Darne Double Stotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Darne Double Stotgun

Post by Griff »

Saw this today. First example I've seen in person:

16 ga., unknown serial number unless it's on the lever.

Not mine, but apparently a previous owner wrapped it up in a blanket with a bunch of other guns... caused a bit of damage... a ding here or there.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Darne Double Stotgun

Post by Blaine »

I learn something new every time I log on here.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Never handled on myself but would like to try one out.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

In the early 60's this time of year I spent way too much time slobbering all over Shooter's bible, and I think Gun Digest. I thought the Darne was the cat's A**. I never saw one in person either but thanks for the pic's. :D .
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's been a long time (35+ years) since I've handled one, but IIRC, the SN was atop the action flat, visible after the breech is moved out of battery.

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
That is a unique action. I wonder of the strength as compared to a Greener. If it was designed for BP then no issue.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

For another unique French sliding breech shotgun Google "Baby Bretton Shotgun". Both the Darne and the BB were very light (the BAby Bretton was a shade under 5 lbs for a 12 ga.). I lusted after both for their lightness back when I hunted for grouse in the hills of SE Ohio. The truth is that they would have probably knocked the snot out of me.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I haven't see one in the flesh either, just drooled like the others over the guns for sale section of Gun Digest.
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Darne also made some big bore SxS double rifles,but have yet to see one that made it over here... Nate
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A friend of mine in high school had one he bought for a measly $25 back in the late 60's. His was highly engraved,12ga. And had a retractable sling in the butt stock. He killed many bunnies with it over my Beagle named Brave. Those were the days.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought a pair of them back in the mid 80's . One was 12 gauge and the other was 20 gauge they were bring backs after WWII(well that's what the guy I bought them from claimed) . Both the ones I had , had the Prince of Wales semi pistol grip . The 12 gauge weighed about 6 1/2 pounds and the 20 was if memory serves 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 pounds .

The 20 made an excellent grouse gun for the mountains of Virginia but it would literally pound the s...h...I...t out of you shooting a round of skeet . Believe it or not the 6 1/2 pound 12 was far better for the skeet field .

I dunno about the one picture but the pair I had shot my normal skeet loads and at that time my skeet loads were as stout if not stouter then factory .

A Darne is stronger then some folks give it credit and this is coming from someone who is adamantly anti French . Back in the 70's or 80's the company was sold to one of the workers and the name was changed to Bruchet . And then later I think the guy that bought the company was able to use the name Darne again . Anyway the ones that are being made at the present are being called Darne again .

I always thought one of these in a 28 gauge would make a wonderfull mule wagon quail hunt gun . The little R-17 in a 28 gauge would more then likely weigh just a hair under 5 pounds .

I remember reading an article in the American Rifleman back in the late 70's about a guy that was in Vietnam and wanted to bring back a war souviner . They had a pile of shotguns in Saigon I think it was anyway this guy went thru the entire pile of like 300 or so . He found I think it was 5 Darne guns and 3 or 4 American doubles . And he brought back one of the Darne guns seems to me it was a higher grade as well . Most certainly one that was stolen from a French plantation by one of the VC .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I remember seeing one in some kind of publication years ago. It's been something I've always wanted to see in person.

Congratulations Griff.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It ain't mine, we had a spot of flooding and the guy the wife hired to help with the drying out saw the ammo cache and a couple of my shotguns laying about, and was talking to my son about this strange old gun he bought from a widow and asked if he knew anything about it. My son didn't, but when he came over yesterday to pick up his equipment, he brought it along to ask me. I asked if it was okay to take a pic or two, as he wanted to know the value. I told him he at least quadrupled his purchase amount, even if it wasn't in the best of shape (from being bundled in with other guns and no padding). It looked as tho' it locked up good and tight, and I didn't know how to take the barrels off until I had some time to research. I'd have looked it up before, if I'd have known he was bringing it. I don't know if the number on the bottom of the locking lever was the serial number, nor could I see any proof marks. From what I've read, those, and the serial # are on the barrel bed. This one shows up in the picture as a little rusty, but, it's really quite clean, he just keeps it wiped down, and it's getting that natural patina of an old oft-handled gun.

It has a two piece stock, so I'm guessing after 1910.

6pk-sitka, I understand that Paul Buchet's son bought the rights to the Darne name, and that's why they're again produced as Darnes. The proof mark will provide the detail as to what the individual gun is proofed for... smokeless or black.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Very strange - never knew of such an animal.

I glean from the posts that this action somehow makes the shotgun lighter than one in the same gauge of the more traditional break open action - no?

Or - what was the purpose of engineering this action? For instance, one drawback I see right away is how the breech gets in your way when it slides back as you reload, accompanied by the awkward way you have to drop and slide in the shells instead of just dropping them in the chamber of a standard pivot barreled model.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That looks so cool! 8)
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

About that unusual action, again -
...maybe better in a duck blind or through a slit in a barricade, where you want to keep the barrel pointed out - ?? Or as a stagecoach gun?

That's what I don't like with a Henry levergun - the loading port is in the front of the feeder tube.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

My neighbor has a 20 gauge Darne, neat gun. As mentioned above it is lightweight and handles nicely. Being unsure of it's strength he has only shot it with blackpowder loads. I shot a little bit of handtrap with it, no complaints.

Eric
jkingrph
Levergunner

Post by jkingrph »

I have seen 4, the first was a Halifax model in a Turkish gunshop, in Izmir, Turkey back in 1973, the second really may have been a clone as the toggle was marked Dakin, not Darne, but it was highly engraved, asking price was too much so I passed, The third was a little 28 Ga R 14 which I bought, Last was another Halifax, not in great shape an electrician at our hospital had brought back from Scotland when he was in the service over there. Darne still makes some larger caliber rifles . As far as double barrel shotguns go, it is probably the strongest action out there, There is a round barrel extension to the rear, that has a hole on the bottom side. When the toggle closes over and around the extension, a bolt rises up into the hole locking the barrel and toggle securely.

I have another French sliding breech double, a Charlin. Although it looks almost identical to a Darne it is not as strong because of a different locking mechanism. It is a much smoother action because it's breech rides on spring loaded ball bearings. Mine is not a high grade, but has some engraving and what is so amazing is how the engraving on the breech lines up perfectly with that on the frame the instant the toggle drops into the locked position.
Reed
Levergunner

Post by Reed »

I was with 173rd Abn Long Range Recon Patrol. One of our teams captured a Darne in one of the European gauges, 22 or 28. Am sure that some intelligence types picked it out as a souvenir once it had been turned it.
Reed
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

I remember reading articles about the Darne in the '60's. Roger Barlow was the author and was a skilled photographer as that was his real job as I recall. I've never seen one close up and personal but would enjoy the sight for sure.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Friend of mine has a 16 that is highly engraved and like new. It hasn't been shot much, I saw it once... It's a safe queen for sure, just like his original sharpes!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff,
These are a common topic over on the double gun forum:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb ... d=1&page=1

Copy your post and pix over there and see what response you get,
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

before shooting it be sure to check the chamber length - there were some odd one back then. :o
Merle from PA
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Merle wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:26 pm before shooting it be sure to check the chamber length - there were some odd one back then. :o
Especially in 16ga. My 1890s drilling was a bit less than 2-1/2" inches and had to be opened up to take PolyWad "Vintager" 2-1/2" loads...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!