Wayback machine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Wayback machine

Post by Bill in Oregon »

No, I'm not talking about Sherman and Mr. Peabody, but you youngsters in your mid-50s and younger can move along now.
OK, fellow aging baby boomers, does not this obscure instrumental take you back to the early 1960s, when our own parents were young, girls were girls and the future seemed full of promise for America? There is something about the arrangement that covers a lot of bases that put me firmly in the year it was recorded. The piano work also reminds me of the theme song from "Route 66." Kinda makes me want to put a dab of Brylcream on my comb and slap on a little Jade East.

8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H16g8i5GoOY
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wayback machine

Post by awp101 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:No, I'm not talking about Sherman and Mr. Peabody, but you youngsters in your mid-50s and younger can move along now.
Easy there old timer, at your age we don't need you taking a spill getting off that soap-box... :wink:

FWIW I grew up on music like that. I don't recall that exact song but I remember Take Five being a big player at our house. So was Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66 for that matter. Dad was (and still is) a fan of early 60s jazz like that so I heard a lot of that and blues.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and find A Day in the Life by Wes Montgomery. Wonderful jazz guitar work from the mid to late-60s and a very unique and soothing playing style. In fact, here it is (if the link works): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ooeMXnP ... uYyfzjEtjQ

Back up link just in case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ooeMXnP ... uYyfzjEtjQ
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice stuff Andrew. I used to have a Ramsey Lewis album covering some Beatles tunes that my father liked a lot as well.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Yep, a little dab will do ya. I would recommend Hai Karate over Jade East. As for '60s Jazz, it's John Coltrane for me.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

That was a hit with my wife.. she just put it on her cel phone for her ringtone.. thanks for sharing.. I remember Jade East.. a little overpowering for me, but some of the girls liked it...Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

martini,,,,,shaken, not stirred. 8)
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Good stuff guys. Also some elements of some James Bond music in there (tempo, some melody etc) I grew up to a lot of that too. Brubeck and Take Five was on our tape machine all the time, as well as a lot of other jazz of the day. Nelson Riddle's Route 66 was great. Enjoy it all to this day. +1 to Wes Montgomery. The greatest. As a guitarist myself, I eat that stuff up. Gee, not sure it all stacks up to Beiber though? :roll:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I remember that type of music well. And, it had an attraction at the time. But, I was also heavily exposed to "real" country and western music (you know like Sons of the Pioneers and Patsy Cline). Still like many I became enamored with "our" music. It started as RockABilly, and transitioned into Rock and Roll. Then came acid rock and soul. But, as I got older, I rediscovered "real" country and western (today's country is really soft rock or as I call it RockABilly, hmm seems circular don't it). And, even later Jazz, which sort of spread into Blues then slipped sideways into Swing.

I guess what I'm getting at is that as I got older, I rediscovered some really great music I had ignored for decades. And, here's the really cool thing, we don't need a Wayback Machine. We have the internet, on which you can find almost anything (though I'm still looking for the theme song from the movie "Escape in the Sun").

So, to the OP, thanks for another reminder of what we Baby Boomers were lucky enough to be exposed to as we grew up. I suppose every generations felt this way, but I think "our" music (this really has to enclude our parents since we listened to it when we were very young) is the best.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

gak wrote:Good stuff guys. Also some elements of some James Bond music in there (tempo, some melody etc) I grew up to a lot of that too. Brubeck and Take Five was on our tape machine all the time, as well as a lot of other jazz of the day. Nelson Riddle's Route 66 was great. Enjoy it all to this day. +1 to Wes Montgomery. The greatest. As a guitarist myself, I eat that stuff up. Gee, not sure it all stacks up to Beiber though? :roll:
Yes, Nelson's version was good, but then besides playing a doctor on the 70's show Emergency, Bobby Troop was one heck of a musician and song writer. Heck, any guy that could wed and bed Julie London had to have something on the ball.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My favorite early '60s TV theme music (Besides Rawhide) was the music from Peter Gunn by Henry Mancini.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I,m gonna have a hat printed. "No,I'm not that old..Your music really does SUCK"
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Les Staley wrote:I,m gonna have a hat printed. "No,I'm not that old..Your music really does SUCK"
:lol: :lol:

My tastes never ran to what was popular on the radio top 100 list.

"Tower of Power" anyone? (one of the tightest funk bands ever, IMO)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91CYA5KdDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5d9dWYruOs
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Heh, Blaine, I saw Tower of Power at the University of Oregon when they were on their "Back to Oakland" tour ...
8)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Heh, Blaine, I saw Tower of Power at the University of Oregon when they were on their "Back to Oakland" tour ...
8)
They are at Jazz Alley tonight, up in Seattle....I'm in penny-pinching mode, or, I would be there in a heartbeat... 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV