today, which was legal yesterday, THEY are going to be the ones who have trouble. There is no way any crazy law can be enforced. There are tens of millions of us who own firearms so that means WE are the ones in control.

This is why Donald Trump won. Most people "think" like my above paragraph, but most are afraid to talk about it. I'm not.-------6
Model A Uzi’s
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

The simple advice I read a while back was to Immediately say, "no I do not" and act offended by the question, as though owning a gun was a bad thing.

The writer's opinion was that such a response would immediately end that line of questioning/interrogation, and leave the impression with both the health care "professionals" and your personal medical record that you don't own a gun.

As one person noted above, we believe that such is none of "their" business, and this tactic is the easiest way to keep "them" out of that aspect of our personal business.
Bulldozer
Levergunner

Post by Bulldozer »

Do I proudly own firearms? That is a privilege I have!
Are they locked? Only for their own security!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My Dr asked me a couple years ago what rifle he should get that's easy to carry and has enough power to thin the apple robbing deer on his farm. I of course mentioned the Winchester model 94 in thutty thutty. Well the nurses all know I am a big time hunter, and gun guy, so they ask me about stuff for their boyfriends and husbands. A year ago one of the nurses was smiling and being silly when she said the Doc had some questions for me so they could update the paperwork. Yup he asked me THE QUESTION. I immediately responded NOPE, he replied, didn't think so, and that was the end of that.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:...she suddenly said "I really like it when I see someone exercising their Second Amendment rights...I just got a SIG 938 and really like it..."
Well that just shows she has great taste in firearms -- and Docs! :wink:

When a nurse asked me that question once... I blurted out: "Do you have any sex toys at your house that I need to know about???"

THAT shut her up for good! :shock:

Old No7
I will need to add that to my response list! :lol: :lol: :lol:
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Bulldozer wrote:Do I proudly own firearms? That is a right I have!
Fixed that for ya. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

When asked the question, I would have said it is an inappropriate question and you need to leave now. Then walked her to the door.
Bulldozer
Levergunner

Post by Bulldozer »

claybob86 wrote:
Bulldozer wrote:Do I proudly own firearms? That is a right I have!
Fixed that for ya. :)
Thank you claybob!
In USA, it is a right, but here in France, I think it is only a priviledge. Because, the law here is - roughly - as follow:

No one can own a firearm in France with the exception of:
- Authorized civil servants such as: military, Police….
- People making a movie
- Museums
- Industrialist involved in firearms business
- Companies involved in security business (for example those who carry huge amount of money for banks)
- Companies who are considered as threatened (example : a jeweler)
- Anyone who own a shooting license or a hunting license (thanks god !!!)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

So far no this question has never come up. I hope it doesn't as I'm not sure I'd be as polite as some here seem to be. I'd probably start off with: "It's NOYDB!" and then then leave or send them packing, which ever is appropriate.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I would say "of course" and then I would ask if they every actually found people who don't own firearms, and if so, how they helped them make their homes safe.....do they help they select firearms...? Is there funding available to help people who can't afford proper firearms...?

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Bulldozer wrote:
Thank you claybob!
In USA, it is a right, but here in France, I think it is only a priviledge. Because, the law here is - roughly - as follow:

No one can own a firearm in France with the exception of:
- Authorized civil servants such as: military, Police….
- People making a movie
- Museums
- Industrialist involved in firearms business
- Companies involved in security business (for example those who carry huge amount of money for banks)
- Companies who are considered as threatened (example : a jeweler)
- Anyone who own a shooting license or a hunting license (thanks god !!!)
My mistake! :oops: Guess I figured that since you have firearms, you might be in one of the towns called Paris in the U.S.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

AJMD429 wrote:I would say "of course" and then I would ask if they every actually found people who don't own firearms, and if so, how they helped them make their homes safe.....do they help they select firearms...? Is there funding available to help people who can't afford proper firearms...?
Now that's an interesting approach.

It: Do you gave a gun in your home?

Me: Is that question required for Obamacare?

It: Yes, it is.

Me: What kind of gun do I need? How much will insurance cover toward the purchase if I've already met my deductible?

It: No, it's about safe storage...

Me: So insurance will pay for a safe too? That's a good deal.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I have them hanging on the kitchen wall the dining room walls and the living room too.so i don't have to be asked.

last dr. visit we talked more gun talk then my health,Then i got the finger and left.He shoots 45/70 long range and was asking loading advise.and his son shoots some type 45 combat shoot at there club.said for the time it takes to load he can make enough money to pay for twice the ammo he needs.But without insurance he cut my bill from $87 to $42 a visit.and has been everyone in my family's Dr. for years now and a young guy so he should out last me.I hate it when they retire and you have to find a new 1.

my last dr. was a big game hunter and had went on safari every year and went on duck hunts from cruse ships were they take you to a island and by nite fall your standing on a rock in the middle of the ocean.said that him and the dog just had enough room to stand by the time they came and got him.But his wife loved it on board ship at the casino all day.she went on 1 safari and made them take her back after 2 daays.

said you get up eat and go hunt and when you get back your camp is set up miles from were you left that morning. and you hunt like 10 different types of game too.Making a couple 100 mile loop and end up were you started.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One Doctor had the question on his paperwork for patient registration. I didn't finish the paperwork. Told them that I had just checked and found out he was not on the list for my insurance. Called the insurance and told them that his paperwork asked questions unrelated to healthcare, and that I felt it was insulting. He received a visit from the insurance company representative.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I am gunna have to remember that piller!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Bulldozer
Levergunner

Post by Bulldozer »

claybob86 wrote:
My mistake! :oops: Guess I figured that since you have firearms, you might be in one of the towns called Paris in the U.S.
You are most welcome, and by the way...
...Yes I have hugged my rifles today !

Nota : I did not knew there was a Paris in Texas!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bulldozer wrote:
claybob86 wrote:
You are most welcome, and by the way...
...Yes I have hugged my rifles today !

Nota : I did not knew there was a Paris in Texas!
There is a Paris in Illinois and Indiana too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

My wife worked for a big aerospace company and she was often asked questions by other employees. Her standard reply was "Do you have a need to know?". If they couldn't give her a good reason to answer, she wouldn't. No need to justify her actions, and I feel the same about my hobby. I don't think anyone has a "need" to know if I have any guns, and I don't have to justify an answer to a stranger.

I lived in Los Angeles area for many years and no one knew I owned any firearms, as I wanted to keep them (my guns) safe...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Bulldozer
Levergunner

Post by Bulldozer »

J Miller wrote: There is a Paris in Illinois and Indiana too.

Joe
Thank you Joe.

According to wiki it seems there are 10 towns/ cities named Paris in the USA!
I am living near Paris, France.
And even here, a nurse cannot reproach me for owning legally my beloved Firearms!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Here in jolly old England, if you want a gun you have to give the police the name and address of your doctor and permission to view your medical records before they will grant you a license to own one. If your doc is anti gun they can make things difficult, they can also bill you for their time filling out forms for the police.

Ain't y'all glad you're on the other side of the pond :?:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote:Ain't y'all glad you're on the other side of the pond :?:
No offense, but HELL YES!!!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"Ain't y'all glad you're on the other side of the pond "

I look forward to your posts, but I think it is you who lives on "the other side of the pond". And yes, I WAS a blond. Before it turned white an mostly departed.

Post by mohavesam »

Lots of interesting responses.

But to the OP: Yep! You're in a database somewhere. And likely that if your adress ever needs police or fire or EMT help, your address and name will have a big orange frame around it on the responders' screens. Not a thing you can do about it now.

Seems the only way to answer a question like that is with a question. Be prepared.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
lazarus870
Levergunner

Post by lazarus870 »

I'm not a nurse but I do intakes with people and I am obligated to ask them questions that I feel are too personal sometimes.

Often times I hope they just say, "prefer not to answer," so i can move on.

I bet she just says it automatically. She probably HAS to ask. Just say, "I prefer not to answer," if you're asked.