Old J.C. Higgins Model 20. Thinking about a project.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Old J.C. Higgins Model 20. Thinking about a project.

Post by 2ndovc »

I have this J.C. Higgins 12 gage that was given to me about ten years ago by a friend of my mom's. I gave it to No.2 Stepson who showed very little interest in it. I repossessed it after he dropped and split the butt stock.

It's got this nifty compensator on the end of it. I do have a full choke (fitting? tube?) for it.

So what I was thinking was I can fix the stock but I'd like to have someone cut the barrel back and reinstall the poly choke. It doesn't get any use in the configuration it's in but it works great and would make a fun blaster if it were a little shorter.
They're only worth $2-250 so I'm not altering a collectable and the guy it came from would think it was a slick idea.

Just thinking out loud here. Going to work on the stock this weekend. wondering if anyone out there knows a gunsmith that would be interested in and capable of this little project.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old J.C. Higgins Model 20. Thinking about a project.

Post by JerryB »

Good looking old shotgun. At first glance I thought that looked like an old Cutts Compensator on the barrel.

Maybe GunnyMack might be able to help you with it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Although I have never installed. Cutts, I have done screw in choke tubes. But that depends on wall thickness. Gotta have enough for threads to be cut. Colonial choke used to make a thin wall tube, not sure if they are still on the market.
If it was me, I'd put tubes in (if walls are thick enough), more versatile. other option would be to check GUN PARTS for barrels, may be cheaper then the labor to install a fixed choke...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jason,
I too, have one of those JC guns down here in the gunroom. Mine has the variable choke tube and is an excellent shooter and it's a solid 98% gun. It's one of about a dozen guns I keep loaded and strategically placed throughout the property.

What I was thinking on doing to this gun is to enhance it by installing a full length mag tube. The barrel, with the variable choke is only 26" long.

On the other hand, if someone sent me $250 I'd deliver it to their door.

Model A Uzi’s
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Those pumpguns are brothers from another mother, being store-branded High Standard Flite Kings - and were once the Gold Standard for squad-car-cum-riot guns.

I haven't checked www.corsonsbarrels.com or www.barrelexchange.com , but think locating another H-S Flite King barrel rather iffy.

I think that's a base for a Cutts Compensator, as I've never run across a vented/compensated PolyChoke..

IIRC, the Cutts bases were soldered onto the barrel, so I'd cut the barrel back so that, with Cutts base soldered back onto the mew muzzle, at a total barrel length of 18" (shotgun barrel can be made shorter than the federal 18" minimum, as long as they measure at least 18" with a permanent extension).

I'd further WAG that the barrel's OD is a tad thicker back there, so either the new muzzle's OD or the Cutts' ID would most likely need to be altered for a good fit (solderable) at the new location.

Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Any real gunsmith (not a scope installer) can do the job for you, it isn't rocket science. You might consider having the barrel threaded for removable choke tubes. It probably wouldn't cost a lot more and would give you a more versatile gun.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The device is a Pachmayr "PowerPack".
Choke tubes are be available from parts houses.
The barrel is solidly threaded to the receiver and not interchangeable.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just looked at Gun parts website, I know the H.S. Flute King, have one in 410, they list parts, no barrels.

I'd still consider choke tubes or find the missing parts to complete existing comp
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Those pumpguns are brothers from another mother, being store-branded High Standard Flite Kings - and were once the Gold Standard for squad-car-cum-riot guns.

I haven't checked http://www.corsonsbarrels.com or http://www.barrelexchange.com , but think locating another H-S Flite King barrel rather iffy.

I think that's a base for a Cutts Compensator, as I've never run across a vented/compensated PolyChoke..

IIRC, the Cutts bases were soldered onto the barrel, so I'd cut the barrel back so that, with Cutts base soldered back onto the mew muzzle, at a total barrel length of 18" (shotgun barrel can be made shorter than the federal 18" minimum, as long as they measure at least 18" with a permanent extension).

I'd further WAG that the barrel's OD is a tad thicker back there, so either the new muzzle's OD or the Cutts' ID would most likely need to be altered for a good fit (solderable) at the new location.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Setting the whole thing back to 18" plus1-2". I have the choke tube that fits into it, you can just make it out in the top photo. I'd like to keep the original '60s coolness of it intact so installing modern choke tubes won't look as good/ evil. Otherwise I'd just buy another used 870.

Just the wacky thoughts that run through my head.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"