re-hash bullet, caliber, shot placement, performance

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

re-hash bullet, caliber, shot placement, performance

Post by Grizz »

If anyone remembers my 44 mag load notes recently, here is a hunting article that could be germaine:

http://www.bigboreairguns.com/07bisonhunt.htm

His slug has a 110gr advantage, my 405gr has a 247 fps advantage. Without relocating the slide rule I'd say that both bullets are going to kill the bison. My guess is that in a penetration jug test the heavier bullet might penetrate more, but I just don't know. At 50 yards my 44/405 is traveling 907 fps, still fast enough to penetrate firewood rounds in the grain direction. And of course a 405 from a 45/70 can stomp all over the airgun in terms of effective range.

The airgun delivers stunning performance and somewhat validates the 44 revolver load. Sorta.

Oh well, I thought it was interesting after all the hot talk about the 40 whiz-bangs. Yeah. :lol: