New to Me Win Model 55...Another Sight Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

New to Me Win Model 55...Another Sight Question

Post by CBinNH »

I picked up this Model 55 in .32 Special recently. Thanks to you guys here I was able to establish that it has a Lyman #21 sight. I was shooting it today & it is shooting about an 1 1/2" to the right. The front sight (Lyman #4) is already offset a little to the right to where I don't really want to move it any more. When I tried to tap the rear peep to the left, I had no luck. I was wondering if I am supposed to put the correct size screw in the hole pictured on the left of the sight to expand the rails the peep rides on. The rails have tiny serrations.
Image[url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/CBNH/me ... 8.jpg.html]Image[/url
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: New to Me Win Model 55...Another Sight Question

Post by Sixgun »

It's supposed to be a hard "drift". Put a block of wood to support the main sight and tap it with a brass punch. In other words, you don't want to bend that $500 sight.

Just use a hard, sharp rap. Make a mark on the sight housing so you will know if it moved or not.

You say one and a half inches....at 100 yards? If so you will only need to tap it about .030 thousandths or say, about 1/32". Shooting an inch and a half off could only be the sunlight. Try it on a cloudy day or with the sun on the other side and you will see it shooting that much on the other side.

If your dead set on readjusting, do it on a cloudy day.------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Thanks for the response 6. I was shooting at 50 yards & it was cloudy today. I was using factory loads. Maybe I'll load up some with some H4895 & attempt adjustment when I find a good load. I'll be needing to roll my own if I plan on shooting it much.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sometimes they don't line up center. I have two pre-64's that have the rear sight waaaay off to the right to sight in. I didn't notice it for years. One day I just realized the peep was about even with the right side of the hammer when sighted in. It bothered me at first, then I forgot about it, and don't worry, as the guns shoot so well.

I haven't been able to figure out if the receivers are bent, the barrels are off kilter somehow, or what the heck it is. Like I said, I just decided not to worry about it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm assuming you made sure the side lock lever was snug. Anything loose just confuses things. When I adjust sights that are adjusted by a gentle hammer tap I usually let it alone until I decide on a favorite load. Then I settle in sight it and not bump the sights after as it is a bit of a pain to readjust.

I also try to use a hard plastic punch shaped by a file as I find brass work hardens to darn near steel hardness quickly.

By the way that is a very nice rifle congrats. The 32 Special is definitely special!