A New Year's word to Newcomers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

A New Year's word to Newcomers

Post by Pisgah »

First of all – WELCOME! By subscribing to this Forum, you have made a decision to increase your knowledge of a field that is new to you, and that is commendable. Hopefully the regular contributors will give you all the information you need to enjoy your new pursuit in safety and with great satisfaction. I am currently subscribed to six online firearms Forums and find much of value in all of them, and my hope is that you will, too. But allow me to pass along a word of caution. These comments are not focused in this Forum alone, mind you, but to all similar sites online, and I will post the same message on every one in which I participate.

Probably 25% of the information you will find here is solid gold, posted by people who really know their stuff. They have not only read every available bit of published information on their subject but have also expended considerable time and resources to find arcane, long-out-of-print materials that contain stuff that was true 100 years ago and is still true today. Then, they have put that knowledge to the test by actually building those firearms themselves, or making up those loads and testing them systematically, or hunting those critters, or going armed in to harm’s way and living to tell about it. They’ll tell it like it is, warts and all, and will be as eager to tell you of their blunders as they are to brag of their triumphs. Treasure what you learn from them.

Another 25% have done at least the first part of the above – they’ve read it all! They’ve compared all their sources, thought it all through, and reached what they believe to be, and often are, reasonable conclusions. The only thing they lack is experience – and unfortunately, many of them are reluctant to admit that fact. No real criticism meant here – it’s human nature-- but you should always apply at least a grain of salt to what they advise.

25% of posters have read innumerable gun magazines, and they’ve spent time soaking up local gun shop lore. Here, I begin to advise real caution on your part. I read gun magazines, too, but keep in mind that many gun magazine writers have less-than-pure motives. They are writing to make money, dealing with deadlines, depending on manufacturers for access to new products. To write something critical, even if clearly called-for, can be too much like biting the hand that feeds them. Honestly, some never seem to encounter a single bad gun or load – and that, frankly, is not just unlikely but downright impossible. As for gun shop "experts" – I will state this flat-out – there is no better source of out-and-out BS available.

The final 25% – well, what can I say? Some are trying to sell something, period. Some are cranks who know nothing of what they speak, but are seeking some twisted sense of self-esteem by deceiving others in to thinking them "experts". And some I can only believe are pursuing their own malevolent agenda with no regard to those who may be hurt by their foul spoutings.

Don’t let me discourage you. There is real gold to be mined here but, just as in life, there is no free lunch. Don’t expect to be spoon-fed everything you need to know; if something you hear here sounds good, great – but remember Ronald Reagan and "Trust, but verify!"

Again, welcome, and best of luck to you in your new endeavors.
Levergunner 1.0

Re: A New Year's word to Newcomers

Post by 457121 »

I think your percentages are a little skewed. The first category should be more like less than 1%. This would also pertain to every forum on the web, no matter the subject.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:shock: :o I had no idea.... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

A story I'm fond of, if not true, it should be.

Theodore Sturgeon was a science fiction writer of note. At one time at a sci-fi convention he was approached by a disgruntled fan who blurted out, "90% of science fiction is cr ap!"

Ted replied, "90% of *everything* is cr ap."

I've followed his wisdom and it's worked out well for me.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Read it all and make your decision as to what will help you.
Some will and some wont. It never hurts to do more research if an answer does not seem quite right.
Lots of free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don’t expect to be spoon-fed everything you need to know;
If you're directed to where to learn the information yourself... consider yourself lucky. For that then becomes information you'll know forever.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

If I recall correctly, 87% of all statistics are made up.
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, I'm a big mouth, but you know what? ...I can back it all up.....from most every cartridge levergun, single action revolver and double actions guns from the 1870's to the Great War Of 1917. Anything after that is child's play and can be learned from books.

Try to make a cartridge gun from the 1870's-1900 period shoot beer cans at 300 meters and then report back. Like the Pagans Motorcycle Club, I'm a 1% er. :D -----6
Model A Uzi’s
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I come here for the pictures

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is the finest forum on the web. The vast majority of the people here are family-loving, God-loving, patriots and I am better for spending time here.

Oh, and like bulldog1935, I love the pictures too! :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ysabel Kid wrote:This is the finest forum on the web. The vast majority of the people here are family-loving, God-loving, patriots and I am better for spending time here.

I like it here fine....
(Sure didn't take '15 very long to go off the rails, did it?)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:This is the finest forum on the web. The vast majority of the people here are family-loving, God-loving, patriots and I am better for spending time here.

I like it here fine....
(Sure didn't take '15 very long to go off the rails, did it?)
Nope! :wink:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

All I know about this darn place is, no one ever gives decent advice NOT to spend hard earned cash on firearms... :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Amen to all of the above 8)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

game keeper wrote:All I know about this darn place is, no one ever gives decent advice NOT to spend hard earned cash on firearms... :?
That's a fact right there :lol: :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not too many 'internet blowhards' here when it comes to leverguns or other firearm related stuff. Opinions of course, but usually backed up by facts, or at least by - other opinions... :wink:

When we get 'Political' though - all bets are off... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, this place is 100% enablers.

Probably another 75% are picture junkies.

There are many, probably 25%, that are knowledgeable about some aspect of firearms related subjects.

So when you add those up you get.........wait.........what were we talking about?

Anyway, I guarantee that 100% of the time I don't know what I'm talking about. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

"Mall Ninjas" don't seem to last long around here. Mebbe 'cause those that really know don't tolerate the BS from the arm chair "experts" :lol:. I truly believe there aren't many folks here that will comment on something they are not sure about and/or rather familiar with...

But then again, I still put peanuts in my RC cola...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

mikld, where were you raised, you posta put a nickel sack of peanuts in yer coke bottle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I come here to learn. Unlike some other forums, I find a high percentage of people here who are knowledgable, have lives outside the internet, have successfully held jobs, careers, raised families, and learned stuff I have never had a chance to learn.

Many of the members here were shooting long before I was born.

For that matter, many of the members here actually shoot, they don't just post about shooting.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Funny thread.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Larkbill wrote:If I recall correctly, 87% of all statistics are made up.
Nah...Snopes debunked that....so you're full of it :D :lol: Of course, Mythbusters confirmed it.....
mikld wrote:But then again, I still put peanuts in my RC cola...
JerryB wrote:mikld, where were you raised, you posta put a nickel sack of peanuts in yer coke bottle.
I was gonna ask the same thing! They do that in Oregon? Of course, I have two separate, wayward family branches that strayed off to Oregon...they may have tainted the whole place. Down here it's pronounced ARRa-O-C Cola.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

RRRRRR O C Cola and Moon Pies, Coke and a sack of peanuts.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

now I want a Moon Pie.

make it a banana Moon Pie.

I listen a lot on the forum and contribute where I have direct experience.

However, if the topic swings to fly fishing or antique fishing tackle, I'm your guy...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Dang newcomers and their thread drift :lol:

They make peanut rounders right down the road from me....anybody need a roll? They'll do if you can't find Moon Pie or Royal Crown Cola
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

umm, goo goo clusters
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

JerryB wrote:mikld, where were you raised, you posta put a nickel sack of peanuts in yer coke bottle.
In Watts (South Central L.A.) it was RC cola (16 oz. bottles) and we usually shop lifted the peanuts...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

bulldog1935 wrote:now I want a Moon Pie.

make it a banana Moon Pie.

I listen a lot on the forum and contribute where I have direct experience.

However, if the topic swings to fly fishing or antique fishing tackle, I'm your guy...
Thanks for the images. I have a couple of Pfleuger Supremes still with their boxes. One of them still gets fished a lot.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

then you'll like these, too - Supreme direct drive on American Fork & Hoe steel rod

This is the first model Supreme, 1920, Douglas patent - what's left of the original silver plate (not nickel-, but silver-plated brass)
It's anti-reverse, with the most complicated clutch mechanism ever on a reel. Rotate handle backwards 1/4 turn, the clutch disengages and the level wind flier drops
In wind, the flier pushes the line to one of the end lifters, which drop the line into the flier groove
if you want to see more of it, here's my rebuild of the reel
http://orca-online.org/reel-talk/viewto ... =6&t=11836
Pflueger went to all this trouble because Shakespeare had Marhoff's level wind patent

Many folks run across postwar Summits (Model 1993L - plated brass) in their grandad's tackle box. This is a prewar Summit, solid nickel-silver (Marhoff style level wind)
Image Image

Shakespeare B, s/n 127 (1910) twin-screw - the pawl is a pin that gets pushed between the two worm gears at either end

Another falling-guide design, Meisselbach Okeh
the frame is cut from nickel-silver tubing
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

bulldog1935 wrote: Image Image
Wow...now that's what I call bling...:mrgreen:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

bulldog1935 wrote:I come here for the pictures

darn good reason. Nice Low wall too.

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

really pretty - I couldn't get a set trigger when I bought mine
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

bulldog1935 wrote:really pretty - I couldn't get a set trigger when I bought mine
set triggers are way over rated. I have 4 of them on my Winchesters alone. I won't have another.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

man, that wood gives me...never mind
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bulldog1935 wrote:man, that wood gives me...never mind
I'm not sure how everyone is getting pictures to show big....The site sez I'm limited to 1000x1000 pix :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I'm posting 700 or 800 wide, using Image
(I've since replaced the buckhorn with a folding Marble's rear)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Came upon this thread accidentally, but thought it worth dredging up to the surface..... :wink:
Pisgah wrote: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:18 pm First of all – WELCOME! By subscribing to this Forum, you have made a decision to increase your knowledge of a field that is new to you, and that is commendable. Hopefully the regular contributors will give you all the information you need to enjoy your new pursuit in safety and with great satisfaction. I am currently subscribed to six online firearms Forums and find much of value in all of them, and my hope is that you will, too. But allow me to pass along a word of caution. These comments are not focused in this Forum alone, mind you, but to all similar sites online, and I will post the same message on every one in which I participate.

Probably 25% of the information you will find here is solid gold, posted by people who really know their stuff. They have not only read every available bit of published information on their subject but have also expended considerable time and resources to find arcane, long-out-of-print materials that contain stuff that was true 100 years ago and is still true today. Then, they have put that knowledge to the test by actually building those firearms themselves, or making up those loads and testing them systematically, or hunting those critters, or going armed in to harm’s way and living to tell about it. They’ll tell it like it is, warts and all, and will be as eager to tell you of their blunders as they are to brag of their triumphs. Treasure what you learn from them.

Another 25% have done at least the first part of the above – they’ve read it all! They’ve compared all their sources, thought it all through, and reached what they believe to be, and often are, reasonable conclusions. The only thing they lack is experience – and unfortunately, many of them are reluctant to admit that fact. No real criticism meant here – it’s human nature-- but you should always apply at least a grain of salt to what they advise.

25% of posters have read innumerable gun magazines, and they’ve spent time soaking up local gun shop lore. Here, I begin to advise real caution on your part. I read gun magazines, too, but keep in mind that many gun magazine writers have less-than-pure motives. They are writing to make money, dealing with deadlines, depending on manufacturers for access to new products. To write something critical, even if clearly called-for, can be too much like biting the hand that feeds them. Honestly, some never seem to encounter a single bad gun or load – and that, frankly, is not just unlikely but downright impossible. As for gun shop "experts" – I will state this flat-out – there is no better source of out-and-out BS available.

The final 25% – well, what can I say? Some are trying to sell something, period. Some are cranks who know nothing of what they speak, but are seeking some twisted sense of self-esteem by deceiving others in to thinking them "experts". And some I can only believe are pursuing their own malevolent agenda with no regard to those who may be hurt by their foul spoutings.

Don’t let me discourage you. There is real gold to be mined here but, just as in life, there is no free lunch. Don’t expect to be spoon-fed everything you need to know; if something you hear here sounds good, great – but remember Ronald Reagan and "Trust, but verify!"

Again, welcome, and best of luck to you in your new endeavors.
I agree with the comment "this is the finest forum on the web".... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "