Memorial Day thinking

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Memorial Day thinking

Post by Rusty »

I've done research and found that I two ancestors that were killed in battle fighting for their country. My Great, Great, Great uncle Adolfus Frederick was a member of the Maryland Confederate Light Artillery, 2nd Battery known as the Baltimore Battery. I found information about him through the soldiers and sailors website run by the National Park Service.

One thing I haven't been able to find out is information about a great uncle Robert Frederick. I have his pocket watch. The only thing I know about him is that he was killed in WWI. Does anyone know of a website that lists American Dead from WWI? The only thing I have found is sites that make you pay to join.

Thanks,
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Memorial Day thinking

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very interesting Rusty! I hope someone here knows the answer for a free website to do some research on WWI veterans. My grandfather was a WWI veteran. In my office is a letter he wrote to his girlfriend (at the time), who would later become his wife and my grandmother. It is dated 5/20/1918! :D

Good luck!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I did a search using this free site: - https://www.abmc.gov/database-search and came up with:

Robert B Frederick
Rank - Corporal, U.S. Army
Unit -115th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division
Entered Service From - Maryland
Date of Death - October 10, 1918
Status - Missing in Action
Memorialized - Tablets of the Missing
Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery

Hope it's of some help.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thank you so much Bruce. This means a lot to me. I have never been able to track anything down other than some family rumors.

Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

My pleasure.

One of my great uncles was also killed during WWI and, like yours, has no known grave. His name is recorded on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I too have a uncle killed in 1918, fighting with the1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, no grave, just a name on the Poziecres Memorial. RIP.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A few books you might find interesting by H.W. McBride, "The Emma Gees" and "A Rifleman Went to War."

McBride was an American with Scottish roots. When it seemed to him the America was taking too long to get into the war he went to Canada and enlisted to go fight the Kaiser. I highly recommend both books.