Civil War Medal of Honor.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Civil War Medal of Honor.

Post by cshold »

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Civil War Medal of Honor.

Post by GonnePhishin »

Interesting story but why now??
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

It not now, given that we cannot turn back time, when would be better?

These belated medals bring attention to the real history of what happened and, as such, seem to be more than deserving.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The only tragedy is the insult conferred due to who is presenting the medal... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

No insult at all. He is the President, plain and simple. Why demean the award in this way? It is about the recipient, not the master of ceremony.

Ditto to this man http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/15/us/adkins ... ?hpt=hp_t2

Amazing that such amazing people could go unrecognized for so long.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Brent: well said.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Ray Newman wrote:Brent: well said.
Agree.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Agreed
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

It is the CONGRESSIONAL Medal of Honor.. Not bestowed by the President..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yup !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:It is the CONGRESSIONAL Medal of Honor.. Not bestowed by the President..
Yes, and it sounds like it was earned 'the hard way'. I am in no way demeaning the man's heroism.

Still, they could have Mickey Mouse hand his descendants the award and it would not take any more away from the recognition of his honor and bravery.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

No insult at all. He is the President, plain and simple. Why demean the award in this way?
Kinda hard to "respect" him when he has such utter contempt for America, the Constitution, the Republic, and our way of life.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

UncleBuck wrote:
No insult at all. He is the President, plain and simple. Why demean the award in this way?
Kinda hard to "respect" him when he has such utter contempt for America, the Constitution, the Republic, and our way of life.

Keep it to the medal winners, take the rest of it somewhere else - like the political forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:It is the CONGRESSIONAL Medal of Honor.. Not bestowed by the President..
Yep, the more he's "forced" to present, maybe he'll actually gain some understanding of what constitutes "service" above and beyond.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

It IS NOT "the Congressional Medal of Honor."
Slow is just slow.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'd be looking for the name Cushing on Obama's list of campaign donors.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

cas wrote:It IS NOT "the Congressional Medal of Honor."
correct, the nomenclature is Just the "Medal of Honor" --- i think the "Congressional" part was inserted by Hollywood long ago --- but much like .45 LONG Colt , the nomenclature has persisted -------

Its kind of a funny game when i ask for something .45 Colt, and the salestard blurts back "45 Long Colt?" -- and i say - "No, .45 Colt" ---- and he/she will educate me that they only have items in 45 "Long Colt"
----- Doug
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Streetstar wrote:
correct, the nomenclature is Just the "Medal of Honor" --- i think the "Congressional" part was inserted by Hollywood long ago --- but much like .45 LONG Colt , the nomenclature has persisted -------

Its kind of a funny game when i ask for something .45 Colt, and the salestard blurts back "45 Long Colt?" -- and i say - "No, .45 Colt" ---- and he/she will educate me that they only have items in 45 "Long Colt"
Hard to argue with her when the idiot gun companies and ammo companies call it that on the box and stamp it on the barrel.

I just bought an Uberti that has .45 LC stamped on the barrel. Go figure that you spend that much time and effort making a great reproduction gun.

On FB the question comes up often, "Can I shoot .45 Long Colt in my .454 Casull?"
I say no, but you can shoot .45 Schofield. 45 Government, .45 Colt, and .454 Casull in your .460 S&W. Then watch the fireworks. (oh, and .45 ACP if it will take moon clips)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

AJMD429 wrote:The only tragedy is the insult conferred due to who is presenting the medal... :|
To tell you the truth, while the Marine that presented the flag off my father's casket to my sister last Friday did say something to the affect of "From the President", I gave it no weight. Our President had nothing to do with what was going on.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gobblerforge wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:The only tragedy is the insult conferred due to who is presenting the medal... :|
To tell you the truth, while the Marine that presented the flag off my father's casket to my sister last Friday did say something to the affect of "From the President", I gave it no weight. Our President had nothing to do with what was going on.
Gobbler
Actually, that is the phrase that is traditionally used. "On behalf of our President and a grateful Nation..." It's been reported that he's asked that it not be used... but, I've only read of second hand accounts of that... nice to hear that may not be true. Condolences on your loss.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Thank you, Sir.
Click Click Boom
2LT Van Cott
Levergunner

Post by 2LT Van Cott »

We were taught to say "...on behalf of a grateful nation..." with no mention of the President.
Your obedient servant,

Lieu't Van Cott
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

The history of the Medal of Honor during the Civil War is quite interesting. Several were award then revoked years later by an oversight committee.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

BrentD wrote:
UncleBuck wrote:

Keep it to the medal winners, take the rest of it somewhere else - like the political forum.
Concur
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

It is not referred to upon presentation as the Congressional Medal of Honor. However, Congressional is contained within the official website of their society.

http://www.cmohs.org/medal-symbolism.php
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

"The Congressional Medal of Honor Society is so designated because that was the name it was given in an act of Congress that was signed into law by US President Dwight D. Eisenhower on August 5, 1958 as Title 36, Chapter 33 of the U.S. Code. The law authorizing the society has since been transferred to Title 36, Chapter 405 of the U.S. Code"
(Citation: 13)

And also:

"Though the correct title for our Nation's highest military award is the MEDAL OF HONOR, the organization that represents the men who wear it is the CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR SOCIETY, for it was established and chartered by the U.S. Congress."
From: http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/history/society.html
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

It is NOT the "CONGRESSIONAL" Medal of Honor. It is the "Medal of Honor", plain and simple.