Powder for Winchester 32 special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Powder for Winchester 32 special

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Please forgive me if I am resurrecting an old post or rehashing old information but I would appreciate any and all advice that can be given me regarding powder choice for winchester 32 special.
I recently purchased a NEW 1983 vintage Winchester 94 Wrangler -32 spec. Rather than keep this gun new I have decided at my advanced age to enjoy this gun by shooting it.
I currently reload for 45Colt and 308 winchester. My powder selection on hand is limited right now to Red Dot; Power Pistol; IMR 4227; and IMR 4320.
I shoot cast bullets in my 45 Colt rifles and handguns and my old casting friend tells me he has that RCBS 32 170 FNGC mold for my 32 special..I'm thinking to try some both sized at .321 and .323 to see which shoots the best out of this 16 inch barrel.
I'm thinking the 4227 might make a plinking load though I have found this powder very dirty in my 45's.
I am looking for a powder suggestion in mid range loads approaching 2000 fps that you have found that gives the tightest groupings. I'll take consistent accuracy over blazing speed any day.
My longest shooting here would be 150 yards . I'm thinking that at the speeds approaching 2000fps a 170 plus grain bullet will have plenty of energy to get the job done at 100 yards.
This will most likely be the last caliber I will be reloading for at my age and didn't want to have to purchase 4 or 5 different ones to come up with the magic elixer, if someone else has already found the formula and is kind enough to share.
Thank-you and God Bless; Merry Christmas too.
Respectfully
Doc.
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Powder for Winchester 32 special

Post by Old Savage »

I would think a case of 4320 should be about there, maybe 31 to 32 hrs.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, I think you would get good use of a pound of IMR 3031. Ill be using it, and LeveRevolution to load for my .32 Special when it arrives in the next few days.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

3031. You'll be happy.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My 45th Lyman Edition lists both IMR4320 for jacketed 170s... starting @ 31 up to 35 grains. For cast it lists bullet weights of 134, 164 & 184, the 164 being a gas check. It lists loads of 4227 of 16 to 24 grains for between 1319 to 2064fps. Seems like a reasonable starting point if you're not wanting to buy a new powder.

But you're probably going to have the most flexibility with either IMR3031 or IMR 4198.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

3031 is all I've ever loaded in mine.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Thank-you kindly Gentlemen for taking the time to post your answers; It is truly appreciated.
It is looking like IMR 3031 has the most supporters . I figured my 4320 may be on the slow side for cast bullets. I know nothing about that Leverolution is it powder?
I have seen loaded ammunition with that name. I also see it is a on the slow burner side of the border;
I wonder what it would be like with cast bullets or who has reloading recipes?
Thank-you again
Respectfully
Doc
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Try this link for cast bullet loads. There is a lot of info there. There are also two loads on page 94 in the links at the bottom of the page.

http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDa ... start=1881
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Never used 4320, but honestly from what I've read it should do fine for what you want.

Byron
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I fi was to choose a powder it would be IMR3031 (32 gr with the 170 gr. RN) but in truth, you can do well with several powders.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hobie wrote:I fi was to choose a powder it would be IMR3031 (32 gr with the 170 gr. RN) but in truth, you can do well with several powders.
+1
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Many Thanks folks for your kind replies. My local powder supplier and by local I mean almost 100 miles is a gun range. They are open today but are out of IMR 3031. The Gent on the phone said He Had RE 7 and H335 in stock and either would be suitable. What are your opinions of these powders?
Should I wait for the 3031? May I also ask you fellows if I can use a Lee 30/30 Winchester case length gauge to trim new Winchester 32 special brass to length? Apparently Lee does no longer make a 32 special case length gauge but I see that both the 30/30 and 32 special are to be trimmed to 2.04 inches. So I'm figuring the 30/30 gauge and my Lee cutter should do the job. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Respectfully

Doc.

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I believe that 30/30 and 32 Special loads are more or less
interchangeable. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)
I load for the former, but not the latter.

Pick your favorite 30/30 load, and work it up from a slight
reduction in powder charge for the 32 Special. I've got to get
some 3031 one of these days to try. I've used H4895 and
W748 with fairly good, though not outstanding results - yet! :D

As always, report back with your results!

-Stretch
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I reload for my 30-30's and 32 special using IMR4895.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I use H335 in my Winchester 94 in 32 WS and it work fine. 3031 or 4895 would also do well, but 4898 meters much easier.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If you are going to buy a new powder that is a different question. One accuracy approach with cast is to fill the case with too slow a powder for optimum velocity.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have used H335 in 30/30, muzzle blast and flash seemed be alot more compared to 3031 and RE7. 10-15 grs of 2400 work great behind a 170F cast boolit. Again in a 30/30.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I shoot RL7 in a 32 WS with cast or jacketed bullets, also it works for me 30WCF, 38-55
45 colt even a 32-20, I like the stuff

ollogger
Last edited by ollogger on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hobie wrote:I fi was to choose a powder it would be IMR3031 (32 gr with the 170 gr. RN) but in truth, you can do well with several powders.
Spot on Hobie.
I have used this powder and charge behind a Hornady 170FP for many years in many 32WS's with excellent results.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

OldWin wrote:
Spot on Hobie.
I have used this powder and charge behind a Hornady 170FP for many years in many 32WS's with excellent results.
My load exactly. I agree with you and Hobie, ... and it's all I use in my '94. Never has let me down.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Looks like you got all kinds of good load recommendations, Doc. That said, if you want to stick with what you have on hand I believe you are well-covered. I'm betting you get your best cast-bullet accuracy with somewhere between 18 and 20 grains of your 4227 for some velocity range of 1600 to 1800 fps. And if you want to go on to 2000 fps you can do that with around 23 grains of 4227 for still acceptable pressures, but I know that with my 30/30 with cast loads accuracy has deteriorated by the 2000 fps level. And 4227 should burn clean in these loads.

And if you want max power with a jacketed bullet you won't be far off with the 4320. I'd try the powders you have on hand before buying anything else: the old 32 spcl should give acceptable results with a wide variety of powders.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

A Great Deal of thanks is extended to all of you who have responded to my question with your thoughtful and wise advice.
Your patience is truly appreciated.
Earl if I may bother you regarding the Imr 4227 powder load; May I ask what primer is used. Large Rifle Magnum or Just regular? In my 45 Colt with the 4227 I used CCI 350 which are the magnum variety I believe.
I would just like to create a quite accurate load.
Many thanks again Gentlemen
Respectfully
Doc.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Doc, with 4227 I just use regular primers; I wouldn't worry about using magnum primers, though using them wouldn't cause you problems if that's what you have on hand. You are in a somewhat different ballgame when loading for bottle-neck rifle cartridges vs. your straight pistol cartridges and some things will work easier with these rifle cartridges. For example, I use magnum primers for any ball powder with the pistol (having had some failure-to-fire experiences with the standard primer in both 357 and 44 mag) but I have never had such a problem in a medium-capacity rifle cartridge and so don't use anything but a standard primer in them.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Thank-you very much Earl . I'll use my CCI regular large rifle primers then , as I use them with the 4320 and my 308 Winchester.
I appreciate all your help.
Respectfully

Doc.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

This load works well for me in the .32 .
You can see by the shape of the bullet holes that those bullets are not stabilized
and are fishtailing. unstable or not they are accurate.
I also have a 170 gr mold that shoots even better and that is the bullet weight to
shoot in the .32 for long range work.
Have fun!! :D
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Happy New Year Chuck;
That is great shooting. It looks like you have a great recipe for your gun.
My old casting buddy only has that RCBS 32-170 FNGC mold for 32 special. Hopefully I can make up something that shoots near as good as your load.
Thank-you for your information.
Respectfully
Doc.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:This load works well for me in the .32 .
You can see by the shape of the bullet holes that those bullets are not stabilized
and are fishtailing. unstable or not they are accurate.
I also have a 170 gr mold that shoots even better and that is the bullet weight to
shoot in the .32 for long range work.
Have fun!! :D
Maybe thats why the 32WS has more killing power that a 30/30 :lol: :P .I have shot the Aguila 60grSSS and they are accurate to 40 yards but i swear they are going end over end. By the shape of some of the holes in paper.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Good Day ; I am giving an update on my question on powder for my 32 special. I loaded up some rounds with the RCBS 32-170 FNGC bullets sized at .323 and CCI large Rifle primers and various weights of charges with 4227 and 3031 powders.
I was going to fire these off in an unused 1983 era Winchester Wrangler 32 special but was persuaded by some other Club members not to as they put it "RUIN' such a collectible by firing it.
Therefore to appease the Winchester fans I looked for another 94 with which to have some fun.
As luck would have it, my asking around led me to a retired gunsmith who had a Winchester 94 carbine from 1957 in very good condition who was willing to part with it.
This gun was a shooter; my first 2 shots at 40 yards with 25 grains of 3031 were within a 1/4 inch of each other and 2 inches right. A bit of rear sight adjustment and the rest of the group centered. Average velocity of this group was 1745 fps.
I ran a group at 26 grains; 27; 28 and 29 grains The 29 grain group averaged 1975 fps and all groups were within 1/2 inch of the centre and all grouped a bit higher dependant on load.
I never cleaned the barrel between groups and this rifle and powder bullet combination made an old man smile.
I pretty well settled on the 29 grain charge of 3031 as my go to load. Not far from factory jacketed speeds great accuracy and all shots were within 33 fps from highest to lowest in the string; No leading either . What more could I ask for.
Thank-you to all who gave me great advice earlier in the year.
I think I got me a new favorite woods walking around gun.
I didnt have any 32 special dies so I bought the RCBS cowboy dies as they are advertised for the making of cast loads firstly. Maybe there is something to them for cast use as opposed to regular dies. All i know is she sure came together fast.

Doc.

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I've found in my own experience that IMR 3031 works well in that family (30 WCF, 38-55, 375 Win, etc). Of course ymmv. 3031 won't give you the highest velocity but over time it has proven to me be the easiest to work with, give the most consistent groups and is very economical.

Anyway that is wear I would start, find a base line load the rifle likes with that and then spend the next few years trying different bullet/primer/case/powder combinations to see if I could find something better. 8-}

So often in these cases the finding of the answer often seems to be less satisfying then the search.

Wm
elroy63
Levergunner

Post by elroy63 »

I use 8 grains of red dot under that rcbs bullet and an old winchester mold for a 165 grain plain base. No fillers or anything. Little slower than you want though, about 1350 FPS, although the accuracy is outstanding. My sons and I use this for off hand prctice at 2" swinger (two inch) at 65 yards, hits are very frequent! Made shooters out of the boys. We never get tired of that load in the 94's

Earl