Question about hunting spots

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Question about hunting spots

Post by cnjarvis »

Guys,

I've never had to deal with a situation like this and I'm really struggling with how to handle it, so I'm asking for your input here.

My sister's BF wanted to hunt this year so I sent him to a property that I was thinking about hunting on occasion. It isn't one I've hunted before nor is it one I intend to hunt regularly. He managed to tag himself a really nice 8 pt. This isn't the problem.

The problem (for me) is that since I won't be hunting next weekend, my sister wants me to divulge the location of my blind on another piece of property so that her BF can hunt there and tag a doe as well. I'm NOT cool with this.

On the one hand, I want to facilitate the free flow of information so that we can both hunt successfully in the event that he becomes a long term/permanent member of the family with the possibility of hunting each others spots. On the other hand, I deeply resent the intrusion into one of my preferred hunting spots.

If it sounds like I'm either confused or want to have my cake and eat it too, yes.

Some other points to ponder: I'm not saying he can never hunt this spot, just not until after regular rifle season. The property in question is about 280 acres. It's not like he couldn't hunt the other 277 acres there OR the 160 where he took his buck. HE isn't asking, it's my sister asking. I'm also afraid that if he shoots one of the does, it will spook both them away from my blind, taking the bucks with them.

Boys, I'm just not sure what to make of this.

Thanks for your input.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Question about hunting spots

Post by Blaine »

You gave him one good spot...I wouldn't feel bad about not giving him another. He can go back to the first one, right?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

You already more than did Your part with the first hunt. You have done all the work, and have a blind setup. just say No. I have lost some great hunting and fishing spots to good intentioned people who told every Tom Dick and Harry where to go. the best Deer hunting I ever had in Ohio was in the back of a public hunting area, mostly swamp and beaver dams where only Me and a couple other die hard's would walk to.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Kind of a slippery slope...
I see no reason why you should give up YOUR spot. You have taken the time & put in the effort for your spot. I'd tell your sister that until you have a chance to get in the woods and have the opportunity to take a deer for yourself he can hunt that 160 acres. It's 160 - let him find another spot there to hunt a doe.
I hunt 3 properties, 90,111, and just at 200 acres. The 90 acre piece my buddies and I have killed over 30 deer in three years. Granted we have liberal limits and we are managing it for forestry, not big bucks. We hunt 5 or 6 stands over and over and see deer all the time.
As far as scaring away a buck, other deer, I have seen deer eat corn from stomachs of gut piles of other deer. The only thing I'd be concerned about is spreading loads of human scent around your spot.
Your ethics are not in question, I'm sure he is grateful for you showing him/allowing him access to that 160. Now it's your turn!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

If he's serious about deer hunting he won't learn anything with you holding his hand, he shoots another one from your stands and he'll be an expert ,and will be giving YOU lessons,lol I've seen it before.
Plus, how you going to get rid of him after your sister marries and divorces him? :mrgreen:
Tell him to go back to the first spot, you've seen a herd of does there!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Simply put...no. It takes balls to even ask someone that, almost the same as "hey dude, beings that you sit home on weekends, can I borrow your car?"

It happened to me 15 or so years ago. I was a nice guy and told a very, very good friend where my spot was but kindly asked him to hunt several hundred yards from it as I was going to be there a day or two later. Well, this guy snagged a buck and hurriedly told me, "I got a nice buck today" and when I asked him what section he told me, "right at that twin forked tree where you hunt from".....then he laughed exclaiming that it was no big deal as I did not own the land. Sure enough I found the gut pile the next day and the empty '06 case next to the tree. In addition to that and other sneaky gestures, I have not had nothing to do with him after that. Here's the kicker, this guy was my own flesh and blood, my brother.

It why I keep most people an arms length from me anymore. Seems like the majority of people are only out for themselves. The older I get the more I find out about people and the less I have to do with them. Your call...don't be a wuss.------6
Model A Uzi’s
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've found that wile I can pick my friends, I likewise cannot pick my relatives.

Like the mothers from MADD: Just say "no".

I hope your Sis doesn't put a guilt trip on you over it.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Quit stressing. Say no. Tell her Exactly what you told us. You cultivated that spot over time and if it gets hunted improperly once you fear it may no longer be a good spot and you'll have to start over.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Just say no. No explanation is needed.

A woman won't 'get it', but the guy should.

If he doesn't, he's not someone you need around anyway.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Just a simple NO will be loud enough.
I have been in the same spot a couple of times and YES never works out. No good deed goes unpunished!

hayabusa
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

Another vote for NO. Your spots your call, no need to explain yourself.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I took my sisters husband, (who I got along with real well) to a few of my all time favorite hunting and fishing spots. He then in turn, brought everyone he could find and shared these same spots with them, they brought their friends ect. Stil ticks me off, I tried to talk to him about it but he couldn't see the problem with it, but then would ask if he could borrow some ammo or if I had another gun a friend of his could borrow. No more taking some people anywhere.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I thought as much. Thanks for your input gentlemen. I told her no, and that it was non-negotiable before I posted. I just needed some moral support.

I think HE gets it but sis doesn't. Like I said, HE wasn't the one asking. Sis however, is plenty butthurt. She'll have to get over it.

What will make this difficult in the future is that my mother owns all the land and after she goes, there won't be a buffer in the event of a disagreement. The land is in a trust and my sis and I will be co-trustees.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

cnjarvis wrote:What will make this difficult in the future is that my mother owns all the land and after she goes, there won't be a buffer in the event of a disagreement. The land is in a trust and my sis and I will be co-trustees.
That being the case, and seeing that there appears to be several acres available for another hunter to work, I still don't see why you'd worry about asking him not to hunt your stands.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

First off, I think 'husband' would earn more hunting-rights than 'boyfriend', but that's just because I'm old-fashioned.

One thing you could do is put a couple ladder-stands up in places you WANT him to hunt, and take yours down.
Switch to climbing stands and then if he's lazy he'll use the ladder stands... :lol: :wink: :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

In that case, maybe offer to give him a general idea of where not to hunt and a better idea as to where to look for a good place for himself. Maybe even take him on a hike and point out some potential good spots and how to look for them.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I'm in the no..not my stand, but heres a couple good places WE can set you up a stand of your own, group. Kinda sets limits and offers friendship all at one time. Also gives him semi ownership and encourages stewardship of the area.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

AFTER they're married...
(Maybe...)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

What are you people trying to teach this guy.

Here in Oz we would not say "no".

It just wouldn't be the right thing to do.

Our response would be a heck of a lot more colorful, and would contain at least 3 F's.

I also think he's got a cheek sending your sister, instead of growing a couple of brass ones and coming to you himself.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

If you share your hunting spots, next it will be your guns and your dawg. Where does it stop?

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Couldn't agree more with not sharing your stand! You may end up having to share the land for hunting after your mother is gone, but that doesn't mean you have to do any guide service or set the BF up with your best hunting spot.
Sounds like your sister really doesn't understand how personal many of us take our hunting areas.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Agree with those who favor the "No" answer.

Also agree with what 6Gun posted above: "It's why I keep most people an arms length from me anymore. Seems like the majority of people are only out for themselves. The older I get the more I find out about people and the less I have to do with them."
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Is it possible that it is just your sister asking, and maybe he has no knowledge of the request?
Maybe she is trying to get some more points with him, or she is just pushy?
Sounds like a sister I and my other sister have no contact with.
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

It is to much to ask of you. You did your job by putting the best foot forward. I am afraid now you are being taken advantage off. I would say no or find him some other place to go wander about that you are not interested in going. He should be asking you not your sister.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The answer is, "No!" for all the reasons listed above.

But...why can't he shoot a doe out of the stand he already tagged his buck? It's not like the place its tapped out or something.
I have shot deer in a location one morning and then in the afternoon watch deer sniff the gutpile. Shooting one will not run all the others off forever and ever amen. The other day I spooked 3 deer out of a clearing as I climbed into my stand. (Had to wade through them to get there). 45 minutes later 2 of them came back like nothing happened. All it takes is time for the woods to calm back down.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I wouldn't have any trouble saying no.

I remember reading a book about trout fishing years ago where some people would actually follow successful anglers to try and discover their favorite spots. If you scout out and find a great place there is no reasonable expectation that any ethical sportsman would expect you to share that spot.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Even if you are ok with it, I would think the dude should be the one asking you not your sister. He needs to grow some.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
1894c

Post by 1894c »

growing up in the streets of NY, and always one to protect the neighborhood...if someone asked me where I hunted I would politely point them in the opposite direction and add additional distance for good measure... :O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Remember that old saying? "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile!"
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/